How to get the exhaust surround GLOSS black?

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My exhaust surround looks very dull compare to some of you guys. How can i get it GLOSS black again? Mine looks super faded. I want mine to match the lip of my rims. Is there some sort of "back to black" stuff I can use?
You must be registered for see images attach

latamud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My black plastic exhaust surround looks like yours. I don't think they were gloss black. It's more of a satin black.

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My black plastic exhaust surround looks like yours. I don't think they were gloss black. It's more of a satin black.

I've def seen them gloss and when I asked if it was painted the owner said no just polished it with some product I don't remember the name off.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A decent compound and wax will do it. By the way it isn't plastic. The side sills are actually aluminum. I striped the paint off of mine andd polished it to a shine.

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go to any body shop supply company, they have a product called "Trim black", it is a perfect match for the right from the factory color

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

A cheap way to do it without spray painting it would be to wrap in vinyl. If you can wrap a car and not have the heat mess it up you should be able to wrap that small piece as well. At least i wouldn't see there being any issues with it.

Scottsviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Use Adams polish products. They have VRT dressing that will make it look like new.
My exhaust surround looks very dull compare to some of you guys. How can i get it GLOSS black again? Mine looks super faded. I want mine to match the lip of my rims. Is there some sort of "back to black" stuff I can use?

10 BANGER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A decent compound and wax will do it. By the way it isn't plastic. The side sills are actually aluminum. I striped the paint off of mine and polished it to a shine.

I would love to see a picture of this.
Thanks

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
The satin aluminum look is kind of cool looking on a black car. Goes with the interior trim accents.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just painted one side of mine (exhaust moved and burnt the paint off). I used Semi Gloss Engine enamel (good to 500 degrees, I hope that's enough). Looks good but alas I have not taken any pics.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I just repainted one sill of my mom's 94. I used the same engine enamel. It seems to hold up okay aside from the fact that we didn't let it cure long enough before the first drive. Had a couple of small little bubbles form from the heat of a slightly mis-directed pipe. Just went on a long cruise this weekend and it seemed to hold up fine, even without adjusting the pipe any more.

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just painted one side of mine (exhaust moved and burnt the paint off). I used Semi Gloss Engine enamel (good to 500 degrees, I hope that's enough). Looks good but alas I have not taken any pics.

I was thinking about doing the same thing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960