How do I avoid swirl marks in the paint?

ghengishahn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Junkman - Talked to Meguiars a few minutes ago and they recommended the following after the M205. They recommended the M07 Show Glaze then do Synthetic Sealant.

Since you did not mention the M07 and I don't always trust the advice of business who also sells the product....do you agree or is this just an added step without value.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Junkman - Talked to Meguiars a few minutes ago and they recommended the following after the M205. They recommended the M07 Show Glaze then do Synthetic Sealant.

Since you did not mention the M07 and I don't always trust the advice of business who also sells the product....do you agree or is this just an added step without value.

Allow me to explain what a glaze is. A glaze is a compound that is used to hide minor imperfection that may be in your paint. It has some protection capabilities but most professional detailers will use a glaze to hide damage instead of removing the damage in the paint. They will top the glaze off with a sealant so that the glaze stays in place until you've washed the car enough to remove it. I call glaze the lazy man's way of fixing paint damage.

With that said, if you want to hide small imperfections in your paint, do what they said. If you FIX all the damage in your paint, you have absolutely no reason to use a glaze. The process he gave you is the process that most folks will love the results of because they are still plugged into the Matrix and don't have a clue how to fix paint damage.

You are not that guy anymore. Welcome to Zion. :)

ghengishahn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks to this thread, I can't believe the difference in the finish on my Viper. Under heavy lights I was surprised how many swirl marks I had.

A buddy and I spent 16 hours Saturday on the it. Clay bar, M105, M205, and Synthetic Sealant. While this was a lot of time, I think I be a lot faster next time. This being the first time with the buffer and all, I just wanted to take my time. Here are a couple of pictures after we completed.

BTW, I used a product called Invisible Glass. It too is an amazing product. Never had glass this clear.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looks amazing! Stoner's IG kicks butt! Did you clay the glass before cleaning it? That will take it one step further and remove all the impurities. I also use two microfiber glass towels and they eliminate streaking. Look for a glass writup soon!

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice. Did you polish the wheels with the power polisher? How did it work in the small spaces?

ghengishahn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looks amazing! Stoner's IG kicks butt! Did you clay the glass before cleaning it? That will take it one step further and remove all the impurities. I also use two microfiber glass towels and they eliminate streaking. Look for a glass writup soon!

No I did not clay bar. Use newspaper instead of towels to clean the glass.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's amazing what the correct technique combined with the correct products can do for your paint. Outstanding job man!

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could someone explain to my ******** why crumpled newspaper is an effective windshield cleaning method?
What about the ink?
I don't get it.

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't get the newspaper thing either. It's an old-fashioned way I think people are stuck on. I like modern technology and stick with the Adam's Glass Towels. Perfect glass every time.

When cleaning the wheels, makes sure you don't use a detergent too harsh for the alum/chrome/powdercoat. I use the Turbo Stick to clean the wheels along with the Adam's Wheel Cleaner. The Turbo Stick is plastic and cloth, so it won't hurt your wheels and saves your knuckles! The WC is great for brake dust.

The best product Ive used to polish alum/chrome is the Mothers Powerball. They have a cone that works well too. I did a comparison and the Adam's Metal Polish gives a much better shine than the Mothers Polish so I use that with the Powerball on our rig.

ViperCollector

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Newspaper is a 'cousin' to paper towels, and doesn't lint like many paper towels do. It was also seen as a form of 'recycling' instead of using fresh paper towels. Newsprint is designed to be slightly absorbent to accept the conventional ink of a high-speed web press without smearing (too much).

It is also the material of choice of this guy:

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alrighty, who next? I know we got some more swirls out there and it is getting close to that time where the northern guys start storing their cars for the winter. This is an excellent time to take a couple of months and slowly get your paint perfect.

Hell, I'd entertain the idea of fixing somebody's car over the snowy months, just to see it gleaming in the spring!

spikeone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
waiting for that sunny/above 0 Celsius day to take car out of garage and give it it's spring treatment

can't wait to try out the new Foam Gun,2-Bucket wash, PC 7424XP I got over winter!

hopefully I get an as good before/after picture as some others in this thread

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frickin' subscribed. This thread is like a Wiki.

Thanks to Junkman for all the extensive, clear info and recommendations. Also to KCobean; the back-and-forth posts have become teaching tools.

I can tell I'm gonna have a love/hate relationship with this car's paint: Snakeskin Green, ultra-forgiving. Black, insane asylum membership. Sigh.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
KCobean's videos are worth solid gold. If it wasn't for him being the guinea pig in this thread, countless numbers of folks would not have learned what they did. Kudos to him for allowing those who have read this thread to learn.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
KCobean's videos are worth solid gold. If it wasn't for him being the guinea pig in this thread, countless numbers of folks would not have learned what they did. Kudos to him for allowing those who have read this thread to learn.

Glad to help. You deserve the real credit AJ. Without your guidance, the videos might have been of me taking a portable bench grinder to my paint. :)

ghengishahn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Junkman, glad you did a bump here. This thread educated me a bunch last year. Thanks for all your help. You are the Master Shiner!:2tu:

GTLaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad to help. You deserve the real credit AJ. Without your guidance, the videos might have been of me taking a portable bench grinder to my paint. :)

Kelly - Maybe you can help me out with my next detail.... I need to do my car bad.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score

We tag teamed them on this one! :2tu:

Junkman, glad you did a bump here. This thread educated me a bunch last year. Thanks for all your help. You are the Master Shiner!:2tu:

Thanks man, I'm just trying to spread the shine. :)

spikeone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So spent a good 5hours last friday doing a full compound/polish/wax

paint was shiny, all went well, fixed some scratches, still had some but for a first time, it did the job good

found some pretty deep scratches that I couldnt get out (keys it seems)

so now, fast forward a few days of it sitting in the garage, decent dust has settled on it, tried washing it but it seems the dust stays kinda stuck inside the wax

any easy way getting this dust off without swirling the car?

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The least amount of contact, the better. I recommend using a leaf blower or air nozzle to blow off as much dirt as possible. If it doesn't remove all the dust, use a product, like Adam's Waterless Wash, as a lubricant to loosen up the dirt and remove with a waffled microfiber towel.

Great dust removing kit:

You must be registered for see images

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So spent a good 5hours last friday doing a full compound/polish/wax

paint was shiny, all went well, fixed some scratches, still had some but for a first time, it did the job good

found some pretty deep scratches that I couldnt get out (keys it seems)

so now, fast forward a few days of it sitting in the garage, decent dust has settled on it, tried washing it but it seems the dust stays kinda stuck inside the wax

any easy way getting this dust off without swirling the car?

What do you mean by "the dust is stuck in the wax"? Can you see it or feel it? Did you clay the car before you did anything?

spikeone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yup I clayed the car after the 2bucket wash

when I mean "stuck in the wax" I mean even driving the car wont get the dust off, so it seems "stuck" in the wax, now when I clean it, I just put a car cover over it to keep dust from setting on it

TR930

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JM,

Thanks for all of this information, learned alot. Gonna give your recommendations a try and see how it turns out!

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JM,

Thanks for all of this information, learned alot. Gonna give your recommendations a try and see how it turns out!

Keep us posted on how it goes. If you run into any problems, we're just a post away. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave