How will SRT's hold their value?

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: How will SRT\'s hold their value?

Pure speculation, BUT...

I personally think there won't be all that much demand for '04s. I don't know that ordering will sell out as quick as some think. You can buy SRTs for MSRP now, so I don't think opening ordering will do anything good for the 03's.

If i had to guess... I'd say a used 03 would go for maybe $73-75k around wintertime. Just a guess!

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

From the many that are on the market (at high prices) it looks like if the 04 is not a sell out then the 03 will take a hard hit just like any other new car. If I was one of these guys holding out to make $$$, I would be getting nervous. Like my dealer told me... "why buy a 03 now when you can get a o4 at invoice" If 04's are at invoice then a brand new 03 will be 3k or more less then invoice and the used ones may take more of a hit. All IMHO of course. If I was selling instead of buying.....the view may be different ????

OP
OP
D
Reaction score

I was thinking about adding a SRT to my collection. I thought the SRT would depreciate alot like all cars do.
So my best bet would be to wait and pick up a used one which I thought would likely fall to the mid to upper $60K range (because 04 will surely be selling for invoice). Most high dollar automobiles fall 15% or more the first year. Look what happened to the 01 and 02.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dakota keep hoping. If it follows the Gen I/II history the price drop will be nowhere near that dramatic. A $20K loss in 1 year! Ouch! At 1 year old I would expect to get $75'ish. Remember that next model year will probably have an increase. They have every year up to now.

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score

'01s and '02s dealt with an economy drop, that's why they were going so much and for so cheap. Doesn't necessarily correspond to SRTs.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Late model Gen 1 and 2 also took a big hit due to the fact so many of them hit the market as the srt arrived via the cert. program. It goes without saying that with the cert. program in effect a huge percentage of prior owners have alreasdy traded for the srt so that stage is over. It's always gonna be about supply and demand and DC created a huge demand by locking up the cert. program in favor of the current Viper owner to the exclusion of the rest of the world. It's pretty clear that a lot of the high prices are "trolling" by cert holders. when it does not go high it goes off the market. If demand was really that high 2004 would be sold out and all the ebay 2003's would be going like hotcakes, they ain't, not at inflated prices.

FUSCUCLA1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My local dealer has a silver 03 and its 12k over sticker. Asking price is 95k. Original owners name is still on the window sticker.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Who is selling 04's at invoice? Most dealers will be pricing them over sticker. Been no new Vipers available from dealerships for over a year. Just some left overs of the old body style.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Who is selling 04's at invoice? Most dealers will be pricing them over sticker. Been no new Vipers available from dealerships for over a year. Just some left overs of the old body style.

I would say many will be at or very close to invoice. There were MANY that bought 03's at invice or $100 over invoice........at least here in Ga. and Al. that was the going price. If you paid more than that you should have shopped more .... or be greatful you are dealing with your very trusted dealer which is also worth something.

grateful !! :)

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I just sold a friend's SRT-10 for high 80s. It will be interesting indeed to see what the '03 prices are by the end of the year.

2003TorchRedZ06

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Where can I get an '03 for invoice(or very near)? I am in Memphis so georgia is nto to far from me.

Also, when will the '04s be available. I would much rather have an '04, than an '03(one reason is the slight possibility of yellow, plus second year is always beter than first year, with it being tweaked more,etc.).

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Try
Chuck Tator at Tator Dodge
Bill Pemberton at Woodhouse Dodge
John Gastman at Roanoke Dodge
Do searches here you will find all these gentlemen are highly regarded and are supporters of this site and the VCA and they sell at very reasonable prices. I have never heard of any of them gouging anyone over invoice. They are also large Viper dealers and thereby have a steady flow of cars, some of which are being refused by certificate holders for economic or other reasons. Woodhouse is in Blair, Nebraska, Tator is near New York area, and Roanoke is near Chicago. Do not worry about distance, just call 'em and see what they've got or are getting in, most of us buy from these guys and they ship the car very reasonably to wherever you live in enclosed trailers, the deals you will get from these guys will more than make uo the $1000 or so for shipping, or you can fly there and drive home.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You WILL NOT get an SRT at invoice. You may get it at STICKER, but NOT INVOICE.

Certificate holders were originally able to work out sweet deals, as they had all the power in getting cars, but if a car is at a dealer for retail sale, don't think you'll be getting the car at invoice.

Invoice = dealer cost (minus holdback, etc)
Sticker = the number on the Monroney Label

2003TorchRedZ06

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well, most dealers at invoice will make at least the holdback (5%.... invoice minus holdback is triple net which I am sure a dealer will NOT do on a Viper) which on a vehicle like this is a pretty good amount. A little over invoice even is no problem. I just don't wanna lose my ass if I plan on selling the car soon(I know I will lose SOME money).

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Give it a few years and the SRT prices will drop. When the novelty of the new car wears off people that own them will start selling them and buying back their history on wheels(rt/10-GTS).

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ah, thank you Janni, in my post above I did indeed mean MSRP or STICKER, NOT dealer invoice, I typed "I have never heard of them gouging anyone over invoice" I MEANT MSRP OR STICKER...Jeez, I'm lucky I found and fixed this before one of these guys inquired of me why they should work for no profit! Sorry! I still stand by my statement that anyone of these guys will give you a good, fair deal. And Janni in another post brings up Tom Sessions in North Carolina, a very well respected Viper Tech also selling now as another source.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Russ M, that is doubtful. Certainly not on a mass scale. The majority of SRT owners have owned RT/10 and GTS before, and in many cases still do. Speaking as one of them I can say I don't see a mass exodus. Too damm much fun to drive. Still like the RT/10 as well. As much for its classic design as the character of the Gen I (yes, you read that right -Character of the Gen I). Gen II's had too much frill and less panache. So for this household it is Gen I and Gen III. No space or budget for a Gen II or one would have been added as well.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score

We shall see right? Give it a few years.

At which time did I say the words "hate SRT" wasnt me. Its a great car, performs with the best of them, and looks as unique as its competitors. Now what is wrong with that?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang