I WANT ONE OF THESE!! Now how about you? (pics)

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Chris! That's exciting news! A carbon/Kevlar kit? Sign me up! Keep us posted!

Austin, can you move the glass back a little so we get Chris' source to verify what it will look like? Might want to fill in that window gap with some hardtop too, since if we're going to be switching between hardtop and ragtop easily, we're certainly not going to be switching out the window.

Fasteddie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Count me in for a silver one! I was considering buying a top from Autoform until I saw this. Let me know when one is available.

Ed
[email protected]
04 SRT Viper

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would definitely buy one. Would you please keep us posted on its progress? Send me a PM with any details you come across. Thanks!

What company is making it?

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry for the delayed reply, it has been hectic around here to say the least!! Here is an update on the project as I know it, as well as a few more details:

First off, the project itself is being delayed a little bit, despite the excitement here. The reason is both because they no longer have a "donor car" to experiment with and because they are busy on some other projects. I suspect if they had a donor car they could pick up the pace a little bit.

The questions about both the rear glass and the side windows are answered in more detail right from the manufacturer: "The back window will be a polycarbonate with a hard coating to help protect it. To tool one up out of safety glass would cost more than buying five new Vipers. As for the side windows, we will have glass inserts here to preserve the roof line. They will either be black, smoked, or clear, and we will probably offer the glass in a variety of options to suit taste. There will be a machined aluminum piece that follows the entire window contour to make a good seal. This is all using the factory windows, sort of like this prototype shot:

You must be registered for see images

They go on to say, "We can’t stress enough that this is no weird prototype, it is an actual Comp Coupe roof modified to fit a special trunk and blended into one piece. The new roof will incorporate an entirely different trunk lid, all one piece with the roof. The rear glass then becomes the hatch back. We are maintaining the entire contour of the Comp Coupe’s roof line (around the back side of the glass) and blending it into the stock trunk features. Here is how it will work:

Step 1 - Remove the factory trunk.

Step 2 - Two people place the roof up to the windshield post and inset the pins just like the convertible top currently has.

Step 3 - Drop the back down and it will latch just like the factory trunk.

Step 4 - Get in the car and rotate the catch that locks to the factory convertible top catch just like you would with the convertible top.

Step 5 - Turn around and plug in the third brake light harness to the factory’s outlet and press the same two latches used on the carbon tonneaus to pull it into place by the doors.

Step 6 - Start up the car and go driving while people stare at you in awe!

That’s it. We really wanted to do some re-shaping on the side quarter glass, to make the profile contour match the back side of the door glass."

Also note that some DC press on the actual production SRT Coupe mention that the new roof is PLASTIC. This conversion roof will be carbon/kevlar - and as a result very likely to be stronger as well. How soon will it be ready to go? Well, if they can get an SRT for fit-and-finish work it shouldn't be too long. Fingers crossed!

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
that damn door glass needs to GO. how about using the door glass out of the new coupe when it comes out?

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that damn door glass needs to GO. how about using the door glass out of the new coupe when it comes out?
I think the challenge is that this is designed for folks that want to convert their cars from convertible to coupes and back again without too much hassle. If you have to swap out the side glass (removing door panels, etc.) it might be time-prohibitive. Not to mention the added cost of the glass. But hey, ANYTHING is possible, right? :2tu:

And if we can get Austin to work a little Photoshop magic with this most recent photo, he could experiment with that little triangular panel behind the glass and see what it would look like in clear glass, gloss black, etc. I suspect with an aluminum sealer strip between the factory glass and a matching piece of clear plexiglass it wouldn't look too horrible. And make that roof look gloss black to match the car - it would be MUCH better!

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why have the side glass at all? Why not just have the roof come all the way to the stock window on the sides???

I suppose a piece of glass there would improve visibility, which isn't a bad thing.

I'm excited!

Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now after seeing this, I think I might change my mind to get the Coupe after all!!! Although I don't know what number am I in the ticket line, but please do count me in as well!!! Thx!

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Absolutely! the one with the standard windown is much nicer. Hope they have not gotten too far with molds.

FLYNLO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: I WANT ONE OF THESE!! Now how about you? (pics)

ok..sorry if i have been misinformed..but i WANT ONE! bump for any updates?

eagles

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I want one, looks sooo much better w/o the window inserts
eagles

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I will check in with the folks that are working these - and there may actually be a couple companies doing so. In speaking with one very well-known manufacturer, they mentioned that the cost is high and they don't know that many people would want to actually remove their trunk lid to make the conversion.

I figure that if it has a good fit and finish, then I would be interested myself in making the conversion come November and switch 'em back in late March. Or maybe during track season if I were into Viper Days. Regardless, I think the interest is there.

Wayne Finch

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I will check in with the folks that are working these - and there may actually be a couple companies doing so. In speaking with one very well-known manufacturer, they mentioned that the cost is high and they don't know that many people would want to actually remove their trunk lid to make the conversion.

I figure that if it has a good fit and finish, then I would be interested myself in making the conversion come November and switch 'em back in late March. Or maybe during track season if I were into Viper Days. Regardless, I think the interest is there.

DITTO !!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21