How do you say "No" Politely

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look at your driver's side door jamb. It'll be there.

What tires do you have? This may only be a gen 1 issue, but I know my door jamb says 35 psi but that was specifically for the original tires on the car that are no longer made. I believe the normal pressure for PS2's is 29 or 30 psi.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hummm.......to answer your question

"NO"

Now, for MYSELF, that's the same answer for the majority of people.

If I am with a Viper buddy/friend that I trust..and he's 'viperless', I will ask him if he wants to drive.... just because I am old fashioned in a way AND because it's 50mph faster in the passenger seat.

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What tires do you have? This may only be a gen 1 issue, but I know my door jamb says 35 psi but that was specifically for the original tires on the car that are no longer made. I believe the normal pressure for PS2's is 29 or 30 psi.

I currently have PS2s. OEM on my car was Pilot Sports. My door jamb says 29psi, which would have been meant for the PS. Remember, the info on the door jamb is what Dodge recommends for that size tire. Doesn't matter what brand. Since MattDillon asked about "stock" tire pressures, he needs to use the pressure indicated on the door jamb. :)

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few years back, I succumbed to an instructor's offer to show me how to knock a second off my time at CMP. Now, the guy is good, and drove Vipers at a Barber-like operation for Chrysler.....but it was still a gut-wrenching choice.

Recall that CMP is where the footage we've all seen of the bozo who allegedly "lost the brakes at the top of 4th" (he didn't, I heard the story from someone who was there that day and had access to the "event")......all I said to the guy was that if I was featured in a follow up video I'd have to kill him and his family (we're actually good friends but I meant it!).

We did a few laps and he indeed showed me where I was leaving time on the table, the car was fine and I'm a little faster there now.

Even though it went well, I'd never do it again.

Not even if a combination F1 and drifting champion asked. Maybe if Danica Patrick wanted to drive it (naked) but only then.

Like the others have said, just say NO.:)

Smokin' 2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's a valet? Are those the guys I pay to tell me where I can park my car? They always look puzzled when I do not give them the keys.

I have let fellow viper owners that are good friends of mine drive both on the street. My non viper friends haven't asked....yet. I have had a few ask for a spirited ride. I've only had one beg to get out of the car. :omg:

Most have the viper grin and a few that rode along on the track said it was better than a roller coaster.:2tu:

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine have been driven by my wife, my daughter, my step grandson, my son-in-law and a couple of co-workers (a man and a woman). Less worry letting them drive with me along than when I leave it with a Viper Tech. It's a car, it's insured, it is not even the most expensive car I own. Everyone I let drive it has respected and babied it. One let me drive their BMW 650 and another let me drive their Honda 2000. The BMW was worth both my Vipers at the time. This stuff about not letting a potential buyer drive your Viper is just nuts. If either of the sellers I bought from had told me that I would have told them to "piss off."

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
laugh hysterically at him and laugh so much its uncomfortable and then laugh a little more to make the point

:rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh:
I just tell them that my insurance doesn't cover anyone else but me....:dunno:

This is what I say if I'm trying to save someone's feelings (friend, *********, etc). Normally, I just give a "no" and a chuckle to let them know I think its funny they even asked :D What surprises me is the amount of people who ask to drive and then say "oh, its a stick, nevermind, I can't drive a manual trans car".

LaViper

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
:panic::nono: Not good to start a Bad Habit. Bad things happen to Good people. Why take a chance? Give then a ride. My Wife doesn't even drive mine.:drive:

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've only let one person drive mine, and he's a close friend, probably a better track driver than me, has a stable full of exotics he let's me drive, and could walk to the safe in the house and hand me cash to cover the car if he wrecked it. Hell, when Tony had his bbq this summer, my Viper was in the shop and he tossed me the keys to his GT2 so I could have something fun to drive down.

Other than that, nobody has even dared ask me.

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just tell them that it's more powerful and dangerous than they realize and I value their friendship too much to risk it. For my Son, the answer was H*LL NO! Only DarkShadow on the board (same year and model of Viper) will get the keys when he asks. He's ridden my bikes and has always been respectful of the power that both the crotch rockets and his car can offer. He's also done high performance driving schools on bikes and in his car ... I know he can handle it and we play tag every chance we get.

Face it ... these cars are pure power with no Granny controls. NOBODY is used to driving high powered cars unless they have their own Viper. Hitting the drag strip is NOT the same as driving on public roads.

Just say 'No' .. if that doesn't work, somebody needs to re-evaluate the friendship of the person who is asking!

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting....I have driven the Vipers of Four different posters in this thread :D
But hey.....what can I say...I'm a grandpa so it can't be that bad !!

Don't think I've driven Chads though....supposedly it's some kind of "collectors edition" :eater:

(and all kidding aside, something I take very seriously and am honored to have the trust of these folks)

Notable mention: Big thanks to Utahviper for loaning me a car for all of VOI11 !!

Last edited:

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have let my brother drive my car and some friends, but I am always with them. I don't think I would let someone just take the car out unless I knew they could handle the car and not do something stupid like dump the clutch in the middle of a turn...

If you are worried that your friend is going to wreck your car, just let them know you would feel uncomfortable if they took your car out and you couldn't live with yourself if something happened...LOL!

Another thought - direct them to this thread...

Golfer15

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Back on topic. A simple, "No," will suffice. If they continue to be pushy about it, tell them to buy/rent their own. Or you can just ask them if you can try out their wife/girlfriend. :D[/QUOTE]

Yaaaa !!! Take them for a spirited ride !!!;)

OP
OP
M

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great Answers Guys, I get the idea now. By the way on the way to pick up my son today nobody was comin down the road so I gave it just a LITTLE bit of gas in 2nd gear & before I knew it the rear end started comin around on me. Thats the only reason I did it just to see about what everyone was talkin about & now I know. These cars are very dangerous & you Definitely need to learn how to drive them before you even think about speeding in them & it can happen before you even know it. I also think I will be attending one of those driving seminars in the near future. I've had some fast cars but I've never had one that could get away from me so quickly. Stay Safe!

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting....I have driven the Vipers of Four different posters in this thread :D

Don't think I've driven Chads though....supposedly it's some kind of "collectors edition" :eater:

(and all kidding aside, something I take very seriously and am honored to have the trust of these folks)

Notable mention: Big thanks to Utahviper for loaning me a car for all of VOI11 !!

Don't you have some of that "grandpa" proof on video of you "baby-ing" my car while you were taking care of it :D

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I currently have PS2s. OEM on my car was Pilot Sports. My door jamb says 29psi, which would have been meant for the PS. Remember, the info on the door jamb is what Dodge recommends for that size tire. Doesn't matter what brand. Since MattDillon asked about "stock" tire pressures, he needs to use the pressure indicated on the door jamb. :)

Thanks for the info. I filled mine to 35psi because of the door jamb and was then instructed to change to 29psi.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's an exotic car and therefore I have the type of insurance that only covers me driving the car otherwise it would cost me like 3 times as much:rolleyes::dunno::nono::D.

01 RT SNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've let my buddies drive my car but they drive sports cars, too. I've been in the car with them and just tell them not to get on it too hard in 1st gear and keep it pointed straight. The people that are wrecking these cars have to be just all out reckless in the way they're driving because it's not that hard of a car to drive.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I shoulda said tuners and Viper experts experienced with these cars are excluded!:)

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine have been driven by my wife, my daughter, my step grandson, my son-in-law and a couple of co-workers (a man and a woman). Less worry letting them drive with me along than when I leave it with a Viper Tech. It's a car, it's insured, it is not even the most expensive car I own. Everyone I let drive it has respected and babied it. One let me drive their BMW 650 and another let me drive their Honda 2000. The BMW was worth both my Vipers at the time. This stuff about not letting a potential buyer drive your Viper is just nuts. If either of the sellers I bought from had told me that I would have told them to "piss off."

I completely forgot the buddy I let drive it who has a 900 HP Supra and is a performance driving instructor. His comments were "is that all the power it's got?" and "is that all the better it handles?" I would not ask to drive his car. I know I would mess up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmagnuss