How much of attention getter are Vipers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
S

Saxon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really depends on the crowd. I'm often just as amazed by the people who don't recognize a viper as those who do. While my 14 year old daughter will spot someone wearing coach shoes, it goes right over my head, and the same is true of the viper. If it's a car person, you're going to get noticed, if not, they'll never even look.

I did not know Coach make shoes, and I would like to keep it that way. LOL Than again I have 2 boys so I am safe.

2001-V10 Power Nut

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
1. Major attention getter, I cannot take it anywhere without having people talk to me about it. I even have people pull up to me at stop lites and start asking me about the car.

2. It should improve your driving skills if you can keep from wrecking it the 1st month you have it. It will teach you to have great respect for a "performance" car.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
2 Red GTSs and a Red SRT10 spent a weekend at Jasper, Alberta in June. Everytime we parked our cars we got a show. At reat areas we were usually followed by a few cars that were driving down the highway. Oriental women seems expecially fond of getting their pics taken with the Vipers. We ate in a restaurant and spend 4 hours watching traffic stop so they could take pics of our cars. Guys walking down the other side of the street would cross the street. 3 guys from Switzerland spent 2 hours sitting on the sidewalk behind my 2000 ACR staring at our cars. We had a guy (no english) from Spain chase us for 2 blocks to take pics and not talk to us, lol. For 2 days we were tourist attractions because of our cars. I even had a guy pull into a gas station and offer me $5 if I'd let him wash my ACR. Better buy a Red/silver GTS or ACR. Story is featured in Domestic Driver - A bi-monthly online magazine featuring Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, and GM Cars from 1980+ Jul/Aug issue this year.

96 is sometimes a few thousand bucks more than a slightly newer Viper GTS. Gen 2 are usually compareably priced with ACRs being worth about an extra $5K ($12,000 worth of Koni racing shocks). Different years of Gen 2s come with different features.

The stock Vipers have too much cabin heat and sound terrible. Buy one that has Hiflow cats and improved exhaust. Gen 2 brakes can be made to stop as well as the Gen 3s quite cheaply with lightweight rotors and Tom's rear caliper kit (not needed on ABS 2001 and 2002 ABS cars). A few thousand bucks for each modification or buy one with them already installed. Car tires are only good for 6 years and then they are dangerous because they've oxidized and become hard with little turning and stopping ability. PS2s have only been invented since 2008 so those tires are the best choice. Or ... spend a couple thousand dollars as soon as you buy the car.

Good luck.

Ted

pgbeek

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I use to fly and the only thumbs up I got was from the instructor
leaving me to my solo flight. I now get them from all ages.
Just last week this little old lady on the passengers side gave me the thumbs up she must have been 90 years old.

You'll love stopping at Red lights, my wife gets a little jealous
when other women give me the look. The one that says take me for a
ride?

Turn the music up, get a little Vitamin D (RT/10)
and tune out everything else. Stress relief at its best.

Enjoy the ride!!!!!!!!!!!

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Attention...absoulutely. I've had people follow me...pull u-turns and pull into the gas station just to look at the car. I have tinted windows and I get a kick out of people watching.

Car people love it... and the Corvette guys are green with envy. I still give them the "wave" as I'm a Vette guy at heart.

Phun70

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
My wife and I were on our way out to the Woodhouse BBQ, we stopped at a drive through to get some breakfast sandwiches and I didn't think we would ever be able to leave!!! I swear, every person employed in that mickey D's stuck their cell phone out the drive up window to take pics of the car, they were ****ing taking turns snapping pics!!!!! There were at least 7 or 8 different arms that came out the window with a cell phone clutched in their hands taking pictures. I was laughing my ass off, my wife was trying to crawl under the passenger seat! LOL

supraking85

Enthusiast
Reaction score
rofl, i wasnt going to comment here as i haven thad the pleasure yet, but that last post made me :)

i work in maccies and i see ferraris and all sorts drive through, but if i saw a viper slithering its way round id have my phone in my hand quicker then you can order a bigmac :)

OP
OP
S

Saxon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wife and I were on our way out to the Woodhouse BBQ, we stopped at a drive through to get some breakfast sandwiches and I didn't think we would ever be able to leave!!! I swear, every person employed in that mickey D's stuck their cell phone out the drive up window to take pics of the car, they were ****ing taking turns snapping pics!!!!! There were at least 7 or 8 different arms that came out the window with a cell phone clutched in their hands taking pictures. I was laughing my ass off, my wife was trying to crawl under the passenger seat! LOL

That's what I am talking about. LM Face Off. :D

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I got gas at a gas station, went inside and paid. When I went outside a guy yelled at me, "Would you please get out of my picture?" Hmmm ...

I was waiting in line at a Hotel lobby in Butte. Guy walked in, "Is that your Viper outside?" He said. I replied in the affirmative. He said, "Sorry, I think I freaked out your wife a little. I was feeling up your quarterpanel and suddenly realized that I'd startled your wife." Watch out for the those Pervs, lol

OP
OP
S

Saxon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got gas at a gas station, went inside and paid. When I went outside a guy yelled at me, "Would you please get out of my picture?" Hmmm ...

I was waiting in line at a Hotel lobby in Butte. Guy walked in, "Is that your Viper outside?" He said. I replied in the affirmative. He said, "Sorry, I think I freaked out your wife a little. I was feeling up your quarterpanel and suddenly realized that I'd startled your wife." Watch out for the those Pervs, lol

That is just too funny! You should know better not to walk into a man's photo of YOUR car.

The guy who was feeling the quarterpanel - he would freak my wife and me as well. Good storeis mate! Made me smile. :D

OP
OP
S

Saxon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2 Red GTSs and a Red SRT10 spent a weekend at Jasper, Alberta in June. Everytime we parked our cars we got a show. At reat areas we were usually followed by a few cars that were driving down the highway. Oriental women seems expecially fond of getting their pics taken with the Vipers. We ate in a restaurant and spend 4 hours watching traffic stop so they could take pics of our cars. Guys walking down the other side of the street would cross the street. 3 guys from Switzerland spent 2 hours sitting on the sidewalk behind my 2000 ACR staring at our cars. We had a guy (no english) from Spain chase us for 2 blocks to take pics and not talk to us, lol. For 2 days we were tourist attractions because of our cars. I even had a guy pull into a gas station and offer me $5 if I'd let him wash my ACR. Better buy a Red/silver GTS or ACR. Story is featured in Domestic Driver - A bi-monthly online magazine featuring Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, and GM Cars from 1980+ Jul/Aug issue this year.

96 is sometimes a few thousand bucks more than a slightly newer Viper GTS. Gen 2 are usually compareably priced with ACRs being worth about an extra $5K ($12,000 worth of Koni racing shocks). Different years of Gen 2s come with different features.

The stock Vipers have too much cabin heat and sound terrible. Buy one that has Hiflow cats and improved exhaust. Gen 2 brakes can be made to stop as well as the Gen 3s quite cheaply with lightweight rotors and Tom's rear caliper kit (not needed on ABS 2001 and 2002 ABS cars). A few thousand bucks for each modification or buy one with them already installed. Car tires are only good for 6 years and then they are dangerous because they've oxidized and become hard with little turning and stopping ability. PS2s have only been invented since 2008 so those tires are the best choice. Or ... spend a couple thousand dollars as soon as you buy the car.

Good luck.

Ted

Thank you for a very informative post. I am sure getting a garage queen and improving her step by step is fun, the less expensive travelled route would be to get a vehicle with the basic mods for pennies on the dollar and tweak the rest as time passes enjoying the car in the process. Time and opportunity will tell which one of the two will be my destiny. :)

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
.........It must be where you live, because no one really cares about these cars out here (except young boys and car dudes). Definitely not a chick magnet. I would think it would be worse in NYC especially with a Gen I (sorry).

Please don't take offense because I love all Generation Vipers, I'm just saying I think your expectations for the car may be overinflated.

:dunno:

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Saxon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
.........It must be where you live, because no one really cares about these cars out here (except young boys and car dudes). Definitely not a chick magnet. I would think it would be worse in NYC especially with a Gen I (sorry).

Please don't take offense because I love all Generation Vipers, I'm just saying I think your expectations for the car may be overinflated.

:dunno:

Perhaps in S. California it is different, and maybe I am mistaken in my assumption that it would draw attention in NY. I guess, there is only one way to find out. As for the difference between Gen I and II, to an untrained eye they are not super visible, I remember I had a hard time telling them apart. :)

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perhaps in S. California it is different, and maybe I am mistaken in my assumption that it would draw attention in NY. I guess, there is only one way to find out. As for the difference between Gen I and II, to an untrained eye they are not super visible, I remember I had a hard time telling them apart. :)

Your probably right, SoCal has a very skewed meter I suppose in this department. Either way, as you said, you've got to take the plunge to find out. Good luck with your purchase.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thank you for a very informative post. I am sure getting a garage queen and improving her step by step is fun, the less expensive travelled route would be to get a vehicle with the basic mods for pennies on the dollar and tweak the rest as time passes enjoying the car in the process. Time and opportunity will tell which one of the two will be my destiny. :)

You're welcome. You're right.

I'm into doing eveything myself and yet ... I bought 3 modified Vipers. Paid and extra $5,000 for my first one, supercharged, tuned, cats and exhaust, brakes, Gen 3 wheels and speaker upgrade.

Second cost me $10K extra for $50K worth of mods. It came with a Ross forged piston engine, rockers, sc, exhaust, headers, brakes, mags, axles, etc. and then I spend another $15K upgrading to 14" brakes, stereo, TPMS, Bluetooth, Titanium axles, spoilers, etc.

Third is the ACR for sale. $40K worth of mods and I'm asking $5-7K more than stocker value.

It is sooooo easy to spend money on a Viper. My sapphire GTS is nearly perfect. I'm going to upgrade to the 2.8L blower and probably finish the Nitrous install (just in case). I had thought of upgrading to sean roe's new TT. $13K and use a switch to run up the hp, but I like my torque and although I drive 14,000 miles a year, it is very seldom I get to step on the throttle. And I certainly can't sell a faster car (ACR) than the one I'm keeping (ACR is about 70rwhp higher than my GTS ...

Ted

OP
OP
S

Saxon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Purchasing a modified one (done right) is the best way to get the mods at a steep discount. On the other hand a nice stock unmolested Viper provides for a nice project. It is almost like building your own car. Too bad it requires Jay Leno's pocket to pull it off.

BTW I like the idea of driving 14K miles a year.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Stock and unmolested means that you need to register your CC wtih JonB and Sean Roe.

Although you get attention with a stock Viper. You may find that Viper guys "in the know" get depressed with the stock Gov required, plug ups really fast Catilytic Converters and the UPS truck exhaust. JonB can set you up with a nice sounding exhaust for $3K. The Gen 1 wheels are 17" and not good for performance, although they look cool. The stock wheels aren't really great looking and again, not impressive to Viper owners and/or Lambo owners.

If all you're looking for is to impress the "what kinda car is that" then you need a loud exhaust, fancy wheels and good stereo with DVD.

If you want to impress the Ferrari, Lambo and Viper owner crowds then you'll need forced induction, Unitrax axles, upgraded brakes, etc. The new Viper is one of the world's best, but a sc'd Gen 2 Viper starts out being faster. With brake upgrades the Gen 2 can keep up or be in front on the track. Stock Gen 1, 2 and 3s are easily surpassed by most newer supercars. Hard to impress with a car that the other guys know they can easily outperform.

Stock Gen 1, 2 and 3 are high 11 and low 12 sec drag cars. Gen 4s go low 11s. Modified older Vipers easily go 10s on street tires and 9s on slicks. 10 sec ETs on street tires IS impressive. 12s is not.

A drive you car to the race track, change tires and go 9 sec with a 19mpg streetcar is stupendous and Best In the World. Nothing compares.

Ted

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I realized something funny today when I got to the tire place a little early with my GTS and I was waiting for them to open. The way people Gawk at the car it's almost awkward when people don't say anything. But by the time they opened the doors everybody wound up commenting anyway.

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Initially I got a lot of attention, but a few months later either I got used to the attention or the people got used to the car, no one looks anymore really...I m pretty sure it's just me though...

Golfer15

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only had the car for 3 days now, but I knew what to expect from this forum, the kids had no idea. They think it's great, especially when the cameras come out !!

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im going to take my car out right now for breakfast and a good shot of attention. i cant wait.

spikeone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sometimes I pass incognito and sometimes I get people turning around

latest "wow" moment was 4 older people (40+.. hey im 26 so it's older then me anyway) come into a parking.. 2 guys taking pics will cellphone

they come out.. go around taking lots of pictures.. posing near car

ya.. wish it was hot woman doing this instead of old dudes but whatever ;p

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's why some guys are saying we're being trolled. Because if your motivation to buy ANY car is the attention it gets then you are a shallow Hal. Plus, it's pretty well known that the Viper grabs a lot of attention. So some are thinking your a Vette guy come here to laugh at us telling you how great the car is. Pretty plausable theory really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang