If SRT really listened to what we wanted....

ArlyDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Then the front end wouldn't look like a corvette and the horsepower would be higher...at least 700. Complete Failure. I suspect this will be their worst selling model yet.

I mean c'mon, the 2 most important things on a sports car is how it looks on the front and the horsepower.

V10lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Then the front end wouldn't look like a corvette and the horsepower would be higher...at least 700. Complete Failure. I suspect this will be their worst selling model yet.

I mean c'mon, the 2 most important things on a sports car is how it looks on the front and the horsepower.

I don't agree with you but respect your opinion.

1)This car should have a completely redesigned NEW engine to go with the NEW car. They fell in the same mistake that GM did with the new camaro. A completely new car was born but they choose to go with that OLD LS corvette engine in a a new car. Even the camaro V6 got a new motor but GM thought that stuffing a vette engine in there would do it. Guess what? Ford did their work and came up with a modern DOHC 5.0L that absolute destroys the camaro and its 1.2L smaller. That equals fails for chevy and score for ford so that is what the viper needed: NEW ENGINE because 99% of the world has DOHC as we speak!

2)A second option for transmission should be anounced which would make the viper more attractive for other customers that don't like(or don't drive well standard). Probably, fancy Euro car guys would like it and the viper would sell more which is important in todays world.

I disagree with you mainly because I think the most important thing on a sports car is the engine, even before how it looks you could try to fix it with new hoods, etcc . The Engine is also the most expensive part of the car as well, it is the heart.

Again, Looks is relevant and its like a butt, each one has their own. Personally, I love how this new viper looks and think is **** as hell and that is for the exterior and interior. They did an amazing job on that area to my eyes.

So your saying that if the new viper had an all iron detroit diesel engine with 900hp and 1100trq that spins 3500rpm you would've liked it?

Remember that this new car is probably at 660-670 flywheel (under rated) with the mods that srt did to it but it is to hard to be precise since it was just released. I truly believe that it makes at least 660hp with what it was said so far that is not counting how light it is which was another good thing that they did for the car and for its performance.

It is not a complete failure at all to me. Please, let give credit where credit is due because those guys worked their ass es off to make it even possible for us to see a new viper so we can't be THAT ungrateful ...

Last edited:

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My thought is not too long ago there was complete uncertainty about the Viper. How can people be so upset of this? They did a FANTASTIC job! The plant was shut down for 2 years, there were rumors of the Viper being sold off, people were unsure if there would even be another Viper!

They took what they had, what they were given in a short period of time and built an amazing car. Simply amazing. Everything that matters about this car is better than any previous Viper, I simply don't get why people are so let down.

I don't care if a blown mustang, corvette, caddy, benz, or whatever makes more power. They have forced induction and for the most part can't hold a light to the Viper on a real race track, not your local highway roll race. We all get it, it's easy and cheaper to add big HP to a blown motor.

Completely ignore the HP numbers. I think people need to stand back a bit and look at what the Viper came from where it is and what it is competing with. This Viper will out perform just about anything thrown at it.

I am shocked by all the negative comments, ******** and moaning.

:drive:

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Cool, we'll go back to doing it the old way then, which resulted in sales dwindling to a record low of under 400 cars in 2010.

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ArlyDude.

First off the front end looks nothing like a corvette whatsoever so I will ignore your opinion there.

Secondly, If they could make it 700 hp I'm sure they would have. The cost of making a whole new engine Im positive would be more than they budgeted. They focused on the things that viper owners and fans complained about looks, interior and weight.

Also if you watched the Debut with Ralph you would notice that he said the ferrari has to be faster. I'm sure Fiat would not allow the viper to have more HP than the F12 Ferrari.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are things they did great. The clamshell, the stiffness, the style, boost of 40hp is nothing to complain about. But they are abandoning the purists. The interior is too busy with a bunch of gadgets - some of which are government forced, others not. I mean, an engine cover? Seriously? Maybe owners can recoup costs by selling those as wall art.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you guys are one trip to the ring with a new record from posting how great this car is......

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Growing on me.......should be some damn vents in the hood though.

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
640hp but the power curve is alot broader. With the available launch control it should easily beat a gen IV. The front looks nothing like a corvette. You have to see it in person. The back is a little Aston Martin IMO. The interior is amazing; leather, seats everything. about time!!!

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Glad (I guess) that someone else thinks the front looks like a Vette. My wife and I do. That does not mean it is necessarily bad, just that it looks too much like another car front the front. I think if the cross-hairs were not blacked out and made the same color as the car it would not look like a Vette at all. So, I am betting that a lot of people will have that (at least the cross-hairs) painted the same color as the car as one of thier first mods.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are things they did great. The clamshell, the stiffness, the style, boost of 40hp is nothing to complain about. But they are abandoning the purists. The interior is too busy with a bunch of gadgets - some of which are government forced, others not. I mean, an engine cover? Seriously? Maybe owners can recoup costs by selling those as wall art.

I agree with you Chuck, especially on the engine cover--UGH. First mod (after painting grill cross-hairs) take off that damn engine cover.

BCBowers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All you people saying "It looks like a Corvette" need to have your eyes checked...

You must be registered for see images

vs.

and

vs.

You must be registered for see images attach

and

vs.

JKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My thought is not too long ago there was complete uncertainty about the Viper. How can people be so upset of this? They did a FANTASTIC job! The plant was shut down for 2 years, there were rumors of the Viper being sold off, people were unsure if there would even be another Viper!

They took what they had, what they were given in a short period of time and built an amazing car. Simply amazing. Everything that matters about this car is better than any previous Viper, I simply don't get why people are so let down.

I don't care if a blown mustang, corvette, caddy, benz, or whatever makes more power. They have forced induction and for the most part can't hold a light to the Viper on a real race track, not your local highway roll race. We all get it, it's easy and cheaper to add big HP to a blown motor.

Completely ignore the HP numbers. I think people need to stand back a bit and look at what the Viper came from where it is and what it is competing with. This Viper will out perform just about anything thrown at it.

I am shocked by all the negative comments, ******** and moaning.

:drive:

Agreed, I think it is fantastic that SRT cared enough about the Viper to develop this car so quickly after their reorganization. Aluminum doors, carbon fiber body, great interior, less weight, and with a nice bump in HP.

I guess when they get around to direct injection we will see another bump. There always has to be something out there to motivate new buyers. All in all, a great effort and looks like a fantastic car.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
only 2 cars have a HP to weight ratio higher than the Viper and one of the cars is over 1 million dollars. I think folks need to step back and look at what they have accomplished. They have answered a lot of the issues the Viper community has asked for.

Bruce

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can't always get what you want....Good job BCBowers on that compare. I wasn't blown away by the HP but since I can't keep my Gen 4 tires from spinning, 40hp more with the 3.55 gears should be plenty. Can't wait to see one in person. I just hope the damn sun visors work better, seriously.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also if you watched the Debut with Ralph you would notice that he said the ferrari has to be faster. I'm sure Fiat would not allow the viper to have more HP than the F12 Ferrari.

I always knew this would happen once Fiat owned Chrysler. Sad. I guess this means the ACR will not be allowed to be as dominant as the Gen IV's were. They blew the doors off of the Enzo and any other Ferrari production car to date around a track for a fraction of the cost. ***** the Viper now has shackles on its performance. Oh well its still plenty fast enough.

BCBowers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After those pic comparisons, it looks even more like a Vette. :smirk:
I've owned four C5s.... it's very non-Corvette

1. Headlights are completely different shapes and in different positions

2. Fogs vs. no fogs

3. Viper is far curvier and more rounded

4. Viper's side with the intersecting curves and huge side cove is completely different

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gearing multiplication down the driveline has a huge implication on performance. The new tight gearing will more than make up for the supposed weak horsepower.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After those pic comparisons, it looks even more like a Vette. :smirk:

+1, (re the front, esp the hood to bumper line and headlights) looks like the vette, but better

but not the rear, which is aston-ish (not a bad thing)

all things considered, srt did a fine job:2tu:

if anyone thinks they should have had a bigger voice in the development than srt gave on this 1 (sure, it would be nice, but necessary :dunno: ), well, their's is a healthy self image

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your pictures are all wrong with my point. Straight on front not from the top showing the hood, but striaght on as it would be coming down the road. Your views show the Viper from a "fly-over" angle and that cannot be compared to striaght on eye-level front. There are no pictures of the Viper at this angle that I can find except in a You Tube video I referenced in another thread. I gave the time location in the video and if I knew how to create a picture from that particular part of the video I would do it and you would see what I mean. Otherwise, your comparisons are not valid because of the angles.

All you people saying "It looks like a Corvette" need to have your eyes checked...

vs.

and

vs.

You must be registered for see images attach

and

vs.

46hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems like people are longing for the feelings that the original Viper instilled. That was a once in a very, very long time phenomenon. They captivated a nation, car fans or not. It was a perfect storm. The Viper in its previous form, could not exist today. They need to sell cars and not just to the VCA. Viper was for sale - it did not sell. There is a reason for that.

One area of success for Fiat has been their ability to market a niche vehicle and give it broader appeal. The Jeep Wrangler is a prime example. The purists went nuts when they saw the luxuries of the current version of the Wrangler. Navigation, leather and heated seats, climate control etc. The end result is that the Wrangler is more popular (saleswise) than ever. You see people driving Wranglers that would never have been caught dead in them 10 years ago. Is it a good thing? I guess in the big picture it is. The more Wranglers they make the more American workers feed their families, but its a double edge sword. Ten years ago I could not pass another Wrangler on the road without giving the "Jeep Wave". It was a unique brethren. Today (unless I am in my TJ) its largely gone, at least in my area where every soccer mom is driving a 4 door Sahara. You can still buy a bare bones Wrangler, but its given something back that it seemingly cant get back.

I love my GTS - For me it embodied the spirit of what that original group set out to do. I am sure the new Viper is far superior to my ACR in every regard except perhaps the one which was the reason I wanted it to begin with.

I think this article is a great read for all Viper fans to read (or re-read).
To try and do this twice is just not realistic. I can appreciate the new Viper for what it is - an evolution not a replacement. You can only be first once.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20120329/CARNEWS/120329813

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems like people are longing for the feelings that the original Viper instilled. That was a once in a very, very long time phenomenon. They captivated a nation, car fans or not. It was a perfect storm. The Viper in its previous form, could not exist today. They need to sell cars and not just to the VCA. Viper was for sale - it did not sell. There is a reason for that. .......

To try and do this twice is just not realistic. I can appreciate the new Viper for what it is - an evolution not a replacement. You can only be first once.

from the article (thanks)

In retrospect, it's clear the Viper team really was confronting two challenges at once. One was building the car. The other, no less important, was testing in microcosm our thinking about how platform teams should work.

We knew that if the Viper were to stand a chance of getting a green light from all of senior management, we would need to show the car had more going for it than our own right-brained passion and gut instinct. So, we subjected the car to an unflinching, left-brained analysis: for how little could we build it; how many enthusiasts might buy it; where in the market should it be priced?

Luckily for the Viper (and Chrysler!), senior management ultimately sided with the enthusiasts-but only because we'd done our homework and had marshaled a persuasive leftbrained case to go along with our right-brained instincts. At long last, in mid-'89, Lee Iacocca, in a nicely staged bit of showmanship during a West Coast financial analysts' meeting, tossed me a set of Viper keys. "Go build it, Lutz," he barked. He didn't have to tell me twice!

To this day, I have Japanese car executives coming up to me and saying, "Tell me, Mr. Lutz, exactly what market research led you to build the Viper? That research must certainly have been quite in-depth." My response: "We didn't do any research at all-we just did it!''

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20120329/CARNEWS/120329813#ixzz1rB8A444v

BCBowers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's your dead on front picture...

!=

The new car is clearly an evolution of the Gen-II car...

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm guessing the first time that someone puts the Gen 5 on a dyno they will be surprised by the HP the car makes at the wheels. My guess is that it will be over 600 at the wheels, easy. Just because SRT says the car makes 640 at the crank, does not make it so. It is one way they can still give the Ferrari bragging rights but still kick its butt at the Ring.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
To me, the front end looks EXACTLY like a snake!

Look at the snake head "shift light", then look at the front end of the Gen5. That's what they were going for, and it's "spot on". The front end looks more snake-like than the Gen2 GTS, (which I have, and still love dearly, don't misunderstand me) But the Gen5 is just that much better.

I get it now, it's sunk in.

This is the best Viper ever.

Condolences to Vette fans. If the Jalopnik illustrations are correct, the stylists at GM took out a big ugly stick, bashed a C6 with it until it was dizzy, then just to humiliate it more, they stuck some fugly Camaro tailights on it, kicked it out the door, and "voila", they now have a Camaravette. Look at the C7, (try not to puke), then look back at the Gen5! Wow, did we get a home run or what? It's the best Viper yet.

No disresepect to Vette, they are a great American sports car, and I myself was considering one until the Jalopnik "reveal".

But after comparing the two, I'd say the Viper Nation got the better part of the styling deal. We got something really cool.

GONABITE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I asked Ralph about the Ferrari comment and he stressed that it was only a joke and that there are good things to come.

ArlyDude.

First off the front end looks nothing like a corvette whatsoever so I will ignore your opinion there.

Secondly, If they could make it 700 hp I'm sure they would have. The cost of making a whole new engine Im positive would be more than they budgeted. They focused on the things that viper owners and fans complained about looks, interior and weight.

I asked Ralph about the Ferrari comment he stressted that it was only a joke and that there are good things to come.

Solid Red 98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems like people are longing for the feelings that the original Viper instilled. That was a once in a very, very long time phenomenon. They captivated a nation, car fans or not. It was a perfect storm. The Viper in its previous form, could not exist today. They need to sell cars and not just to the VCA. Viper was for sale - it did not sell. There is a reason for that.

One area of success for Fiat has been their ability to market a niche vehicle and give it broader appeal. The Jeep Wrangler is a prime example. The purists went nuts when they saw the luxuries of the current version of the Wrangler. Navigation, leather and heated seats, climate control etc. The end result is that the Wrangler is more popular (saleswise) than ever. You see people driving Wranglers that would never have been caught dead in them 10 years ago. Is it a good thing? I guess in the big picture it is. The more Wranglers they make the more American workers feed their families, but its a double edge sword. Ten years ago I could not pass another Wrangler on the road without giving the "Jeep Wave". It was a unique brethren. Today (unless I am in my TJ) its largely gone, at least in my area where every soccer mom is driving a 4 door Sahara. You can still buy a bare bones Wrangler, but its given something back that it seemingly cant get back.

I love my GTS - For me it embodied the spirit of what that original group set out to do. I am sure the new Viper is far superior to my ACR in every regard except perhaps the one which was the reason I wanted it to begin with.

You seem to get it. Very well put. As much as I like the new car, I love my old GTS even more. As soon as I can get together some extra...apparently a whole lot of extra scratch together, I will likely buy one If l like the feel, which is hard to imagine not liking the feel of a more refined total Viper beast. I am amazed at all of the whining. It is almost as if people are forgetting that this car is a VIPER with 3:55 gears and 640 optionally activated launch controlled horsepower. Geez.....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21