how to pop rivets?

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hate to sound like a noob on this, but how do you pop the rivets on the body panels? I just had my rear quarter panel's fiberglass fixed after a small hit and run. The body shop did a great job restoring the panel, but their inexperience with the Viper shows... the panel isn't on completely straight. It's my OCD calling here, and I didn't want to leave my car with them over the weekend, so I figured I can do it myself.

I have the service manual, but not familiar with undoing the rivets. Do I need special tools or anything?

tia

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok... but how do I then put em back on? And what size drill bit?

You can't put them back on you need to buy new ones at a local hardware store, which are popped in place with a special popping tool. The size of the drill bit should be slightly smaller than the hole in which the rivet sits so that you don't ***** out the hole itself. Converting my car to power window mechanisms instead of the manually operated ones gave me quite the bunch of experience with this :smirk:

TSR6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't say for sure what size the Viper rivets are, but I would guess that they would be 3/16. Most automotive rivets are either 1/8 or 3/16.

The best way to take out the rivet it to use the appropriate size drill bit, but carefully drilling to just break the head ( the visible flat ) part of the rivet off, then using a punch to push the remaining mushroomed backside of the rivet out of the hole.

On my short track late model race car, we just put the drill bit in and let it fly until the bit pushes all the way through. This works, but you risk enlarging the hole. On a Viper where such things matter, I would be a lot more careful.

If you shop around, you can buy colored rivets, or just go with the standard natural or unfinished rivets.

OP
OP
W

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't say for sure what size the Viper rivets are, but I would guess that they would be 3/16. Most automotive rivets are either 1/8 or 3/16.

The best way to take out the rivet it to use the appropriate size drill bit, but carefully drilling to just break the head ( the visible flat ) part of the rivet off, then using a punch to push the remaining mushroomed backside of the rivet out of the hole.

On my short track late model race car, we just put the drill bit in and let it fly until the bit pushes all the way through. This works, but you risk enlarging the hole. On a Viper where such things matter, I would be a lot more careful.

If you shop around, you can buy colored rivets, or just go with the standard natural or unfinished rivets.
Thanks for the tips, but tell me... do the colored rivets add more HP? :lmao:

TSR6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips, but tell me... do the colored rivets add more HP? :lmao:

No, It just helps with the modial interaction of magneto reluctance and capacitive deractance. :2tu:

It's all about the turbo encabulator.:headbang:

....but no, seriously, you won't see the HP gains until you put a coat of Zaino on the colored rivets.

Paul S Lacey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tator says they don't have a part number jon B told be they are Ford explore bumper rivets but that is also wrong.

They are not standard rivets they are high grip rivets for fibre glass unlike normal rivets they split int four legs which expand to grip the glass body.

Stock rivets just mush up at the back, if anyone can find a stockist could they either let me have a couple or so they are impossible to get in the UK.

Last edited:

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
To play it safe, go small on the drill bit for the first rivet and work your way up until it comes out, then you'll have the right size bit for the rest.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950