I think I made a mistake.

Mad Max

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nice car mad max !

if you dont like the viper any more, sell, thats what i did. Its no big deal, try and limit your loss and enjoy the next car

Thanks PlumCrazy. And I agree with what you had to say. Life is too short to not have what you truly enjoy,no matter what it is.

TonyCool

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That's too bad, hope you find something that makes you happy. The exact opposite thing happened to me but I understand where you are coming from.

I bought my viper without ever having driven one as I would guess many other owners do and although I had a ride on one once from a very kind member of the local VCA, I was terrified I could not like driving it. Through the years I had heard lots of bad things against vipers to the point where I was really concerned and even scared of it. The idea of not liking my dream car wasn't a nice feeling.

Surprisingly I ended up liking the car much more than I could have imagine. This thing rocks, I know it's just a car but this car is without a doubt the best material thing I've ever had and the experiences it's giving me are priceless. It's just me and my wife, no kids so that makes the two seats more than enough. And my wife is loving the car more than I'd have ever imagine which is awesome. She is snake bitten. My only problem is the weather doesn't let me drive it more often.

The car is pushing me to be a better driver and even though I don't know if I will ever be able to take it to it's limits on a track or a safe environment. It has given me the confidence of being able to say I could cautiously drive any sports car in this planet and that's a great feeling.

Last edited:

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you don't get it after reading all the posts, then there is something wrong with your ability to comprehend and understand different thought other than your own. I'd work on that... :)

Like I said.......... Good grief!!!

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you miss rumble, that is easily fixed and the first thing I have done to all of my vipers. If you let out a bunch of brake fluid, take out a few spark plugs, and haphazardly unbolt a few suspension pieces, it will drive a lot like those old muscle cars too.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. Sorry but after having many of those cars in my husband hands in the past they do not compare to this car. Sorry, I have been corrupted by another car forum.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After having at least a dozen old 60's and 70's era muscle cars when I first started driving and then not having any for two decades when it was time to get a car it came down to the Viper or going after my first car again which was a 70 SS Chevelle which I truly loved. I got the Viper and now I often wonder what I was thinking even considering an old 70's muscle car. With the resurgence of new truly spectacular muscle cars that are available and coming out I feel strongly that the desirability and values on the old cars is starting to plummet.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After having at least a dozen old 60's and 70's era muscle cars when I first started driving and then not having any for two decades when it was time to get a car it came down to the Viper or going after my first car again which was a 70 SS Chevelle which I truly loved. I got the Viper and now I often wonder what I was thinking even considering an old 70's muscle car. With the resurgence of new truly spectacular muscle cars that are available and coming out I feel strongly that the desirability and values on the old cars is starting to plummet.
Yeah, I agree. Why bother with any of that old junk when we have so much cooler new junk available. I think it's awesome that the new ones will stop and turn, and they don't rattle.

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree. Why bother with any of that old junk when we have so much cooler new junk available. I think it's awesome that the new ones will stop and turn, and they don't rattle.
Allan & V10 are both right but it just feels good to reminisce about the good ole' days (when you were young & the girls were plentiful). I had a Vega (350 w/2-4's) & a 340 dodge demon (WOW) definitely fun back in the day & a 396 chevelle & other street cars that were Great back then. I cannot imagine going back to any of those over a Viper now. But, if you have a family & can only afford one or two cars, then the Viper shouldn't even be in the conversation. Everybody has different priorities & I guess it depends in what order you have them in. jmo

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Allan & V10 are both right but it just feels good to reminisce about the good ole' days (when you were young & the girls were plentiful).

That's why all those other people have the old cars at the events... So Viper owners can reminisce:D I love those cars too but after owning a Viper and seeing the cars that are coming out now with the technology and performance I just have no desire to buy an old classic anymore. That was much cooler when you could point to your old muscle car and say "they'll never build a car that performs like this again" While that's true:lmao: it's for good reason now.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could have been worse OP, I didn't like my brand new 09 ACR as it was backing off the delivery truck.
Didn't stay long.
Move along and forget it, just a car.

AJ02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still have my 77 383 EFI stroker Corvette for now. It's total custom and about as loud and rumbling as one can stand. After buying the Viper I've found I don't enjoy driving it as much as I used to, but I still like it. As others have said, it's just a car. Life is too short to settle.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the only way now days to have a old car, is to have it dropped on new tech suspention and steering- go to bj and buy one re-done,wacked out by a quadbillion air, and now is selling at a fraction on the dollar and be done...

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So true... Most of these older cars even if restored back to new condition are not comfortable to do a sustained ride at 75 or 80mph on today's roads and we know most folks are driving faster than that these days. I mean c'mon remember how much fun it was to set points and timing or have a carb with a sticky float or bushings that last 30,000 miles if you're lucky...

the only way now days to have a old car, is to have it dropped on new tech suspention and steering- go to bj and buy one re-done,wacked out by a quadbillion air, and now is selling at a fraction on the dollar and be done...

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So true... Most of these older cars even if restored back to new condition are not comfortable to do a sustained ride at 75 or 80mph on today's roads and we know most folks are driving faster than that these days. I mean c'mon remember how much fun it was to set points and timing or have a carb with a sticky float or bushings that last 30,000 miles if you're lucky...

I remember all those things and don't miss any of them. How about: vapor lock, seat cushion springs in your ****, plug wires burning on headers, rusty radiators, rust starting anywhere actually, etc...

ssjcreeper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I tell everyone that asks or aspires to have a Viper, it's DEFINITELY not for everyone.. and more than likely, it's not for them.

To me the charm of the Viper is in it's hot, loud, and raw nature. It's not like driving a Ferrari, not a Porsche, not a Vette, not a Mustang, nothing... none of them. It's as close to the modern day musclecar as you could get in my opinion. No fluff, no amenities, no gadgets, no bullsh!t. One big motor, four big brakes, and two seats to strap your butt in for one helluva ride. If you want that musclecar sound, trust me... a cam and headers make all the difference in the world, that V-10 can rumble with the nastiest sounding V-8s out there with the proper bolt-ons.

That being said, go with what you feel is right. I was on my third vette when I told my wife it just wasn't doing it for me anymore. Less than a year after picking up my latest vette I dumped it for my Viper and never looked back. Wish I woulda bought the Viper first, but glad I dumped the vette when I did, I just wasn't happy with it anymore.

OP
OP
S

Satchmo72

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The wife and I went for a ride in the Viper tonight, a spirited one and that thing is a blast to drive. She asked if I wanted her honest opinion and of course I do so...she went on to tell me that I would be nuts to sell it. It's fun, it's different, It's hot but no hotter than the 69 Charger or 70 Roadrunner we had and at least this has some air conditioning. She said she liked how raw it is, how fast and how different the Viper was to anything we have had. After tonights drive, I would have to say I agree. In my mind, these cars are so drastically different to both modern muscle and old muscle. Somewhere in-between, purpose built debowelers. Something I may have to get used to is the word pretenious, before i was just an old car guy, now I feel like I am the "Darling, what time is my tee time at the country club?" car guy. I have never been an egotistical maniac, i want this car cuz I want it, nothing else.

so.........

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The wife and I went for a ride in the Viper tonight, a spirited one and that thing is a blast to drive. She asked if I wanted her honest opinion and of course I do so...she went on to tell me that I would be nuts to sell it. It's fun, it's different, It's hot but no hotter than the 69 Charger or 70 Roadrunner we had and at least this has some air conditioning. She said she liked how raw it is, how fast and how different the Viper was to anything we have had. After tonights drive, I would have to say I agree. In my mind, these cars are so drastically different to both modern muscle and old muscle. Somewhere in-between, purpose built debowelers. Something I may have to get used to is the word pretenious, before i was just an old car guy, now I feel like I am the "Darling, what time is my tee time at the country club?" car guy. I have never been an egotistical maniac, i want this car cuz I want it, nothing else.

This kind of thing has happened to me as well. When you try to use the Viper like a "normal" car, calmly and quietly creeping around to the store and back, it just isn't all that endearing. But when you take a bit if a rowdy blast with a fine lady and she is laughing out loud from the sheer, raucous exuberance of this car, it all becomes worthwhile.

I've been gradually making tweaks to my Gen III to make it a little more liveable for the long haul, knowing full well it will never become a luxury touring car, but then, they will never be a Viper either.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts guys!!! Glad to know I am not the only one.

As far as practicality, I figured it in, I just didn't know it would bug me like it does. We enjoy going out as a family. I am more of a family guy I guess, I thought I might hang with my car buds more with this car.

As far as being as being fickle...you should see how many guitars I have owned and sold off!!! :)
im thinkin you need a miata, that would be perfect for you

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To the OP,

I went through the same thing but, what I did, was I took an aspirin and in the morning I sold my BB Corvette Roadster and bought one more Viper...:headbang:

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is why I have one of each, My 09 ACR and a 68 Coronet R/T. Lately I have been contemplating of getting rid of the R/T for an older Viper. I am very much on the fence.

Bruce

cetro993

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you miss rumble, that is easily fixed and the first thing I have done to all of my vipers. If you let out a bunch of brake fluid, take out a few spark plugs, and haphazardly unbolt a few suspension pieces, it will drive a lot like those old muscle cars too.

LMAO :lmao:

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Satchmo, I feel what you are saying as I too love the old muscle cars. How about getting a quality Shelby Cobra 427 replica or similar, and sell the Viper? Life is short and drive what you really want.

Magnus_

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If it's not you, it's not you.. get what you like, if you can afford it.

My gen3 fits me absolutely perfectly. I can think of no other car in existence that I'd rather have/race. I have an 08 Superleggera as well and it's nice and fun, but the viper is definitely more me.

Might be time for you to test drive some other cars.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang