If SRT really listened to what we wanted....

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Evolution usually means improvement of form for function. I don't see any improvement of form but a mish-mash of design suggestions being implemented by in-the-box designers.

The new car is clearly an evolution of the Gen-II car...

You must be registered for see images

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know if it was intentional but now that I have had time to think things over, the headlights look like a big insult to a backstabbing Mercedes, more specifically the SLS AMG for which a Viper was used as a prototype mule long after they spewed out Chrysler and drained it from everything they had, and flat out stealing the designation that used to belong to the ME 4-12.

Moderator edit for language

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Then the front end wouldn't look like a corvette and the horsepower would be higher...at least 700. Complete Failure. I suspect this will be their worst selling model yet.

I mean c'mon, the 2 most important things on a sports car is how it looks on the front and the horsepower.

I agree and disagree with your opinion here! This ain't no Corvette, but at the same time it is very tame or should we say classy looking compared to what we are used to! I guess this is why they have the other model!! For the true diehards!!

BCBowers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seriously... the front of the car looks like a snake's head... an actual snake's head. I know it was said above, but really look at the pics especially the headlights and you'll see a snake's eyes staring at you.

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've owned four C5s.... it's very non-Corvette

1. Headlights are completely different shapes and in different positions

2. Fogs vs. no fogs

3. Viper is far curvier and more rounded

4. Viper's side with the intersecting curves and huge side cove is completely different

OK, so I've only owned two Corvettes. But this still resembles a Corvette, especially from a distance. :sorry2:

Everyone has their own perception, and there is no right or wrong in peoples' opinions.

I actually like it though...just not floored by it.

Last edited:

Vooodoo ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The thing is GM copied the Gen 3 styling for the C6 platform, so if you're seeing any Corvette styling it originally came from the Gen 3.

Sabera

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know if it was intentional but now that I have had time to think things over, the headlights look like a big insult to a backstabbing Mercedes, more specifically the SLS AMG for which a Viper was used as a prototype mule long after they spewed out Chrysler and drained it from everything they had, and flat out stealing the designation that used to belong to the ME 4-12.

Moderator edit for language

Agreed, first thing I thought when I saw the headlights was SLS AMG... It'll take time but I'll get used to it, dito on the carbon in the rear.

JnM_SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They say it's only got 640HP but I thought there were rumors going around that it really has more and they (Chrysler Group) had to scale the HP back a little for EPA regulations ... Could just be whispers in the wind but I'd like to believe it.

Oh and it looks NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING like a Vette ... If your a Viper owner/enthusiast and you really think it looks like a Vette you should have your Viper Club status revoked immediately.

NorthernSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone who thinks they should have jumped 100hp between models is smoking crack.
The 2001 lamborghini diablo 6.0's had 575hp. When the murcielago came out in 2002 it had....580hp!!! a jump of a whole 5HP!
the same can be pointed out of the ferrari 355 to the 360, porshces...pretty much sports cars in general. 100hp is a MASSIVE leap for a one model redesign.
Lamborghini murcielagos' started at 580, then 640, then 670 with the SV...the new Aventador got a 30hp jump to 700...you didn't hear anyone complaining.
at this power level the cars are so damn fast it practically makes no difference. plus they went to 3.55 gears instead of 3.07...i assure you that difference alone combined with and extra 40hp will feel like 100-120hp gain in these cars. (going to 3.55'sin the gen2's felt like 50-70 easy)

cars would have 2000+hp at the rate of evolution your dreaming about.

and the car looks fantastic, and so does the interior...its a home run in my books. Everyone who's hating now will be loving it soon...what else can you buy that looks this good and goes this fast for less than $450k??? tell me what you would rather have? a GTR? lol Under a $million the new Viper and the Aventador are the best there is IMO.

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They say it's only got 640HP but I thought there were rumors going around that it really has more and they (Chrysler Group) had to scale the HP back a little for EPA regulations ... Could just be whispers in the wind but I'd like to believe it.

Oh and it looks like a Vette ... If your a Viper owner/enthusiast and you really don't think it looks like a Vette you should have your Viper Club status revoked immediately.

LOL...........

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it's funny people are complaining the Gen V looks like a C-6 Vette. Back when the C-6 came out, you complained it looked too much like a Viper! Besides, you could correctly make visual comparisons between almost any car, espeially among the high potency F/R cars of today. It's not like the Designers can make the car look any way they want; function must triumph over form! If you don't believe in that, go buy an Alfa or a Maserati. Do you seriously think the Gen II cars would look like they did if the designers and engineers had access to todays technology? I'd guess the end result would have looked much the same as the Gen V.

And another thing I don't think you guys are thinking about is the amount of customization that is to be offered with these new beauties. The Viper will be using the same low-volume production techniques as Ferrari, so there should be vast opportunity for personalization.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, so I've only owned two Corvettes. But this still resembles a Corvette, especially from a distance. :sorry2:

Everyone has their own perception, and there is no right or wrong in peoples' opinions.

I actually like it though...just not floored by it.

After watching a posted video on Youtube of the Gen 5 driving up a driveway, I agree that for a split second I can see a little bit of a C-6 in the area below the lights from a distance as the car approaches. The first time I saw my car coming around a corner on video I thought it was a red 599 until I realized it was my Viper.

There have been hundreds of car models since the 60's...it doesn't matter what you design today, it will look a little like something else.

Overall the Gen 5 is a home run in the looks dept....I can't wait to see it in black...will look like evil sex :2tu:

Cheers,
George

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's your dead on front picture...

!=

Yep, looks like a Vette from the front--thanks. Sides, rear, top all different; but from the front... Especially going down the road like in the You Tube Video, front very much like a Vette. I like the Vette, so it is no jab at either car.

Now, if you paint the cross-hairs making them more visible (notice the special side lighting on the front cross-hairs making them appear more visible, but in the video in natural light they dissappear to black and that is what helps make it appear more Vette like), it would not look resemble a Vette.

No matter your opinion on that, it is looking better to me all the time. I need to see it in person. I am hoping the stance is more agressive looking in person.

2003 Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you Dodge and SRT for the new Viper, I LOVE IT! My 2003 runs like a champ and is a blast to drive with 500hp, I can only imagine 640hp with a 3:55 rear. IMO it's a home run!!

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guy's, this is sorta funny when you think about...
Very recent years everybody talks about how the vette looks like the viper because they keep copying the vipers designs and now Gen V is hear and it suddenly looks like a vette.
So ultimately, in a twisted way it still is true to the viper dna right?

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, looks like a Vette from the front--thanks. Sides, rear, top all different; but from the front... Especially going down the road like in the You Tube Video, front very much like a Vette. I like the Vette, so it is no jab at either car.

Now, if you paint the cross-hairs making them more visible (notice the special side lighting on the front cross-hairs making them appear more visible, but in the video in natural light they dissappear to black and that is what helps make it appear more Vette like), it would not look resemble a Vette.

No matter your opinion on that, it is looking better to me all the time. I need to see it in person. I am hoping the stance is more agressive looking in person.

Well said and agree 100%. I really do like it and am happy we have a 2013 to talk about!! :2tu:

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thank you Dodge and SRT for the new Viper, I LOVE IT! My 2003 runs like a champ and is a blast to drive with 500hp, I can only imagine 640hp with a 3:55 rear. IMO it's a home run!!

I agree with you 100%, as a fellow 2003 owner!

P.S. - THe Gen 3 8.3 engine is actually 510 hp, based on the revised SAE rates implented in 2006..hey, every little bit helps!

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Headlights do not look the same, hood does not look the same, double bubble does not look the same, no fog lights on the Viper, front grill is much larger on the Viper, hood scoop isn't even a hood scoop on the Vette, and the Vette looks like it has a beak. Sorry, no similarities. Maybe a Ferrari, but not a Chevy.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
after seeing those comparison pics, it definitely looks like a vette from the front and side, the rear is so much better it isnt funny though. but who cares, it looks great. if it performs half as good as it looks, we should all be happy

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Headlights do not look the same, hood does not look the same, double bubble does not look the same, no fog lights on the Viper, front grill is much larger on the Viper, hood scoop isn't even a hood scoop on the Vette, and the Vette looks like it has a beak. Sorry, no similarities. Maybe a Ferrari, but not a Chevy.

Denial can be a wonderful thing...

BCBowers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Viper has no visible hood lines; clamshell.
2. Viper's fender creases flow inside of the healights and into the fascia framing the lamps vs. the Corvette's fender lines that terminate in the headlights.
3. Viper's mouth is trapezoidal vs. the Corvette mouth being rectangular.
4. Viper lacks any foglights and has side vents lacking on the Corvettte.
5. Viper's styling is far more voluptuous and curvaceous vs. the angular/crisp/trim C6.
6. Viper's nose opening is an actual NACA duct vs. the Corvette's being a basic opening.
7. Viper has deep flowing coves in the hood to let air coming through the radiator flow out thereby decreasing lift. Corvette has a radiator angled backward to allow air to flow down and under the car.
8. Viper has an integrated body-colored splitter vs. the Corvette's add-on separate piece. They are very different shapes.
9. The headlights are very different shapes and the Viper lights have one main lens with LED drls and turn signals etc.

I can go on.... these are very different cars. If you truly think these look alike you could take any sleek, front engined sports car with fixed headlights and you can say they "look alike". If that's the case then Chevy and Dodge both copied the Honda S2000.

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Point out one thing that looks so Corvettish on the front? The fact that it has headlights, a scoop and a windshield? So does just about every other car out there. If anything Corvette argument is moot because the Gen3/4 looks way more like a Vette than the Gen 5 ever possibly could.

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is always going to be someone that will complain. Not enough hp, looks terrible... blah blah blah. Just shows that you cant please everyone. I happen to think they did an outstanding job with everything. That is one **** car and I am sure it will be more performance than most people can handle. Everything about the car is well done. I especially like the interior as it looks to be on par with most exotics these days. This car will sell very well and will compete with the exotics which cost 2-3 times as much. Cant wait to see the 0-60 and quarter mile times.... that much hp with launch control and 3.55s!!!! Insane. hate all you want but I would take that over my 04 any day of the week.... and would tkae it over a Gen IV as well.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mi 'scusi for my language earlier, sometimes my outspoken mind gets the best of me :D See underneath for the SLS AMG headlight comparison:

IMGP0554.JPG

Last edited:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All they need to do is make the crosshair stand out.

And even if they look similar I'm betting driving them will be quite different. I know driving the GenIV is nothing like driving a Vette.

triplexotica

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here's my take......

Being a Gen2 ACR owner since new. Thank GOD I have my 02 ACR.

I never got into the gen 3 or gen 4 for the exception of maybe a 10' ACR and even that still didnt do too much for me.

This Gen 5 at first look made me think..... That front lower has to go, but when someone put a Gen 2 side by side. It's not a bad looking car guys! I'm sure someone like dave will find a way to MOD the heck out of it, and maybe add some white covers or something up front. lol

It kinda looks like a modern Gen 2 . In my opinion there's NO VETTE in that car if anything there's a little DB-9 (rear) with a splash of 599 GTO which is not a bad thing.

I give 2 thumbs up for giving it the clamshell hood, that was a major turn off for me in the gen 3-4's.

NOW that we got something cool, an ACR in 2014 is in order! :smirk:

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only downside to me is the clamshell hood. Just imagine what that is going to cost if it is damaged!!!! Other than that I think everything abou the car is great. Cant wait to see one in person.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Then the front end wouldn't look like a corvette and the horsepower would be higher...at least 700. Complete Failure. I suspect this will be their worst selling model yet.

I mean c'mon, the 2 most important things on a sports car is how it looks on the front and the horsepower.

Really Arly? Looks like a Corvette....NOT. BooHoo-in about the horsepower and ignoring the Torque...you do know that torque wins races not horsepower. Suspect this will be their worst selling model.....don't wager your life's savings on it!
There will be a lot of people that will "see the light" when this car hits the streets and especially the track!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth