IF YOUR BUYING A COUPE GOOD IDEA TO WAIT

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about you step up to the plate mr. VCA president and stop hiding behind the winks and nods. You tell us how long it takes to certify a new car. Is it less than 18 months? Do you as a VCA president know something, or are you spewing BS? How about you put your money where your mouth is numb nuts? Now how about you detail "said changes". Don't be vague since your are a VCA presidnet and are in the know. If you are lying, or are wrong, you should step down and remit any payments you have recieived from the the VCA (ie ME).

I think you are just another blow hard pusssy.

:headbang: :headbang:

Wow, your first reply actually owned up to the bet like a real man with minimal insults. Yet you couldn't stand such a civilized response and now you have once again reduced yourself to name calling like a pouty little kindergartner.

Please, please continue to self-destruct as we all watch in amusement. Just make sure enough of your brain is left to count out $100.00 in the next year. Hell, I will even add another $100.00 and bet that you will get the word no later than September regarding an '08 model. No inside knowledge, but a hell of a lot more faith than you seem to grasp.

Best regards,

Chris

PS. Just to let you know, there is not a single person in the VCA that earns so much as a penny from the VCA. But thanks for the thought.

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great response Chris. Glad that you did not stoop to his level and that you clarified the "no inside knowledge" point, indicating yours is glass half full speculation rather than the normal glass darn near empty perspective prescribed here.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yikes! Let's keep this civil, shall we? There's a difference between an opiniated disagreement and a bar room brawl. A quick-witted jab is not the same as a foul-mouthed insult. :mad:

Vipah, I share your frustration, but talking like ghetto trash does not add any points to your side of the argument. The VCA "leadership," if you can call it that, needs to police themselves a whole lot better. If you have inside info, please respect your NDAs or your inside source by not playing the "I know more than you, neener neener," game. It is an utter abuse of the power the VCA members GAVE you. You are hurting the Viper by simply blabbing your mouth about any of this. Group unity is a sign of good leadership. I see none of that here. Just look at all the divisions on this forum... it is a sign of poor leadership at ALL levels of the VCA. The other region presidents should have better sense to tell the blabbing leaders to shut up.

Isn't there a list of responsibilities and conduct expected of an elected official in the club? If there isn't there SHOULD BE. Make sure one of the conducts expected is that an officer is NOT allowed to make comments on future products as someone that is "in the know," especially in a public venue (like this forum). Try: "No Comment," or "As a VCA officer, I do not comment on future DC products or announcements." I'd guarantee you'd get a lot more respect that "I know something you dont". *wink, wink*

Character is not defined when things are cush and you're at the top of the hill (like the Viper has been for 13 years), but when all appears lost and dark. Show us the light at the end of the tunnel, not dangle the flashlight above us while you snicker.

Warfang - Nice post and a very valid concern. Let me assure you that I am in the dark as much as anybody here. You can ask ANY VCA president how much they know about upcoming product and the answer is ZERO. Hell, try the National VCA Board members (and I am one) and ask them how much they know about upcoming product. The answer? ZERO.

My bet is based 100% on what I read and hear on these forums, other forums, and general gossip. Throw in a gut feel that is very rarely wrong, and I am confident to put up that $100. Read the posts about SEMA (which correctly predicted VOI for 2004), about the Ilmor engine, about the Firepower, about the Prowler assembly line, statements from DC personnel in VIPER magazine, etc. Then apply a little analytical skills to those writings and what you know about Chrysler - especially in the face of a very well thought-out Z06. You don't need to have any inside knowledge if you just use your noggin, unlike our name-calling friends.

I am in total agreement with you that any elected VCA official - at any level - that abuses inside knowledge, betrays a confidence, or "dangles a carrot" to taunt others should be dismissed from their position. Rest assured that I would be the very first to step down if I thought I was betraying any confidences. However, since I have the same incredible number of "inside contacts" as you do (which I assume is none), then I am not in the slightest bit of danger.

Finally, I would ask that you respect my right to have an opinion. The VCA demands a lot from it's regional presidents and they get nothing in return. There is no pay, no benefits, no nothing besides a chance to get a cool plaque on stage at VOI. Many of us put an extraordinary amount of time into not only the VCA, but into the Viper community as a whole. I try to post constructive comments and suggestions here, although some can get the best of me at times. I also have my very own opinions that I like to share on occasion. I hope you will respect my right to post them.

Chris

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen IV is already in development and has been for a couple of years. It would not be hard to hide development of a drivetrain as initial work would be done in labs and such to which a very limited amount of people have access. From there, mules wearing current SRT-10 skin could easily be driven around with a new powertrain and platform changes without anyone in the public viewing the car knowing the difference. I've been told that there is already an 8.4L V-10 and that the T-56 is being heavily reworked to be a better shifting tranny. I would also suspect that better gearing is going in for 5th and 6th. As far as powertrain that would only leave the smog cert to be done which does not take 18 months. The new skin would also be developed by a very select few (BTW: the limited number of people working on this car makes leaks very easy to detect and therefore threats of punishment must be taken very seriously by those working on the car). I was told at SEMA that alot of work has already been done on the gen IV skin by someone very high up at Chrysler design studios. As you know the design studio is used to keeping secrets and I'm sure one as key as the new Viper would be easy to keep. Finally, at SEMA every SRT and Dodge person I spoke to (including the Viper product mgr) said that SRT10 sales have been a big problem and that the launch of the coupe has gone poorly. They recognize a need to redesign the car to keep it selling and when met with some of the inside info I have been fed all tried to keep a poker face, but it was easy to read that there is at least some truth to these "rumors". I believe that we will see the new Viper at the next VOI 10 months from now. This car will go into production 1/2/07 as a model year '08, along side the Firepower.

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I find this to be a sad thread. I see this forum as my main communication line with people who own and obsess about Vipers as much as myself since there are so few here in Rochester, NY. (maybe 20 or less in a population over 1 million) I have yet to talk to in person or on the phone with another Viper owner after 1 year. I really get that exclusive feeling to the point of isolation here.

I have friends and family with Corvettes and other cool rides and they are the car guys I relate most with locally. I still feel the need to communicate with "my own kind" as those other cars just don't excite me as much as a Viper.

Time permitting, I hope to attend a VCA event next year and hope to get info on Viper forums in my area if any or at Watkins Glen. :headbang:

Criticism is fine and welcome as long as it is constructive and not always negative. Intergenerational feuds are ridiculous and unnecessary. :rolleyes:

I hope this view from my angle inspires you all to keep this a classy forum and show respect to fellow Viper owners. All Viper owners are winners in my book for their choice in buying the most exiting thing on the planet for the money. :2tu:

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen IV is already in development and has been for a couple of years. It would not be hard to hide development of a drivetrain as initial work would be done in labs and such to which a very limited amount of people have access. From there, mules wearing current SRT-10 skin could easily be driven around with a new powertrain and platform changes without anyone in the public viewing the car knowing the difference. I've been told that there is already an 8.4L V-10 and that the T-56 is being heavily reworked to be a better shifting tranny. I would also suspect that better gearing is going in for 5th and 6th. As far as powertrain that would only leave the smog cert to be done which does not take 18 months. The new skin would also be developed by a very select few (BTW: the limited number of people working on this car makes leaks very easy to detect and therefore threats of punishment must be taken very seriously by those working on the car). I was told at SEMA that alot of work has already been done on the gen IV skin by someone very high up at Chrysler design studios. As you know the design studio is used to keeping secrets and I'm sure one as key as the new Viper would be easy to keep. Finally, at SEMA every SRT and Dodge person I spoke to (including the Viper product mgr) said that SRT10 sales have been a big problem and that the launch of the coupe has gone poorly. They recognize a need to redesign the car to keep it selling and when met with some of the inside info I have been fed all tried to keep a poker face, but it was easy to read that there is at least some truth to these "rumors". I believe that we will see the new Viper at the next VOI 10 months from now. This car will go into production 1/2/07 as a model year '08, along side the Firepower.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good and bad news. I am sure the higher price for the Coupe has something to do with the poor launch even though it is an improved Viper. DC take note that the price increase was unjustified without performance enhancements. Keeping the price reasonable on the Gen IV will be more important than ever to sell enough Vipers given the improved competition in the market.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yikes! Let's keep this civil, shall we? There's a difference between an opiniated disagreement and a bar room brawl. A quick-witted jab is not the same as a foul-mouthed insult. :mad:

Vipah, I share your frustration, but talking like ghetto trash does not add any points to your side of the argument. The VCA "leadership," if you can call it that, needs to police themselves a whole lot better. If you have inside info, please respect your NDAs or your inside source by not playing the "I know more than you, neener neener," game. It is an utter abuse of the power the VCA members GAVE you. You are hurting the Viper by simply blabbing your mouth about any of this. Group unity is a sign of good leadership. I see none of that here. Just look at all the divisions on this forum... it is a sign of poor leadership at ALL levels of the VCA. The other region presidents should have better sense to tell the blabbing leaders to shut up.

Isn't there a list of responsibilities and conduct expected of an elected official in the club? If there isn't there SHOULD BE. Make sure one of the conducts expected is that an officer is NOT allowed to make comments on future products as someone that is "in the know," especially in a public venue (like this forum). Try: "No Comment," or "As a VCA officer, I do not comment on future DC products or announcements." I'd guarantee you'd get a lot more respect that "I know something you dont". *wink, wink*

Character is not defined when things are cush and you're at the top of the hill (like the Viper has been for 13 years), but when all appears lost and dark. Show us the light at the end of the tunnel, not dangle the flashlight above us while you snicker.

Warfang - Nice post and a very valid concern. Let me assure you that I am in the dark as much as anybody here. You can ask ANY VCA president how much they know about upcoming product and the answer is ZERO. Hell, try the National VCA Board members (and I am one) and ask them how much they know about upcoming product. The answer? ZERO.

My bet is based 100% on what I read and hear on these forums, other forums, and general gossip. Throw in a gut feel that is very rarely wrong, and I am confident to put up that $100. Read the posts about SEMA (which correctly predicted VOI for 2004), about the Ilmor engine, about the Firepower, about the Prowler assembly line, statements from DC personnel in VIPER magazine, etc. Then apply a little analytical skills to those writings and what you know about Chrysler - especially in the face of a very well thought-out Z06. You don't need to have any inside knowledge if you just use your noggin, unlike our name-calling friends.

I am in total agreement with you that any elected VCA official - at any level - that abuses inside knowledge, betrays a confidence, or "dangles a carrot" to taunt others should be dismissed from their position. Rest assured that I would be the very first to step down if I thought I was betraying any confidences. However, since I have the same incredible number of "inside contacts" as you do (which I assume is none), then I am not in the slightest bit of danger.

Finally, I would ask that you respect my right to have an opinion. The VCA demands a lot from it's regional presidents and they get nothing in return. There is no pay, no benefits, no nothing besides a chance to get a cool plaque on stage at VOI. Many of us put an extraordinary amount of time into not only the VCA, but into the Viper community as a whole. I try to post constructive comments and suggestions here, although some can get the best of me at times. I also have my very own opinions that I like to share on occasion. I hope you will respect my right to post them.

Chris
Being any kind of elected official has it's ups and downs. It's not that you no longer have a right to an opinion, but you have to be doubly careful with what you say. You might not have a direct inside connection, but it's not a far stretch to assume that the leadership does. A caveat like, "I have no inside information, but..." would make a world of difference to overzealous Viper fans... from time to time, that's ALL of us. The nudge nudge wink wink needs to stop.

Things really do need to tone down here. This whole z06 nonsense is tearing the club apart. We can't beat it, so we fight among ourselves? There's got to be a more constructive way to use our energies. I hope the leadership takes the initiative to settle down the masses. Arrange a Viper day at a children's hospital or the VA, or challenge the vette boys nationwide to a friendly softball game... activities that bring us together, not incite the kind of childish tantrums we've seen here these last few months. We're ALL guilty of it. Who wants to be a part of this kind of mayhem if they were to come into this site for the first time?

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thyanks Warfang, Truth is car owners hate it when their car becomes obsolete

I know that feeling... I got one too, you know? :smirk:

As the great philosopher King once pondered: "Can't we all just.... get along?" :D

OP
OP
W

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sooooooooooo is anyone planning on waiting :D

that is still buying one but looking to save some serious cash. :2tu:

my intent in the post was to save money if your going to buy one, not to bash
the new coupe or srt. i have alot of passion for the viper and think great
change's are coming. will the gen IV be better then the gen III (YEP), was
the gen III better then the gen I / II (yep). i think we all agree the performance
in the srt was much improved over the gen I/II, the new body style seems to cause
the arguments here. some like it some dont, big deal however why anyone feels
the need to bash anothers car here is beyond me, ITS JUST BAD CARMA!!!

the vca and events that we attend are second to none, we have a terriffic car
club, LETS KEEP IT THAT WAY :2tu:

tom

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeah, after what I have heard before SEMA and the reactions/comments I got at SEMA, I'm going to wait. Originally, I was going to pick up a new SRT-10 'vert to go with my GTS, but now about the only way I'll get a gen III is if I find a great deal on a forced induction car.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Remember Don Knott told us to "save some coins"-

Read between the lines.

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i highly doubt a new body design. maybe a freshen up.

i quote myself from 3 pages ago :D . i dont know why everyone thinks the genIV is going to be a whole new body style. first of all they just spent alot of money introducing the new coupe so why would they waste that money and make something totally different :confused: . second of all some people say that there going to make the firepower with the genIV. BUT the firepower is BASED on the gen 3.so why would they have two brand new cars one based on the new platform and one placed on the old one :confused: . so this means that the gen IV will likly be just a freshen up with more HP and an ACR model to go with it. i think these genIVs will come out in 08 so that theres more than just one year of the gen3 coupes.

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thyanks Warfang, Truth is car owners hate it when their car becomes obsolete

I know that feeling... I got one too, you know? :smirk:

As the great philosopher King once pondered: "Can't we all just.... get along?" :D

I don't see the earlier generations as "obsolete" any more than I see a 66 Corvette "obsolete" just because a 2006 Z06 is the best thing ever in a Vette.
I know Corvette guys (I'm one of them) who prefer the C5 over the C6 Vette, and wouldn't own a Z06 because you can't take off the top.

Same with the Viper. In some ways, my 96 was far "classier" insofar as there will never again be as expensive a clamshell front hood as the GenI 1.5 and II, nor as expressive a set of curves. I like the relative sophistication of having a top with me (and not top and windows in the garage), as well as the better brakes of the SRT-10, but I certainly don't find the earlier generation to be "obsolete"

And if I could have a dozen cars, I'd have Vettes, and Ferraris, and Vipers, and Gallardos, and GTs parked next to Range Rovers, and Hemi 300Cs, and so on, and I'd pick the one I like for the job at hand, and never worry about who liked what or what marque was/is the "best".

As it is, having the RR Sport for bad weather, dirt and snow, and the SRT-10 for every day the sun shines, is better than I would have ever believed, but certainly isn't a different feeling than the days of my MGBs or TR4s, or Austin Americans, or 66 Mustang Convertible, or Datsun 1600s,and so on. Open air sporty cars are wonderful, just about whatever marque, or variation of a marque you own.

And to have a true American car, the Corvette, be as good as the new Z06 is, should be a point of pride for us Viper owners, particularly sinced Daimler Chrysler now makes our owner primarily a German company. It's great to have a world class All American sports car that we can be proud of. And it's even better to have a Viper. :usa: :2tu: :2tu: :laugh:

Keith C

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Yeah, after what I have heard before SEMA and the reactions/comments I got at SEMA, I'm going to wait. Originally, I was going to pick up a new SRT-10 'vert to go with my GTS, but now about the only way I'll get a gen III is if I find a great deal on a forced induction car.

Wanted,

I saw the coupe at the New York auto show an had to have one. I had a deposit on a coupe with Bill P. before pricing was released. I expected to pay around 80 for the car. As you know sticker is $91,990. At the same time vert pricing started to drop. Then I started to learn about Paxton + 10 motons +5 Corsa +2 and my $80,000 Viper was going to be about $115,000 when done. Way out of my league and vert pricing continued to drop. Then Bill P. got a 5 month old Copperhead with everything and within my original budget. I still cannot believe how I ended up with such a beast. My point... nothing wrong with your post. Now is a great time to buy a vert or wait for coupe prices to drop. We are in the middle of a horsepower war. Competition drives down prices, creates cars like the Ford GT, Z06, 560HP Viper? and the consumer comes out on top.

Keith

P.S. Woodhouse Rocks !!!

Sonny 00 GTS ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The arguement on this topic seems to be centered entirely on personal opinions. I think a lot of you are missing the point. Like it or not, give credit to DC for at least producing a coupe. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

VipeRicK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hold on a minute and just think about this !If DC took all of the recomendations that have been posted here, what the hell would they have to produce to satisfy all of you.
When they got done, half of you would still be dissatified with the car they came up with because some would like the way it looked and some wouldn't. Sometimes you just have to accept what is because nothing in this life is perfect, if you don't believe me just look in the mirror, anybody see a Brad Pitt. I don't think so. Be happy with what you have , life is more enjoyable that way, especially when you already own a great car like the Viper (any year).

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you can never make everyone happy 100% of the time. People here need to just relax and give DC some time to come with a response. What's done is done. Z06 will reign for a bit, and there's nothing we can do to reverse that. Let's hope it's not for too long.