How often should Tranny fluid be changed on semi-monthly track car.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How often should I change the tranny fluid on a lightly tracked RT/10? I change the brake fluid every 3 mo and oil every 2k starting this year (because of tracking), but I've got about 15k miles on my tranny fluid from 2007 and I put ATF in at the time. This is the first year I tracked it (three times so far) and I have one more track day coming up. When should I change it and should I still use ATF or is there something better or certain ATF with better wear properties for light track use?

Thanks.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you run more than 30 minute sessions that ATF can get too hot. It does shift better with the thinner fluid though. Take a fluid sample, if the ATF is turning brown then it needs to be changed. With three track events I would change it out. The later cars used Syntorque, it is a thicker fluid that was used to address neutral gear rattle on the 1996-97 models and stayed with the later models. This lubricant can handle the heat much better than the ATF, but shifting is not as smooth, more so in cold weather. In 08, they changed to the ATF plus 4. This might be a good fluid to change to, I am waiting for Tremec to confirm that.

OP
OP
K

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you run more than 30 minute sessions that ATF can get too hot. It does shift better with the thinner fluid though. Take a fluid sample, if the ATF is turning brown then it needs to be changed. With three track events I would change it out. The later cars used Syntorque, it is a thicker fluid that was used to address neutral gear rattle on the 1996-97 models and stayed with the later models. This lubricant can handle the heat much better than the ATF, but shifting is not as smooth, more so in cold weather. In 08, they changed to the ATF plus 4. This might be a good fluid to change to, I am waiting for Tremec to confirm that.

Thanks, let me know what you find out. I'm not having any problems, but will probably change the fluid after my final track day.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
.....If you're tracking hard, change everything more often. I change oil every other track day (regardless of mileage) and the trans/rear diff fluids about every 6-8 track days. Coolant once a year. Clutch fluid every track day. Brake fluid twice per season. Steering fluid every 6-8 track days. Averaging 16 track days a year................

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets