How do you quite down a 3 inch exhaust?

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my wife, and neighbors think my randomtech cats and B&B catback are just too loud.
i may have room past the cat still under the side sill for a muffler of some kind.
the subexhaust area has a X pipe so no dice there.

has anyone added mufflers to quite it down in this location?
Where to get a set of mufflers that would fit where the stock resonators were?

Any advice appricated.

Jim

S

SUN RA KAT

my wife, and neighbors think my randomtech cats and B&B catback are just too loud.

Any advice appricated.

Jim

What do you think is too loud?

If you think it sounds just right, and you haven't gotten any anti-noise tickets with it, then your wife and neighbors need to get used to it.

I have Belanger headers, Random Tech cats, the 3" Corsa cat back, and my wife and neighbors don't complain, especially after I added the Roe Supercharger. The Roe Supercharger actually made my system a little quieter - one more reason why all YELLOW Vipers MUST be Roe Supercharged.

BTW - You can tell your wife and neighbors SUN RA KAT says so. :D

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
LMAO at JIM...

You Freak'n *****. Put your wife and neighboors in their place! Not one person around here has openly ******* about my exhaust, and I come home at 1-4 AM usually!!!

SOLUTION: if your want to be quiet, dont accelerate quickly, and dont go over 1750 RPM.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
PS- or, you can just do what I did... CONDITION the neighboors.

Take the car out a bunch of times in a row, being as LOUD as possible. Then, start being quiet again. they will thank their lucky stars that you are trying to now be quiet, and SHUT THE H*LL UP about it in fear you'll turn LOUD again... hehe

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drive down your street in first gear, about 45 MPH. Then let off the gas about 50 yards from your driveway. Seems to work in my 'hood....

Or you could call Summit or Jegs. I'm sure they have silencers that can be used on 3' pipe.

VEETENN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I felt the same way about my 98 GTS after I put on the Ballenger headers Random Tec high flow cats and Corsa 3".
It is the high flow cats that are making it so loud and raspy. Put the stock cats back on after opening the ends to 3", it will make a big difference. It will still be loud enough to sound good and healthy but it will loose that real loud raspy sound. Thats what I did and it sounds great and only lost about 4HP.

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim, I know exactly how you feel. At first the sound was tolerable,
but now I would just enjoy being able to accelerate without scaring
everyone. If you do a search on the internet, you will come across a few
companies that manufacture SS mufflers, in all shapes and styles.
The only drawback is sorting through the prices, they tend to run a little
steep.

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just switched from a 3" rear exit with flowmasters to side exit exhaust and it was too loud for my taste. A quick call to Summit got me a perfect sounding set of Dynomax RaceFlo (or ProFlo maybe was the name) 3" in/out cheese graters. The set cost something like $125, not bad. They put the tone perfect - quiet during mellow driving and flat out WAY LOUD under boost. They BARELY fit behind the heat sheild and side sills, but they do.

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[******], now you got me scared! I just ordered a set of Randomtech hi flow headers (3") and the car (1994 RT/10) already has Borla exhaust. Some headers from a Gen2 will be added as well. I just though it sounded too weak the way it was, which is why I got all this. Am I in for a big surprise?

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not too loud! Your being brainwashed. Use the Jedi mind trick. Just tell them over and over "It's not too loud"

HEMIPOWER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take the cats off. Drive around like that for a few weeks. Put them back on and they will think it is the quiestest car ever made. Lol.

OP
OP
J

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow!
great reponses!
to clarify it is a little too loud for me.. and alot to loud for them.
I like Dan's conditioning trick!
and i have i open it up at the end of the street all the time.
but the zone from 1500-3000 is louder than stock.. 3000 is quite no drone no problem.
I am just curious because a long road trip might get annoying...

It will be quite the car alittle or bog shift a lot..
Well give it a few more weeks to let everyone settle down...
only prob.. moving in the fall so next spring a whole new set of neighbors to pissss off. :)

lleone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmm... I never thought too much about the neighbors. I guess that's one more reason why I like living off of busy roads. My car is lost in the general drone of buses, trucks, bikes, and other cars. That and I sleep better at night with all of those wonderful motors out there singing me to sleep.

My biggest problem was the cabin noise. Search for some of my old posts if you care. I did some sound dampening and isolation, but it was a lot of work for little return. However, if you want to isolate your pipes from the frame, I have enough wave and star washers left to do another car. It'd take 4 hours or so. I'm still in Rochester so I'm just down the pike from you.

Lou

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim,

The HF Cats definitely make the exhaust louder and raspier. I recently added HF cats to my existing 3" Corsa and it increased the sound volume considerably and changed the tone to a raspier note. I thought it might be a bit much at first, but I like the fact that I can now drown out the ricers that pull up next to me.

You could go back to stock cats and it would quiet it down quite a bit and give you the sound you are looking for, though if you are like me you already tossed them. I just take care to idle out of my cul-de-sac in 2nd gear to minimize the chance of upsetting the neighbors. One of the benefits of living in a working class neighborhood like I do is that I am still quieter than some of the bikers that live down the road :) .

--- Ken

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
JIM- One thing to remember, the car will be LOUDEST to you with both windows closed, followed by 1, and then both open.

As far as cruising, dont worry about it! there is virtually no drone in 5, and NONE I could notice in 6th.

The HARSHEST reverberation the exhaust makes is durring medium acceleration at 2000 RPM...if you can deal with that, your golden.

OP
OP
J

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lleone,
thank you for the offer.
here is my game plan..
call Mike Adams in the morning and order 2 new front pipes only from B&B.
Then have Mike if he will do it.. add 2 mufflers to those pipes.
Sort of like the resonators that were on the stock setup.

That way easy 1 piece swap out. and i change back and forth if desired.

worth a shot if it can be done that easily...
thanks for the info.
Jim

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My biggest problem was the cabin noise. Search for some of my old posts if you care. I did some sound dampening and isolation, but it was a lot of work for little return. Lou

One word my friend. Corsa. Absolutely no cabin drone. I was skeptical at first but after 4000+ miles at every rpm range it does actually eliminate it totally. Will have to hook up sometime and you can hear for yourself.

lleone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HDaddy,

I bought my 2000 used. The first guy had done the [******] headers, cats, and open resonator. No muffler. I keep thinking I'm going to cut the reso's out and put mufflers on. But then I hear the car. I really have become addicted to the sound that setup makes.

I know, I know, stop compaining...
Lou

MHQC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How timely, just ordered a set of RTech HF cats and the Corsa 3" catback from JonB this morning. After the number of posts on this, it seemed to be the setup that pleased the most amount of people and upset the least. Like everyone else, I am trying to gauge noise levels. I have a set of flowtech headers on the vette and I drive with them 1/2 open, and it is just a little loud (not much). I will assume the Viper setup will be a tad less...(right)?

I can't wait to get these things!!! :D

pjb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ive got the B&B headers/Roe Oval Cats/B&B cat-back going on my 97 this week. i cant wait to hear this set up! right now its entirely too quiet. then again, i hope its not TOO LOUD. we'll see what happens:)

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I empathise with this problem - I've been there too! Got complaints from (ex) wife and neighbours.

It was a problem because I'd spent a lot to have these awesome free flow 3" pipes made that were perfect - every bend, all coated in polished aluminium etc - the whole setup looked like a work of art and sounded great - but loud and resonated at cruise!

Solution - had a custom straight thru muffler made - as big as could be fitted into the biggest orifice under my car - it was SQUARE (ugly man - looked like a mail box) and very heavy.... but result?

89BD under full power - same as stock!!! No power loss at all! Was quiet as a mouse driven slow - and still sounded great (but quieter) under full power. Trade off was weight - that muffler weighed 16lbs. No such thing as a lightweight system that flows to the max and is super quiet... not without using anti-sound vibration technology anyway - and most of us don't have access to that. The Japanese rice turbo guys have some of the best mufflers out - the Trust brand is tops for flow and sound deadening - not sure if they make anything that will fit - but they are heavy too.... to lose least power get it as far back as possible - front mufflers **** power.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Back in the 60s when I was a motorcycle guy, there was a device that mounted in the end of your exhaust pipe. It looked like a washer with a hole in it, mounted on a shaft that went thru the end of the pipe. If you turned it one way, you had a restriction, turn it sideways and the exhaust was just about unrestricted. It had a knob with a detent.
The restricted position gave a very quiet sound from a straight pipe BSA Goldstar motorcycle. It didn't hurt the power at low throttle.
The whole thing just mounted at the end of the pipe.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe117 - did that device have a magnetic pulse by any chance?

:D :p :p

Just kidding - rememmber the Supertrapps? They were simililar but more bothersome - you ran more or less discs for top end or bottom end and quietness - they still make them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456