I want my 2nd gen RT/10 to sound MEAN

Nitro187

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'd like to do a mod to make my Viper sound really nice, that isn't too labor intensive, as I don't want to spend crazy amount of money, or modifying of the body in order to accomidate.

Are headers the answer? If so, what kind of price am I looking at? $2500 installed?

Thanks!

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HF cats and Corsa 3" catback.
Headers make it VERY LOUD!

OP
OP
N

Nitro187

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So High flow cats and a corsa 3" catback would make it sound really nice? Loud I guess isn't important... not as much as saying "Want to see what a viper sounds like?" and getting that nice chest thumping rev going..... so this would do it? what would this run me... ballpark?

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can, try to listen to other Viper owner's exhaust setups in person before deciding on which brand to install. What sounds good to one person sounds bad to another. I was ready to with Corsa until I heard it in person. I was able to hear several Vipers in person at our local events before deciding on the exhaust I wanted. I also heard a sound clip here by Steve00RT/10 and that pretty much sold me on my Belanger headers and catback. I love it.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Tony. That would be this clip, with a few donut stills now included. Basically spinning through most of 1st gear and ending up a 1/4 mile away at 100 MPH or so. Recorded with a tiny little PDA by my brother who chuckles at the end that the sound seems so close. This was quite a while ago. Pre-blower. I have over 75K mile on the Belanger 'music' system. A good pair of speakers and this will rattle things around on your desk.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxMZ1JBVNuU[/media]

Steve

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Tony. That would be this clip, with a few donut stills now included. Basically spinning through most of 1st gear and ending up a 1/4 mile away at 100 MPH or so. Recorded with a tiny little PDA by my brother who chuckles at the end that the sound seems so close. This was quite a while ago. Pre-blower. I have over 75K mile on the Belanger 'music' system. A good pair of speakers and this will rattle things around on your desk.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxMZ1JBVNuU[/media]

Steve

one of my favorite sound clips,:2tu:

esp this time of year with the santa laugh of appreciation at the end :rolaugh:

thanks

cudavip

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you track your car or is it mostly street if mostly street I would just put on a Borla cat back system or one you like the sound of.
If you plan to track your car and start doing other mods to the drivetrain than look at a quality set of headers and so forth.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Want it to sound mean, you need a cam and exhaust [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2fxU4Xny2k[/media].

Granted this is way over your stated budget, but if your car is a '99 or older car it will have a bit of a lumpey cam sound at idle. Though I have headers, my first recommendation as others have said would be a Corsa or similar exhaust with high flow cats (metal matrix). If you look around, you can find the exhaust new on E-bay for around $1,200 plus shipping. I run Bassani cats, but most come from just a few sources anyway. just make sure your not getting junk. Randomtech cats are well known, but will run you a fortune. It's your call. If you plan on a header upgrade then get the 3" inlet and outlet Corsa, with 3" in and out cats. You will also need a reducer to hook it up to your existing head pipe. Burns stainless sells the finest reducers. Good luck!

Last edited:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the loudest, meanest sounding Viper of any owner in the area that I know of. I get some drone too though, but at this level, you have to expect it. The couple events I've attended with 20+ Vipers... mine barks MUCH louder and meaner than anyone else's.

Have tolerant neighbors. :D

That said, all I have are TNT 3' catbacks.... no headers and stock cats still intact.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the loudest, meanest sounding Viper of any owner in the area that I know of. I get some drone too though, but at this level, you have to expect it. The couple events I've attended with 20+ Vipers... mine barks MUCH louder and meaner than anyone else's.

That said, all I have are TNT 3' catbacks.... no headers and stock cats still intact.

Warfang pull the cats and you'll have a new definition of loud. You know just to really test your neighbors tolerance.:)

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i've had a few different variations on exhaust and the best sounding by far/meanest is the way mine is now...

bellangers, NO CATS,bullet mufflers in the sill and an x pipe muffler delete out back.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i've had a few different variations on exhaust and the best sounding by far/meanest is the way mine is now...

bellangers, NO CATS,bullet mufflers in the sill and an x pipe muffler delete out back.

which bullets did you use?

TIA

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want it to sound mean...skip ahead and install a Roe S.C. and go catless.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Warfang,

I'm sure you're car sounds great! ....but IMO, it's not possible for a catback car to have the bark of a headered car with no cats and see thru race bullet mufflers. Some may find it offensive, but we have been heard over 2 miles away at WOT. Neighbors close to 2 blocks away can hear our car start in the garage. They love it! ...or I guess the ones that mention it to us do. We have never had a complaint. I think the cops like it too as we have never been stopped for noise. It rattles the windows upstairs when idling below.

Our car is actually louder now at WOT than the clip above given the blower and 1.7 RRs.....more air in, more exhaust out. Bigger concussion.

Want it to sound mean, you need a cam and exhaust [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2fxU4Xny2k[/media].

Granted this is way over your stated budget, but if your car is a '99 or older car it will have a bit of a lumpey cam sound at idle. Though I have headers, my first recommendation as others have said would be a Corsa or similar exhaust with high flow cats (metal matrix). If you look around, you can find the exhaust new on E-bay for around $1,200 plus shipping. I run Bassani cats, but most come from just a few sources anyway. just make sure your not getting junk. Randomtech cats are well known, but will run you a fortune. It's your call. If you plan on a header upgrade then get the 3" inlet and outlet Corsa, with 3" in and out cats. You will also need a reducer to hook it up to your existing head pipe. Burns stainless sells the finest reducers. Good luck!

We have a Roe / Belanger header / Corsa car as well with high flow cats........I'm guessing your exhaust is a Corsa. It has a raspier sound than the Belanger mufflers. The cam definitely adds to the sound. Our Corsa car sounds just like your sound file...minus the cam.

Each system has it's own merits. I wouldn't change either one. I will say I think a cam addition alone (given the cost), on a stock exhaust, pretty much adds nothing.

I've heard hundreds of Vipers over the years. I've not heard a better set up than the Belanger. Granted, a cammed Belanger set up is at the top of the pile, but not nearly enough to make me spring for the cost.

Exhaust note is a very subjective thing. One man's music is another's cacaphony. I think the best way to decide is to hear a potential exhaust at WOT.

Steve

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Warfang,

I'm sure you're car sounds great! ....but IMO, it's not possible for a catback car to have the bark of a headered car with no cats and see thru race bullet mufflers. Some may find it offensive, but we have been heard over 2 miles away at WOT. Neighbors close to 2 blocks away can hear our car start in the garage. They love it! ...or I guess the ones that mention it to us do. We have never had a complaint. I think the cops like it too as we have never been stopped for noise. It rattles the windows upstairs when idling below.

Our car is actually louder now at WOT than the clip above given the blower and 1.7 RRs.....more air in, more exhaust out. Bigger concussion.

We have a Roe / Belanger header / Corsa car as well with high flow cats........I'm guessing your exhaust is a Corsa. It has a raspier sound than the Belanger mufflers. The cam definitely adds to the sound. Our Corsa car sounds just like your sound file...minus the cam.

Each system has it's own merits. I wouldn't change either one. I will say I think a cam addition alone (given the cost), on a stock exhaust, pretty much adds nothing.

I've heard hundreds of Vipers over the years. I've not heard a better set up than the Belanger. Granted, a cammed Belanger set up is at the top of the pile, but not nearly enough to make me spring for the cost.

Exhaust note is a very subjective thing. One man's music is another's cacaphony. I think the best way to decide is to hear a potential exhaust at WOT.

Steve
No doubt there are louder Vipers out there, but being in ****** Cali... Don't think I can go catless. But I'm definately louder than any Viper I've met in Califorina. It's as loud as I'd ever want to get... I get enough attention with the car alone... but they also hear me coming a mile away. :D

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
which bullets did you use?

TIA

In case you're interested, this the 'official' Belanger muffler that comes with the kit

Dynomax 24219 - Dynomax Race Bullet Mufflers - JEGS

I think that's where the deeper rumble comes from. I bet it would achieve a similar deeper sound in a non-headered car as well. Like Warfangs TNT set up, or the Corsa,
I believe the muffler itself (and not the cat back piping) has a whole lot to do with the sound. The headers take it to a different level.

The cheapest way to experiment is to eliminate the rear muffler with a couple pieces of 2.5" pipe. Any muffler shop can do it. Put the stock tips back on. Cost around here for that job is currently about $45 bucks total. It may be more in the city, but my guy did the whole job in a 1/2 hour back in 2000. ....so time wise that's what we're talking for labor. It will definitely start you in the right direction for the sound you're trying to get to

Another muffler I've thought about trying is the spiral muffler. Very nice sound......just not sure what it would do to the Belanger sound system. i like it the way it is.

Steve

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your right steve, everyone has a favorite set up. The reason I favored the Corsa though, is that the mufflers are straight tubing with no perforations, louvers, or any performance diminshing factors. They incorporate just one small slot (smooth) in each of the mufflers. You would'nt believe it if you looked through them. Really no performance loss over straight tubing. I never seen a system with their technology. As far as a cam, your absolutely right on a stock car.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In case you're interested, this the 'official' Belanger muffler that comes with the kit

Dynomax 24219 - Dynomax Race Bullet Mufflers - JEGS

I think that's where the deeper rumble comes from. I bet it would achieve a similar deeper sound in a non-headered car as well. Like Warfangs TNT set up, or the Corsa,
I believe the muffler itself (and not the cat back piping) has a whole lot to do with the sound. The headers take it to a different level.

The cheapest way to experiment is to eliminate the rear muffler with a couple pieces of 2.5" pipe. Any muffler shop can do it. Put the stock tips back on. Cost around here for that job is currently about $45 bucks total. It may be more in the city, but my guy did the whole job in a 1/2 hour back in 2000. ....so time wise that's what we're talking for labor. It will definitely start you in the right direction for the sound you're trying to get to

i like it the way it is. :2tu:

Steve

thanks for the info,

looked at pics of belanger's cat back and it looks like the bullets are mounted where the stock muffler is/was and straight pipe from the cats (resonators deleted) to the bullets

:dunno: i think i am over thinking this :dunno:

either way, plan to have new sound by Christmas

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TRUST ME! - B&B Headers, no cats, and a B&B catback system.
You'll have one of the meanest sounding Vipers in your club. Corsa sounds to ricey for me (no offense to others) and definately not loud enough, and i prefer B&B over Belanger because of the sound difference, Borla sounds good but to much drone, which dosen;t bother me but the B&B just sounded awesome so I went with that and i've been VERY happy with the sound of my viper. In my opinion Vipers sound weird because i'm used to muscle cars, and small block mustangs with 600HP+ with flowmaster exhaust. I've said it before and i;'ll say it again my Mustang sounds much better than any Viper i've ever heard but thats compairing apples to oranges because their totally different, but the best/loud/agressive throaty sound comes from B&B systems in my opinion and i've heard a TON of other vipers and compaired exhaust systems. From what you described B&B is what you;d like in my opinion..

Somone off this site said this about B&B to me when I was looking and i'm glad he did. I always get compliments on how good it sounds and yes you can wake the neighbors up 2+ blocks away IF you want.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the info,

looked at pics of belanger's cat back and it looks like the bullets are mounted where the stock muffler is/was and straight pipe from the cats (resonators deleted) to the bullets

:dunno: i think i am over thinking this :dunno:

either way, plan to have new sound by Christmas

Our system has 4 bullets...2 where the resonators were and 2 out the back. I opted to get 4 instead of 2 and put them where the resonators were. I have a friend with the same set up, but only 2 mufflers in the back (no resonators or cats) .....not a big difference in sound side by side......except his is a 97 with the lumpy cam, so that definitely adds some as stated above.

TRUST ME! - B&B Headers, no cats, and a B&B catback system.
You'll have one of the meanest sounding Vipers in your club. Corsa sounds to ricey for me (no offense to others) and definately not loud enough, and i prefer B&B over Belanger because of the sound difference, Borla sounds good but to much drone, which dosen;t bother me but the B&B just sounded awesome so I went with that and i've been VERY happy with the sound of my viper. In my opinion Vipers sound weird because i'm used to muscle cars, and small block mustangs with 600HP+ with flowmaster exhaust. I've said it before and i;'ll say it again my Mustang sounds much better than any Viper i've ever heard but thats compairing apples to oranges because their totally different, but the best/loud/agressive throaty sound comes from B&B systems in my opinion and i've heard a TON of other vipers and compaired exhaust systems. From what you described B&B is what you;d like in my opinion..

Somone off this site said this about B&B to me when I was looking and i'm glad he did. I always get compliments on how good it sounds and yes you can wake the neighbors up 2+ blocks away IF you want.

I don't think of the Corsa as so much ricey as more like a race car. I mean race car as in not drag racing. Old time drag race guys don't think much of a Viper exhaust no matter what kind is on there. The Corsa system with Belanger headers sounds pretty mean at WOT. Belangers with the race bullet mufflers have more of the deep rumble that V8 guys prefer. It's not possible to make a Viper sound like a V8........period. The B&B set up is a good one. Better than Belanger?......I would argue that point. Sound is very subjective. To each his own. You really have to hear it in person....both idling and WOT. My clip above, with a good bass speaker, is a fair idea of what it sounds like, but it was recorded with a pea size mic in a PDA and converted to a sound file. It's actually louder than the clip. With the Roe on, blowing by someone at WOT -- say 100 in 4th gear -- causes ears to hurt in the car being passed (windows down). We experimented with this on a ride a couple years ago. It was a consensual thing for the car being passed. They said it was good pain :smirk:

I'm sure the B&B system sets off car alarms everywhere as well. Great fun! We don't get to parking structures often, but when we do it's always nice to run up a few levels and wreak mayhem on car security systems. Parallel parking does the same. Actually just driving down the street sets them off.

....2 blocks aways has nothing to do with IF you want......starting the car does the trick. no pedal at all :2tu:

Steve

OP
OP
N

Nitro187

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ok, WHAT system do you guys think is in this? Cause I love the sound of this one... at least waht it sounds like through the speakers:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbb_ZWRMD64&feature=related[/media]