How important is ABS to you? Worth the extra $ for an 01-02?

cayenne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had heard that some inexperienced drivers get scared when they feel the pulsing in the brake pedal, then they take their foot off the brake, or pump it, thinking something awful was going on with their brakes. This makes them fail to slow down in time, and they end up braking less quickly than they would if they were in a non-ABS vehicle. I think that was actually a finding,. or maybe a hunch? from an investigator who was reviewing the crash statistics.

This IS similar to what I experienced in my first (and so far only) car that had ABS. I used to have a 97 C5 vette. First time I had to stand up on the brakes to avoid someone stopping short in front of me...damned pedals started jumping under my foot...horrible chattering noise..I though brakes were failing...

I was just more used to having wheels lock up on me...and turning the wheel to avoid if I had to. i had no idea what was going on....found out later that what ABS was all about.

I guess I just don't like them...they feel weird in that I'm not in control of the brakes...locking or releasing as I needed vs having a computer decide for me.

I'm shooting for a Gen 1...and non-ABS is one reason I'd like it. I'm sure I'd get used to it on a newer one...but, just from that past experience..I just don't feel comfortable with ABS....

My $0.02,

cayenne

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had two Vettes with ABS and my present GTS doesn't have it. I don't think it's a deal breaker if you find a pre-ABS that is right for you. I don't race the car but am a mildly "spirited" driver. Personally I have been in a couple situations where I had to really slow down in a hurry, and felt in control of the GTS all the way without the ABS.

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMHO, ABS,or traction control,or paddle/sequential electronicaly controled gear box,etc don't belong on a race car.
There is no doubt that all those driver's "band aid" will make the car cut shorter lap time but it's also why most of racing (F1 is a good example) is becoming so boring.

Was a time (up to the late 70') where a great driver in a mediocre car could beat a mediocre driver in a great car, those times are gone and replaced by a "technology dependency" where the driver is becoming a smaller and smaller part of the car/driver performance envelop.

After all, when cars and drivers are pretty close in skills and performances, when and how can you gain or loose positions ?
Very simply when you or the other driver make a mistake,and 99% of the mistakes are made when you shift or brake.

As for the street, obviously an ABS equiped Viper is "safer" but if you're after safety,may be the Viper is a wrong choice and a Volvo a better one.

What next, a Viper with traction control?

Luc 00GTS

Bernard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Luc, what a purist you are. I have flat spotted 4 front tires and wish I had it on my 2000 RT/10. I will take the high ground with Luc until I can afford an ABS conversion. I wish my car had the brakes of my wife's 740i. They rock!

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bernard:

At least your Viper is not a garage/queen/track ****** like mine!!!!

Seriously, I can understand that someone will feel more "at ease" driving a Viper with ABS but stats show that the #1 reason for Viper crashes is not the result of non-ABS brakes but rather poor control of the right pedal,so my friend, with the power output of your Viper, yo're a brave man!!!!

Luc
00GTS
91 Roush T/A Mustang