How to drive a SRT with a PAXTON?

DOLRBIL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just had a Paxton installed, 700 rwh on a 05' SRT 10 (Mamba).
I never had so much fun in my life thanks to you guys.
I have never driven a vehicle with a super-charger. How should
my driving style change? As far as down shifting? Up shifting at
redline? If your at 140 mph and you need to slow down, do you
just use brakes and shift into neutral. Any tips/advice would be
greatly appreciated. :confused:

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On braking, you would always leave the clutch out to let the gears help slow the car down, unless your down shifting at which point you should heal and toe to match the gears with the rpms. Not necessary for street use but great practice for the track.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best performance is to balance traction with max HP.
The higher in the RPM's you go the higher the boost/HP. If your tires start to spin, either back off throttle smoothly, or shift up.
In higher gears the traction is less of an issue, so the higher the revs, the faster the acceleration.

Yes, that feeling of authority you get with a Paxton is thrilling.
Welcome to the club.

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I find keeping high boost as you slide into the next gear gives the best results. In other words as the RPMS decrease during the shift maintain some rpms by "rolling the gas pedal through the next gear".

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fun part is great but be very careful. If you lose traction and the rear end starts moving out to the right, even a little, back off immediately. If you do not, you may go into an uncontollable, fast,ass around,flat spin that will, if you and/or your car survive it, give you a sleepless night ot two. Quite a few on this board have experienced this phenomenon - particularly with the run crap tires in colder weather. Take the car to a track somewhere with a lot of lateral room and experiment. You could also use an airstrip or a large parking lot if you have one near you and the owner consents. Good luck and stay safe.

Bob

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Drive it normally, but with a bit more caution. Be smooth in everything you do, shifting, accelerating, braking, turning, making adjustments of any kind, etc. The additional power will amplify any of your driving mistakes.

I hate to sound like Fred (Kinder?), but go to a driving school as soon as possible. The 3 day school is the best value. Your comment on coasting at 140 mph is a bit scary.

I just returned from the Woodhouse Dodge group trip to American Racing Academy's three day school in Las Vegas. One of the guys at that session just bought his first Viper and is immediately having it supercharged. He came away with a bunch of knowledge the could and likely will save his life some day. You could too.

Good luck,

Dan

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Whoa watch those neutral shots at 140mph. I think Viper X's sentiments are on target. Good luck and enjoy your new found power - safely.

RS27J9A

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On braking, you would always leave the clutch out to let the gears help slow the car down, unless your down shifting at which point you should heal and toe to match the gears with the rpms. Not necessary for street use but great practice for the track.

Which is cheaper a tranny/clutch or rotors and pads? You shouldn't slow any car down with the transmission.

No driving school instructor will tell you to slow a car down with the transmission.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If your at 140 mph and you need to slow down, do you
just use brakes and shift into neutral. Any tips/advice would be
greatly appreciated. :confused:

I roll down the windows and stick my hands out to slow me.

WILDASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Viper X and Snake Eye are pretty much on target here-with increased power, think smooth and smoother with all your inputs-braking,throttle,steering and shifting.The more power you have,the bigger the little mistakes become,and the progression is not linear-a 20% increase in horsepower shrinks your margin for error by more than 20% (in some cases,a lot more).The cost of a good driving school will be the best money you will ever spend,both in terms of safety and getting the best out of any car you drive.Massive power makes too many guys let their ego write checks their skills can't cash-don't be one of them!

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Which is cheaper a tranny/clutch or rotors and pads? You shouldn't slow any car down with the transmission.

No driving school instructor will tell you to slow a car down with the transmission.
that's right you should NOT slow down your car with the trans if you have a supercharger.Your trying to slow the blower down to fast and thats how you can hurt parts like bearings, belts an other stuff. I drive mine hard but don't boost if your not pointing straight :buttkick:

Max

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless you have practiced a lot of heel/toe downshifting (driving school) don't try downshifting at speed.
A supercharged Viper can get up to 100MPH+ before you know it, and downshifting at higher speeds without heel/toe work can easily unsettle the rear end and cause the car to lose control. :eek:

viper spray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forget neutral, what you need to do is slide it into reverse at 140 and quickly let the clutch out. Let us know your results.................. :buttkick:

OP
OP
D

DOLRBIL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
apparently you have a GTS w/no super charger, so this post would not
even pertain to you. But thanks for your helpful comments.

OP
OP
D

DOLRBIL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks alot for all of your positive feedback, I will definitly
look into a local driving school.

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Come on, cut the guy some slack.
They are pulling your chains DOLRBIL.

Ask how many of them hold a real racing license... :rolleyes: What are their lap times around a common known track? :rolleyes:

Here are the Main Rules you need to stick with
* Seat time and more seat time. The more you drive it, the better you will get at it.
* Hard acceleration and braking on only straights. NOT going into corners.
* Smooth throttle, brake, clutch and steering inputs. Avoid sudden inputs.
* Skip Barber Driving school
* No playing on rainy days.

And you can throw into R at 140 mph. It’s called Rocketing. You’ll find yourself on a land rocket if you manage to break the synchros and actually throw into rear at that speed. LOL :D :D

Enjoy your Viper.

Midwest Muscle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dolrbil, you are right. The blown and nitroused LS1, or either of the blown big block Camaros I've owned surely didn't prepared me to answer a very complex "how do you drive a blown Viper" post.

I'll try to be more selective with my sarcasm placement next time ... There and I thought people were taking it easy on you. Live and learn.

Come on, have a little fun. Don't take it all so seriously!

Mike M

OP
OP
D

DOLRBIL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am having fun, but when you tell someone you are having visions of them dead around a telephone pole is not exactly the answer I was looking for.
Live & Learn!

Midwest Muscle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bill, don't add words to what was meant in jest. Saying you had visions of someone dead around a telephone pole would be out of line. That's why I didn't SAY that. Have another read of the post.

The first time I put nitrous on a car, back in 1983, my dad told me that he could see the car wrapped around a pole. I never for a moment thought he was saying he could see me dead in the car.

Turns out he was right - It only took 12 days!

Mike M

OP
OP
D

DOLRBIL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If a BLOWN VIPER is wrapped around a tree or telephone pole,
Do you think the driver would SURVIVE?

Midwest Muscle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, if the driver can manage to hit the passenger side :)

Besides, a blown Viper hitting an object at speed 'x' is no different than a normally aspirated Viper hitting the same object at the same speed of 'x'.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte