I might start a war here but I'm gonna ask anyways...

John_Cassels

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm currently in a Viper-based dilemma and I need some expert advice (hence the post on this forum). I currently own a '97 BW GTS. The car has about 21,000 miles on it, Belanger headers, Borla exhaust, and smooth tubes. I am currently debating trading for/selling then buying an RT, specifically either a '00 Steel Grey or '02 Graphite colored car. I really feel like I'd enjoy the whole top down/targa experience - as it stands, I can't imagine a better afternoon then throwing in a Dokken or a Whitesnake CD, then going for a rip under the sun. I was hoping that current RT owners and other members would chime in with their insights on whether I should stick with the GTS or make the switch to an RT. Is owning an RT that much different than a GTS beyond the obvious? I do not want to start a war between the RT and the GTS owners here but I couldn't of a better group of people to consult. Thanks for reading guys and I look forward to perusing your posts.

Thanks,
Johnny

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
It is a hard decision that is why I have both. I do drive the R/T more then the rest. Love the top down.

JAY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I Like the Look of the GTS, But Love being behind the wheel of a Convertible on a Sunny Day ,or on a Full Moon ! I did have an R/T , Love the look , But now have an SRT and Like the fact that the roof can go up or down in 30 seconds . I find it to be a more visceral feeling . IMO :D
I think Carol Shelby once said " Coupes ...... are for Chickens..................lol ! " Jkng ;)

Able1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Johnny, for what it is worth, I own a 2002 graphite RT/10, I live in Pennsylvania and I too wanted the top down experience, that being said in the two going on three years I have owned the car i have went ******* maybe four times and I have the three piece top along with the stock top. I think If I did it again, I would go with a Gen 4 vert, I just really like the look of the old Gen 2 body style thats why I have the RT/10. The three piece top is easy to use on and off in minutes but it leaks, so for daily driving forget it. The stock top does not leak but is hard to get on and off by yourself and once you do it stays home or where ever you are. So if you use your car I would recommend Gen 3-4.

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is a personal choice...RT looks fantastic with the more classic lines and without the roof, it is really really low (even a little bit lower than a Lambo Aventador)....with the roof, you have coupe looks because it's a targa compared to the Gen3-4 soft tops. Only disadvantage is, as was pointed out, you can't store the hard top in the trunk and it takes two people to comfortable remove it - mind you it only takes a minute, but certainly not like a true convertible. Personally, I love the look of a targa and wish they made the GenV that way again.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depends on the climate you are in. Anything under 67° starts getting a bit chilly for any extended top-off drives. In Tampa I run the top-off for probably a total 11 months but I do need a ballcap and jacket sometimes. Where are you?

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Had a vert for 12 years and miss it. I'll keep my coupe but would love to have a vert next to it. Last year I drove my friend's 08 srT vert and it reminded me how much fun was having a rag top. I prefer the Gen IV vert for looks.

You must be registered for see images

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John, Im a beach person. Like you i enjoy the sun. ...No, i crave the sun :). The boost of serotonin & vitaminD combined with riding in an awesome roadster with the wind and all of mothernature around you is a truly uplifting experience.

There are plenty of RT/10 owners who deny this experience and regularly drive around with their silly toupee top on wich is a detraction from the roadster intention and beautifull lines of the car. I dont think you will have problem finding someone willing to do some sort of a trade for your B/W GTS.

Goodluck in your search!

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're craving the top down experience definitely go the RT/10 route.

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I own an RT/10 since last year. I was actually looking for a GTS but ended up buying the RT/10 because a.) I did not find a proper GTS and b.) it was love a first sight when I saw the RT/10 in person.

I drove it home 5h with the hard top on (soft top in the trunk). When I arrived at home in the evening (was end of May, nice sunny weather) I had a short break, removed the top and went for a first cruise without a roof. That was such a great feeling that I immediately thought that this feeling is impossible to experience in the GTS (or any coupe). I have never regret not having bought a GTS because of that feeling. In the coupe (or with the top on) to me it feels a little tight and almost a bit claustrophobic but without any top it is just such an awesome experience that I never want to miss.

I have to add, that this is my "toy", so I have no need to drive it in bad weather. But I still love the GTS and maybe one day I am able to get one in addition to my RT/10 ;)

Holger

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are a few pics of mine with the top on and off...hope this helps in your decision :drive: The RT10 sure has it's own unique character.

You must be registered for see images attach

Zee

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Get an RT if you don't daily drive your viper...u won't regret it. The feeling of driving with the top off at 100 mph is unmatched by anything else. If you do daily drive it, then stick with the GTS. Cheers!

Viper #53

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've owned my RT/10 for 19 years and only used the top twice. I love driving the RT/10 on sunny days, but use my 1996 GTS when travelling overnight or have my wife with me. Luckily I have both, but would chose to keep the GTS if I was forced to sell one.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had a RT since 05' and lived in GA and FL (both top off weather almost year round). I also have plenty of driver seat time in a GTS. I prefer the RT/10. I'd like to add a GTS, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet because I'm not sure I'd enjoy it as much as my RT. The GTS seems a little "claustrophobic" (for lack of a better word) to me. The RT/10 tops are horrible--function and looks wise, so if you don't live in a convertible friendly climate, I'd say stay GTS. Otherwise, I say give it a shot. I just got back from the beach (bike week and spring break down here). Cruising the strip with the top off and radio up on a perfect FL day is pure paradise.

7Sins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with those who prefer the genIV vert over an rt, the previous generation just looks so much better in a coupe. Not my car but this looks good:
You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
J

John_Cassels

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks so much for chiming in guys, I really appreciate it. A lot of good points being thrown around - to provide some more info, I live in southeast Canada (Southern Ontario), I never drive the Viper in inclement weather, and it is not my daily driver. Also, though the gen III/IV is a beauty, I'm married to the look of the gen II. One question, are the soft tops on the RT a nightmare? Again, the more input the better, so please keep 'em coming.

Nickel

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Just picked up this 94 with 4K miles. Car has no top and don't ever plan on using a top. Go with the vert if you have good weather. Would like to have a top just for emergency though. Thinking about simply buying the original ugly top... Is this original top purchase wise if your only using it for rain?

hemihead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
John, the soft top is not a nightmare, once you've dealt with it several times it's no big deal. Don't get me wrong there is more to do than on gen III and IV verts but you don't have to struggle with it. I live in SE Michigan and have a Graphite '02. It is rare that I have either of the tops on, usually just early or late in the season. I don't drived the car in bad weather because frankly they are a PITA to clean due to all the nooks and crannys. You can take the top off and run the heat on cools days, it works great. I've also been known to run the AC with the top off in the summer, mainly at stop lights.

Zee

Viper Owner
Reaction score
John, the soft top is not a nightmare, once you've dealt with it several times it's no big deal. Don't get me wrong there is more to do than on gen III and IV verts but you don't have to struggle with it. I live in SE Michigan and have a Graphite '02. It is rare that I have either of the tops on, usually just early or late in the season. I don't drived the car in bad weather because frankly they are a PITA to clean due to all the nooks and crannys. You can take the top off and run the heat on cools days, it works great. I've also been known to run the AC with the top off in the summer, mainly at stop lights.

Thinking about getting a soft top for mine soon. How hard is it to put on? Can 1 person do it? I saw a video on YouTube and it looks pretty easy. I have a 97

bigmack339

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is obviously a joke- c'mon, Dokken, seriously dude?

Hey guys,

I'm currently in a Viper-based dilemma and I need some expert advice (hence the post on this forum). I currently own a '97 BW GTS. The car has about 21,000 miles on it, Belanger headers, Borla exhaust, and smooth tubes. I am currently debating trading for/selling then buying an RT, specifically either a '00 Steel Grey or '02 Graphite colored car. I really feel like I'd enjoy the whole top down/targa experience - as it stands, I can't imagine a better afternoon then throwing in a Dokken or a Whitesnake CD, then going for a rip under the sun. I was hoping that current RT owners and other members would chime in with their insights on whether I should stick with the GTS or make the switch to an RT. Is owning an RT that much different than a GTS beyond the obvious? I do not want to start a war between the RT and the GTS owners here but I couldn't of a better group of people to consult. Thanks for reading guys and I look forward to perusing your posts.

Thanks,
Johnny

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you should stick with a GTS. When cranking Dokken or Whitesnake in an RT10 your mullet and Members Only jacket will blow around and hinder line of sight causing a wreck. Also you will have to install a cassette player!

hemihead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thinking about getting a soft top for mine soon. How hard is it to put on? Can 1 person do it? I saw a video on YouTube and it looks pretty easy. I have a 97
\

Zee, it's easy to put on and one person can do it - carefully. I put some towels on the car at the top of the windshield and sports bar where the catches are in order to protect the paint. You slowly set the top on "about" where it goes, walk around to the four latch points, pull out the towel, line up the latch press it down it down and move on to the next point.

It's rare that I put the top on the car, mainly just for road trips, my soft top is usually left assembled in the garage or basement. I've seen the You Tube video where the guy does it in a minute or something like that. I suppose if I did it more I could get it done quicker but when it is folded up I would say it's a three to four minute project to assemble the top and put it on the car.

IMHO both the hard top and soft top look like crap on the car with the hard top looking slightly better and the soft top easier to deal with.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62