I'm seriously getting sick of Vipers being looked down on. Sick of it.

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, some of the guys on the Audi forum are real tools. I hate when people bash the car but it is whatever... most are ignorant morons anyways.

VIPERBARON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Different strokes for different folks. I feel sorry for people who think that "quality" and "upscale" has to be equated to foreign flavor. Perhaps these people are the ones who like the "European" round-abouts instead of traditional intersections in their neighborhoods too? Whatever.
I drive American cars. They are exactly what I like. And they hold their own against foreign cars just fine. These cars are as much a work of art as they are technological terrors. **** exotics and muscle cars all. What we drive can be considered an extension of our personality (as much as our budget). People in expensive, over-rated and unreliable foreign cars may be viewed as socially insecure when compared to vivacious American sports car owners. To each their own I say, now get the hell out of my way.:drive:

If "they" continue with vocally disparaging remarks, simply ask "Why? Are you Jealous?"

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For most folks a viper will always be the elephant in the room because despite the car's outstanding performance and good looks the press favors high dollar and high volume cars with lofty advertising budgets. People drink the media koolaid then feel like the car must be crap if its not on every magazine cover or in every comparo.

latamud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure most people who talk trash about the Viper have never sat in one. I hated driving the Viper in video games (Gran Tourismo etc) because the steering was so touchy the car would spin around so easy. I wouldn't be surprised if that is where some haters get their anti-Viper information.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've never had one negative comment about my Viper. They are extremely rare around where I live anyway. I always get the thumbs up! :2tu:

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Viper is for me. It is not for anyone else. I bought it for a good price and it has served its duty as a fun hobby car.

After redoing my rear shocks and replacing a fried driver's side power window I took my 98 GTS (solid silver) out of its summer hibernation (here in the desert our Viper seasons are backwards from you folks up north) and was reminded that I am just sick and tired of the disrespect my car gets from the world. In car crazy "upscale" Scottsdale it is just another "not a Ferrari or Lamborhini," women at work make fun of it, car enthusiasts online absolutely pummel it with hatred (going on and on about how the ubiquitous Corvette Z06 and ZR1 are SO much better), and don't even get me started on the disrespect shown to Vipers by the motoring press.

Once in awhile I dream of living where some of you live - where people think Vipers are cool - but then I get in MY car and DRIVE and I forget about all the haters. Just remember haters, it is MY car and it is for ME, not you.

Do you have a picture of your car? I'm curious to see it.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure most people who talk trash about the Viper have never sat in one. I hated driving the Viper in video games (Gran Tourismo etc) because the steering was so touchy the car would spin around so easy. I wouldn't be surprised if that is where some haters get their anti-Viper information.

i'll bet you are right about the never sat in one and the video game speculation too. i'm always surprised how much info about guns, cars, ..... young 'uns have comes from video games

OP
OP
PhoenixGTS

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny to see this old thread come back to life! I sold my Viper back in January 2011 so I'm not getting looked down upon here in snobby Scottsdale any longer, but folks I know on the internet still rag on me just because I USED to have a Viper - go figure. After 6.5 years of Viper ownership I have to say a Viper is what it is: one badazz machine designed and built by hand in the USofA by Americans. I'll take that.

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny to see this old thread come back to life! I sold my Viper back in January 2011 so I'm not getting looked down upon here in snobby Scottsdale any longer, but folks I know on the internet still rag on me just because I USED to have a Viper - go figure. After 6.5 years of Viper ownership I have to say a Viper is what it is: one badazz machine designed and built by hand in the USofA by Americans. I'll take that.

You had a great looking car...I loved the six spokes against the solid silver. What are you driving these days?

OP
OP
PhoenixGTS

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You had a great looking car...I loved the six spokes against the solid silver. What are you driving these days?

I'm still a Mopar guy - I drive a 2006 SRT-8 Jeep. Here is a picture of my old car for Frog:

You must be registered for see images attach

I'm kind of hoping the new owner takes those wheels to black as I was never a big fan of shiney next to silver.

OP
OP
PhoenixGTS

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember that you said you weren't a fan of the bling....didn't it have a few darker orange accents too?

The previous wheels where 1999-2002 OEMs painted to match the car with a little orange and grey graphic that coordinated with the windshield banner:

You must be registered for see images attach

I ended up coating those wheels black and selling them with the TOYO 888 in place (awesome tires by the way).

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've never been bashed in my Viper. People are always coming up to the car with compliments. Either way, I could care less what some ********** think. The car is sweet all day long.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We had 5 Vipers that just happened to show up at a Vintage Cruise last night... 3 GTSs and 2 RT/10s. One guy approached us and asked " So are these things really as squirrelly as everyone says they are ? " This was at least the 3rd or 4th time somebody hit me with this. I gave him my defacto reply... "The car has no nannies so the Driver actually has to know how to drive the car." Then I gave him a brief history on LeMans, FIA, Nurburgring etc... and just like the 3 or 4 guys before him he hung is head a bit and made a quick exit. I know that I can't convince a Hater or a Camaro or Corvette or Mustang Fan Boy to like the car but it's fun to take them to school a bit.

By the same token most folks were either in awe or made favorable comments... "OMG look at these Vipers...I'm a complete Viper nut and hope to have one some day... I picked the right night to come" for instance.

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just tell him fast/powerful cars lose traction and walk away.

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Move here in Michigan. Most people think its a Ferrari, or Lambo, and the others that actually know what it is praise it because it was built here! But then again there are NO jobs here so its a good place to retire now.

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry for any negative experience you may have encountered.

I am in Newport Beach (work) and Huntington Beach (home) near the SoCal coast all the time. You would be hard-pressed to find an area with more Ferraris, Lambos, Veyrons, Audi R8s, FGTs and anything else you can think of. That said, people generally go crazy over my GTS Blue/Silver Stripes, Blk/Gry Int. '08 Coupe with HREs. The want to have a photo with it, they take photos when I am driving down PCH, etc. When I was at a light and a Ferrari was also at the light (355 I think) yesterday, I had one group of guys and gals hang a handful of dollars out the window and give the Viper "thumbs up" and the Ferrari "thumbs down." Similarly, at the track (road courses) the Viper is very well received. No M3 drivers come up and smack talk. The ACRs just CRUSH most everything at the track. I let my buddy who has a Turbo Porsche drive the car once back in the canyons and he was very impressed; he is also afraid to take his car anywhere other than to Cheescake Factory or Starbucks.. Honestly, about the only group that I have found to be somewhat resistant are the Porsche GT3 drivers who believe that the GT3 is the only car to have (a good car to be sure, but not the only car). Btw, my daily drivers have always been BMWs. I love them but this does not mean that I cannot also love my Snake! I did not check the Audi gripes, but honestly, other than the V10 R8, they have no sportscars to speak of--just nice A--B appliances. So enjoy your Viper proudly! Btw, I did undergrad at ASU and was a tennis pro during school at Paradise Valley Country Club. I thought that the people were very nice in AZ in general and in Phoenix, Tempe and Scottesdaly in particilar.