Hydraulics recall/Squidgy clutch

Japson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My friends at Racing Solutions Inc inform me that they have heard of a hydraulics recall on the '04 SRT-10 - any of you heard of such a thing as I can't find any reference to it anywhere.

RSI fitted an uprated clutch to cope with the RSI 750 conversion I had done to the car and the clutch goes soft and squidgy after brief but hard acceleration. The travel drops 50%+ after a 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear run to the redline. Any ideas out there?

SilverSnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I brought my car back to the stealer today for this problem.
My clutch's fiction point changed overnight so i checked the master cylinder reservor and it was overfilled alot. So i drain it to the proper level and the fiction point was still at the fire wall. Took it in and the stealer said that there was a recall for the entire hydraulic system on certain 04 cars. My car was built in 12/03. They orderd the new system should be here in two days.

Robert

Daniel Cragin/DC Performance Inc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Check your clutch line where it comes close to the exhaust, it could be overheating and boiling the clutch fluid. We wrap the line and bleed it with high tempreure fluid. Some (very few) hydraulic master cylinders have been known to be suspect, your dealer should be able to verify by your VIN number.

Hope this helps.

SilverSnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Dan for the info. I went ahead to and had the stealer wrap the line and put in some dot 4 fliud in and flush the entire system today. Nothing has changed so they are going to replace the entire hydraulics system tomorrow hope it works :eek:

Robert

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What brand and style of clutch did you put in the car, and exactly what do you mean by 50% loss after first.

Doe's the pedal seem to drop very easy when under hard accell. as you start in on it shift to second?

Skip White

SilverSnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Update,

Well since my last post i wanted to let everybody know what the out come was. The pressure plate bolts had backout to the point of three of them were missing. Since i had my chance i opt to replace the oem clutch assembly With a complete RPS light weight flywheel, clutch, pressure plate.
The dealer in return gave me a brand new oem assembly. I get it back tomorrow and i will let everybody know how the RPS system works.

Robert

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Robert, your gonna love the RPS setup. I've been through about eight setups over the years on my cars, and the RPS is the best. There will be some heavy chatter for a few hundred miles. After that you will have to engage a bit quicker or a light chatter will result. I have went 3lbs more on the pp torque settings, and 5lbs more on the flywheel. Those specs are the lowest I've ever heard on a flywheel. I think it's around 55lbs or so, and around 20 I think on the pp. That just seems to little on such a heavy clutch. You are one of many guys that have had this happen.

When are ya going to have the headers you bought installed?

Skip White

SilverSnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Skip,

Thanks for the advise about the rps system can't wait to test it. I did go past the factory torque spec's on all the fasteners plus used loctite everywere.
The headers are getting installed on monday can't wait for that. I think the next mod will be gears 3:55 most likely. Give me a call when you get back from your R&D suspension trip. After the gears i would like to do some suspension upgrades so i am waiting to hear what you found to be the best for the money. :usa:

thanks,

Robert

womsterr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The SRT 10 Rams have been having NUMEROUS clutch problems as well. They can't seem to keep the clutches in them with the heavier vehicle. They have found some luck swapping the stock slave cylinder with a metal GTS slave.

There seems to be a bunch of folks with problems with the bolts backing out on the pressure plates. It seems that they may have had a big bunch incorrectly torqued at the factory.

SilverSnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Got the car back this afternoon. A HUGE improvment over the stock clutch. The pedal feel is a little stiffer than the stock system and boy does it grab compaired to the feel of the stock clutch. The motor does rev noticely better with the lighter flywheel. The dealer who did the install asked me for the RPS info for future viper owners that want a great upgrade for there car.
My car was built in 12/03 and the tech did tell me this was the eighth viper he has seen with missing pressure plate bolts.

Robert

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Robert, your really going to notice the difference when you hit second under load. The car will lunge forward nicely. I do not recommend speed shifting with the RPS as it really takes hold when shifting. The oem would slip enough to allow for a harder shift, but what good is that if the clutch is slipping.

As for the Ram SRT's having clutch problems, I can see that, since the oem clutch is not strong enough for the SRT, how would it be ok in a 5100lb truck.

Skip White

OP
OP
J

Japson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

As the orginator of this post I apolgise for being away for a while I have been moving back to the UK you see.

Thanks for all the posts, my heavily modified (Racing Solutions) car is now back in the UK and will be going into a local garage (don't panic, they handle classic Ferraris and Astons) will be looking at the car. Problem now is that I doubt that whatever they find Chrysler/Dodge are going to help me out given that I have taken the car out of the Country. Bottom line is that on my car the more you accelerate, the lower you have to depress the clutch in order to get disengagement so that you can engage the next gear - does this sound like the pressure plate bolt thing mentioned here - or the hydraulics needing an entire replacement?

When I get this car to Brands Hatch in the early Spring I just no the clutch is going to give up.

Cheers,

Wayne