I'm whinning

VIPR GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I\'m whinning

I changed to the 3:55 gears about 4500 miles ago and now in 5th and 6th gear I am getting a whinnying noise. Dodge checked it out and thinks that the lash is wrong. When we installed the gears the lash was right on, could the aluminum case allow the dimensions to change from the heat cycles? And lastly, other than the noise, not terrible but noticeable to me, is there any danger to the rear end if I just leave it alone.
Thanks for any input you guys may have
Tony

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: I\'m whinning

Talk with Jerry at UNITRAX,the heavy duty half shaft people.They stock everything for the viper in driveline components.I think he gives VCA member discounts.

GONABITE

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Did you break the rear in? The bearings have a preload and the car needs to be driven for a short period of time at low speed not exceeding say 60 at least twice letting the rear cool down in between. Whining is generally a sign of the lash being to tight. Good luck.

OP
OP
V

VIPR GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I drove the car about 10 miles after the instal, just through town, it sat for a couple of days before I took it out again. I notice some drive line clunking, as in slack in the rear end if you shift slowly and let the torque unload. I am presuming the lash is too loose. I am going to pull it out and have it checked and re-shimmed I guess.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc