I could not control myself: Raced a Lamborghini Murcielago!!!

Built 2 Go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First off...I should not of gotten into this race situation but I just could not back off this temptation. I just could not help or control myself this time around. My stupidity.

Yesterday, on Pacific Coast Highway in S.Calif, I was going around 45-50 mph and noticed a new Yellow Lamborghini Murcielago in my rear view mirror. He flew by me with an exhaust system that was deafening. He then backed off & applied the brakes for a second or two and waited for me to catch up (within a few seconds). He and his girlfriend both looked over to me and smiled and then he hit full throttle. Oh well, I hit the trottle too.

At 140 mph he was at least 5-6 cars behind me. I always continued to pull away from the Lamborghini from the second we each hit the trottle, what a feeling!! At 140, I backed off and started to slow down. He then flew by me and hit his brakes. He waited for me to catch up. As I pulled along side of this beautiful yellow machine, he and his girlfriend just shook their heads back and forth in what appeared dis-belief. I just smiled and he then took off ahead.

Wow...what a feeling for those few seconds. Yes, I should have controled myself but just couldn't when he waited for me after his first fly bye. Note: there was no traffic in front of our vechiles when I was challenged.

Built 2 Go
93 Viper R/T (Still running Strong after 12 years)
Paxton Supercharger (2 months new)
551 RWHP 566 Torque

vipeuup

Viper Owner
Reaction score
not stupid. I would of done the same. Besides it was the guy in the Lambo that wanted to race. Nice win. Our vipers are just too damn fast. ;)

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hmmm,

"Congrats. You were a better driver than the Murci. On a roll the Murci should hand it to you, even with your mods."

Never had any problems with the Murci's even before the Paxton. Maybe the Murci owners are all bad drivers .....

OP
OP
B

Built 2 Go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck & Viper X,

You both may be correct, but my I'm not convienced that it was my driving. The V-12 Lamborghini Murcielago is rated by Road & Driver at 580 BeforeWHP and $290,805 list price. The Paxton is pushing out 551 RWHP. My guess...the Viper and not me.

The Lamborghini may be a little lighter. However, with his girlfriend in the Murcielago, we were probably fairly close in weight.

I would love to take credit but I just shifted the Paxton Snake and held on.

OP
OP
B

Built 2 Go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck,

Who knows...maybe he was focused on his girlfriend legs when shifting or his girlfriend yelled...look at that Viper dance.

Built 2 Go

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Nice kill, and he asked for it!

Put another "X" on your Novi housing!

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice run. My friend has an 04 E-Gear Merci and I have ran him too. Not as fast as I thought. I am stock and I keep up without a problem.

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice move. Wish I could have a moment like that...I guess I will have to stick with Porsche's and Ferrari's for now ;)

GARY J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guessing at the #'s here:

Viper 550rwhp 3400lbs
Murci 490whp 3800lbs

Similar drivers, viper will win 10 times out of 10.

Nice kill!!

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice run. My friend has an 04 E-Gear Merci and I have ran him too. Not as fast as I thought. I am stock and I keep up without a problem.

That's awesome. When you say "keep up", do you mean side by side or that you actually ended up ahead of him?

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That's awesome. When you say "keep up", do you mean side by side or that you actually ended up ahead of him?

He had me by about 1 car length.

orlandov10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
F355 Nice kill, at first I figured the Lambo would have smoked you, but then I read your mods.. I'm glad he ran a blown Viper, very nice kill... I'm jealous. The most exotic car I've beaten was a 911TT with my Supra, a long time ago I was at a stoplight next to a Diablo, however I was driving a Supercharged MR2 so it wasn't anything to write home about.

OP
OP
B

Built 2 Go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
orlandov10,

F355 is a stock Viper, "keep up" meant .."he had me by 1 car length".

The 93 Paxton Supercharged Viper had the 2005/2006 Lamborghini by 5 to 6 car lengths from 45mph to 140mph.

Built 2 Go

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What is surprising about this encounter? The Viper has a 80 RWHP edge, and is 300 lbs lighter. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out. Ok....so a s/c Viper can beat a stock Murci. Oh yeah, he had exhaust. Thats about 15HP. My 03 SRT with NOS would eat my Murci's lunch as well. Now, keep running the cars a bit longer, the results change a little. The Murci will keep going to about 207. A stock Murci will run the quarter in the 11.7-11.9 area. Mine ran 11.8. 0-60 is 3.6. Pretty decent numbers. Oh yeah, I'm a Viper guy. Owner since '92. New FE Coupe on the way.

KWIK96

Viper Owner
Reaction score
140 to 200mph I'd bet on the Lambo.
-----------------------------------------------------------I would like to see that on PCH!
Nobody goes to jail, the cops would never catch them....

OP
OP
B

Built 2 Go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck,

Thanks for your reply.

You don't have to worry about me trying to FLY from 140 to 200mph. The early Viper Snakes were never known for their Top Speed due to major aerodynamics concerns. I believe the top safe speed back 12 years ago was only 170-175mph, before the Snake started lifting and becoming unstable.

However, as you know. The Viper was designed to be an Gold Medal Olympic Sprinter!!! That Honor and known fact... still sends Fear into many drivers of Exotic and High Performance cars today. Many have been bitten by the Venom bite of the Snake. I still have the same very Proud ownership feeling today as I had I had 12 years ago when I purchased the 93 Snake. However, the feeling has intensified another Upward step with the installation of the Paxton Supercharger.

The new Supercharger now puts the 12 year old Snake back where it should be in ranking order...with very Potent Venom. "Fear This"...as the saying goes.

I am no longer concerned about a Z06 or Ford GT or other Exotic's of today in my 12 year old Snake, as it should always be.

Viper owners are a very Proud group of individuals who will fly the Dodge banners, have fun and support one another. Hopefully, Dodge will continue in the future to honor us and continue with their quest ... American Olympic Gold Medal Sprinter.

I still feel like a foolish teenager racing this Lambo up to 140mph...stupid, but I felt somewhat insulted with his fly bye & just couldn't control myself, even at the age of 60.

Built 2 Go

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So a stock 380rwhp Gen I Viper can go 170-175 flat out. But a blown Gen I with 551rwhp will have trouble with a Murci to 200?? I know the early Snakes werent aerodynamic but I think the Snake would reach 190 to maybe 200 way before the Lambo would...It would take the Lambo a long time to catch the Snake at its 207mph top speed...mho

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So a stock 380rwhp Gen I Viper can go 170-175 flat out. But a blown Gen I with 551rwhp will have trouble with a Murci to 200?? I know the early Snakes werent aerodynamic but I think the Snake would reach 190 to maybe 200 way before the Lambo would...It would take the Lambo a long time to catch the Snake at its 207mph top speed...mho

I have to agree

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't see how the lambo can pull harder from 140 to 200 with almost 100 WHP less. The Viper's aerodynamics aren't that bad. The the Murci weighs at 3630 Lbs., not exactly light.

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: I could not control myself: Raced a Lamborghini Murcielago!!!

I can't see how the lambo can pull harder from 140 to 200 with almost 100 WHP less. The Viper's aerodynamics aren't that bad. The the Murci weighs at 3630 Lbs., not exactly light.

All depends on the gearing in the Viper. I ran serious top end runs with my cars. My 03 SRT ran 639RWHP. My Murci was modded slightly, and came in at 503. My Viper had the 3.55 gears as well. Under full burn, both cars about 2miles....I drove the Murci. Brother in the Viper. With AWD and a proper launch, my Murci could hit 3.35 to 60. I pulled the Viper about 2 cars to 60. Then it was C-YA for the SRT. My SRT could pull high tens, Murci with slight mods 11.5. I would begin to close on the viper at the mile mark, and reel him in before the Murci hit 195. The speed at the mile mark in the Murci was 174. The aerodynamics of the Murci are extremely strong, and the gearing is very tall. My car would actually hit close to 210. My Viper would run close to 200 before I changed the gears. I don't think the aerodynamics of the Gen 1 are as good as the Gen 3 cars...but just a visual guess there. The players:

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang