Imo to be 100% the 13 srt viper needs a more masculine grille

als 08 viper acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Overall I think the car is great but to me the FRONT VIEW OF A VIPER NEEDS TO LOOK MORE MEAN. When I look at the front of a Muscle car/Viper I want it to look "BAD A***. It was that way on previous models. I am not sure why that changed it on this model. Maybe they are trying to look like a Ferrari or a Masarati from the front but to me it an American Sports/Muscle car & it needs to look like one. My old 08 Viper ACR had that "look" & so does my 2012 Camaro ZL1 & my 2013 Shelby GT500. The 13 Shelby does not have any Grille at all & it looks fine. Maybe a simple Bar Grille with SRT it large letters would be OK. If they want it to look like a Ferrari Or Masarati to appeal to those prospective customers, leave it on the GTS Model but revise it on the SRT Model.

This may be hard to believe, but I would rather see the Grille revised than all the interior upgrades. I purchase this car For the Engine & Appearance & not for the upgraded interior.

HOPEFULLY BY THE TIME WHEN THE GEN V ACR VERSION IS REVEALED THE GRILLE WILL BE REVISED.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There have been several photoshops where with a little paint the grill can have lots of different personalities.

This is the first grill for SRT. They were well along with the Dodge crosshairs, and have modified the new grill to reduce that impact.

This grill was mainly developed as a functional unit with every opening having a specific aero or cooling function. With the additional power generated by the more powerful engine they needed to focus first on cooling for brakes, engine and downforce.

Many would not be happy if they reduced these functions to provide a meaner grill. (Which I also would like)

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I prefer the Gen IV front end look also. I think the Gen V would look better if the headlights were more horizontal instead of vertical but then would the headlights not work as good? That could be a functionality thing like Paul mentioned. Again, I'd be willing to accept the tradeoff for something that functioned better.

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I REALLY wish I could have taken pics of those drawings of the gen V design before it was put into clay. The silver painted clay car with the gen II style/Viper Defender headlights had such an awesome front end. I loved the integrated non-adjustable splitter struts that came down to the front, made the car looked like it had fangs and the grille looked so much better.

It's also really hard to photograph the front grille while focusing on the color of the car. For the most part the crosshairs just fade into the black. What I don't get is that if the rear end is going to be painted body color, how come the cross hairs won't?

Overall the gen V reminds me of this...

You must be registered for see images attach

--RS

OP
OP
A

als 08 viper acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There have been several photoshops where with a little paint the grill can have lots of different personalities.

This is the first grill for SRT. They were well along with the Dodge crosshairs, and have modified the new grill to reduce that impact.

This grill was mainly developed as a functional unit with every opening having a specific aero or cooling function. With the additional power generated by the more powerful engine they needed to focus first on cooling for brakes, engine and downforce.

Many would not be happy if they reduced these functions to provide a meaner grill. (Which I also would like)

Has anyone photoshoped what it would look like with No Grille like the 2013 Gt500 or would that not direct the air to the areas SRT wanted.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I think it needs testicles. And some hair here and there. Then I'll really like it.

Seriously, the grill is a departure from the usual Dodge Ram truck-style crosshairs. That simple "cross" was getting to be a tired design cue.

Pictures of the front end of the Gen 5 don't look as good to me, as seeing the car in person at the Barret Jackson auction in Orange County a few months ago. When you look at a two-dimensional picture, you perceive the looks of the car one way- But when you see it in person, in three dimensions, at your eye height, your perception is different. At least mine was. The grill didn't stand out to me at all. Instead, my eye was taken away by the overall flow of the body lines.

Now if you've seen it in person, and you still don't like it, well, I dunno what to tell you. It's not for everybody. But then, what Viper ever appealed to everyone? :)

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Overall I think the car is great but to me the FRONT VIEW OF A VIPER NEEDS TO LOOK MORE MEAN. When I look at the front of a Muscle car/Viper I want it to look "BAD A***. It was that way on previous models. I am not sure why that changed it on this model. Maybe they are trying to look like a Ferrari or a Masarati from the front but to me it an American Sports/Muscle car & it needs to look like one. My old 08 Viper ACR had that "look" & so does my 2012 Camaro ZL1 & my 2013 Shelby GT500. The 13 Shelby does not have any Grille at all & it looks fine. Maybe a simple Bar Grille with SRT it large letters would be OK. If they want it to look like a Ferrari Or Masarati to appeal to those prospective customers, leave it on the GTS Model but revise it on the SRT Model.

This may be hard to believe, but I would rather see the Grille revised than all the interior upgrades. I purchase this car For the Engine & Appearance & not for the upgraded interior.

HOPEFULLY BY THE TIME WHEN THE GEN V ACR VERSION IS REVEALED THE GRILLE WILL BE REVISED.

All I can say is that you can't please everyone, and thank god the new car doesn't have a hideous front end like the ZL-1 CAMARO or SHELBY MUSTANG. The front ends of those two cars are exactly why I love the Challenger. A clean beautiful front end, but that's my opinion just like you have yours. I will admit this, at VOI they had the GTS (Gen II) concept, the Laguna Seca Edition ACR, the Gen V launch edition and a Gen I car. As much as I like the Gen V, overall it's amazing, I still couldn't take my eyes off of that Gen II concept.............

Last edited:

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's always a facial expression that's for sure.. the fascia / grille on the Gen V is doing a bit of #4..

Personally I think an excessively mean look is a bit tacky for those types of guys who drive with their hand on top of the steering wheel and flex their triceps at stop lights, etc.. A bit of an aggressive look is cool, but not to over do it..

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've posted this in another thread, but it is worth repeating.

IMHO, the decision to make the Viper a SRT product instead of a Dodge product came late in the styling development cycle. The easiest and least expensive way to change a grill already styled for a Dodge Viper into a grill styled for a SRT Viper was to "black out" the Dodge style elements. What we have is a grill intended for a Dodge Viper, made into a grill usable by a SRT Viper by painting the cross elements in black to make them "disappear."

I would rather see a plain mesh grill like that on the air intake opening that feeds the engine. Black mesh with a Viper medallion in the center.

Maybe the Mopar boys will offer an aftermarket grill in that style?:2tu:

Edited later: Mark Jorgensen reports that Ralph stated the grill was intended to pay homage to Vipers of the past. I would still rather see a plain mesh grill like that on the air intake opening that feeds the engine. Black mesh with a Viper medallion in the center.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

als 08 viper acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All I can say is that you can't please everyone, and thank god the new car doesn't have a hideous front end like the ZL-1 CAMARO or SHELBY MUSTANG. The front ends of those two cars are exactly why I love the Challenger. A clean beautiful front end, but that's my opinion just like you have yours. I will admit this, at VOI they had the GTS (Gen II) concept, the Laguna Seca Edition ACR, the Gen V launch edition and a Gen I car. As much as I like the Gen V, overall it's amazing, I still couldn't take my eyes off of that Gen II concept.............

Your problem is you are not a CAR GUY LIKE ME, BUT ONLY A Blind Sided MOPAR GUY. You really should appreciate all American Muscle cars. I realize that this is a Viper site, but anyone that bashes the ZL1 with 580 HP & the 2013 GT500 with 662HP is just a MOPAR GUY. The Challenger SRT8 has only 470HP so no matter how great the front is (I like the front also) I would still choose a ZL1 or a 13 GT500 over it & of course that's what I did. As a "CAR GUY" I have a car from each of the American auto makers, Dodge, Ford & Chevy. To repeat, the ZL1 Camaro & the 13 GT500 have Aggressive Front Views & I would think that your opinion is in the minority among TRUE "CAR GUYS"

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Now this is what I thought It was giopng to look like. Front end looks better as does the rest of the car...IMO

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
In my supremely-tasteful, and oh-so-important personal opinion, (which I will grace these pages with in my inimitable, magnanimous style, at no charge to the readers)

I'm glad the Gen 5 does not look like the Volado concept. I think that rendering is too much "study-hall" doodling, pubescent dreaming.

You know what they say regarding opinions, they're like sphincters, we all have one. Now you've seen mine.

No need to thank me, you're welcome.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your problem is you are not a CAR GUY LIKE ME, BUT ONLY A Blind Sided MOPAR GUY. You really should appreciate all American Muscle cars. I realize that this is a Viper site, but anyone that bashes the ZL1 with 580 HP & the 2013 GT500 with 662HP is just a MOPAR GUY. The Challenger SRT8 has only 470HP so no matter how great the front is (I like the front also) I would still choose a ZL1 or a 13 GT500 over it & of course that's what I did. As a "CAR GUY" I have a car from each of the American auto makers, Dodge, Ford & Chevy. To repeat, the ZL1 Camaro & the 13 GT500 have Aggressive Front Views & I would think that your opinion is in the minority among TRUE "CAR GUYS"

Clearly I hurt your feelings, because your arguing a point that I never made.I NEVER said that the Shelby or the Camaro were not great performers. In fact if youv'e read any of my past posts you'd see that I think Ford knocked it out of the park with the new Shelby as a package. Other than owning the Viper, I've always had Corvettes and Camaro's as well as a GTO, so the Mopar comment is silly. Again if you'd read any of my past posts you'd know that I'm a consumate gearhead and love American Muscle. If being a carguy means that the Viper should have a Cheesy plastic snorkel nose grill like the Mustang, or that transformers looking hood and front end on the ZL-1 than your right, I'm not your definition of a True car guy. Listen I love these cars, but the first mistake your making is compaing the front of a Muscle car to a sports car. Vettes never looked like Camaro's and thankfully the baddest car of all time (IMHO) the Ford GT does not look like a Mustang. I get it, you don't as it seems many don't, like the Viper front end.

Yes as usual I agree with Vic on his thoughts, that Volado concept is beyond aweful.

Last edited:

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So here is the GEN II concept car at VOI 12...................

When you realize that this car was designed some 17-18 years ago, it still hits it out of the ballpark! It's Iconic.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score

When you realize that this car was designed some 17-18 years ago, it still hits it out of the ballpark! It's Iconic.

That is interesting. After doing my recent headlight mod take a look at the projectors in this concept. The drivers side is what we have now, the passenger side looks like an actual HID projector. Definitely look different to me.

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'll second that...........:headbang:

elanderholm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got up close and personal with the car last night. It looks great to me, no complaints. The LEDs look nice. The car looks more refined in all aspects when compared to my acr. It was kind of dark, but to me the front and hood (both versions) look good to me. Very solid effort and no one would ever mistake it for anything but a viper.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, because I love the new grille. The Gen V Viper is the most beautiful design I have ever seen, inside and out, from any country, at any price. I will put its tough good looks up against any super car, Ferrari or Lamborghini. That is my opinion, I would not change a thing. And I don't know if I've ever felt that way about any other car.

ferraritoviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not an agressive enough grille? Where do these threads come from??? Gotta be Alaska or the Chinese Politburo where boredom and typing go hand in hand :) As for the grille, I think it is the most aggressive and free flowing yet.

My 09 grille was cool, but if I was to get into the minutiae, I'd say it was so yesterday (like the 'wingy thingy', unless you're are a 'real tracker', especially of new cars) compared to today, along with the lower lip curiously drooping, but I'd wouldn't be waving the bom boms over yesterdays grille. I'm moving forward.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, because I love the new grille. The Gen V Viper is the most beautiful design I have ever seen, inside and out, from any country, at any price. I will put its tough good looks up against any super car, Ferrari or Lamborghini. That is my opinion, I would not change a thing. And I don't know if I've ever felt that way about any other car.

You're getting a little carried away.

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those of you who have problems with the way the front end looks, take it up with the laws of physics. Wind tunnel data and CFD have a huge impact in how something will look on an SRT vehicle. It looks the way it does because that's the design that works best and meets the specific requirements SRT has set for this vehicle. If you want a strikingly gorgeous car that prides form over function, buy an Alfa.

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not an agressive enough grille? Where do these threads come from??? Gotta be Alaska or the Chinese Politburo where boredom and typing go hand in hand :) As for the grille, I think it is the most aggressive and free flowing yet.

My 09 grille was cool, but if I was to get into the minutiae, I'd say it was so yesterday (like the 'wingy thingy', unless you're are a 'real tracker', especially of new cars) compared to today, along with the lower lip curiously drooping, but I'd wouldn't be waving the bom boms over yesterdays grille. I'm moving forward.

Completely agree. Put the GenV and the Gen4 next to each other. One looks fresh, modern, mean while the other simply looks a bit dated. When I say this, do it in person because pics do not tell the whole story. Just an opinion.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456