Imploding Windows?!?!

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a quick way to figure out when my '08 was built? I've been starting to worry about it, and almost cringe each time I open the door to go in the garage to see what I might find.

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a quick way to figure out when my '08 was built? I've been starting to worry about it, and almost cringe each time I open the door to go in the garage to see what I might find.

You worry too much....only a slim chance of this happening, and I'm not too sure the build date is going to help you much. Problem occurred in both 2008 and 2009 model years. SRT engineer said defective glass.Check the sticker on the driver's door---build date is there. BTW my GTS Blue 2008 was built in Nov. 2007, with no glass problems.

Bill

ryan9764

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Was just cleaning the windows on my VOI9 Coupe. I was using only water on a micro fibre coth. Just doing the passengers side window (i had cleaned the drivers side about 2 min prior) and boom the drivers side window implodes. It was around 60 degrees here today. Scared the you know what outta me. Wife keeps saying it was a ghost. lol. Glad i wasn't driving.

Chelseasnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that would be a good question for the srt chat next week. one of these days someone will be driving and boom. glass in the eyes. then mabey dodge, i mean srt might look into it more seriously.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that would be a good question for the srt chat next week. one of these days someone will be driving and boom. glass in the eyes. then mabey dodge, i mean srt might look into it more seriously.

I was thinking the same thing and will add this thread to that SRT Thread.

Bruce

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
+1 on the Windows!

My passenger side window just shattered while the car was parked and the windows we each open about 1 inch.

My car is 2008 and I have an extended warranty so I will be speaking with the dealer tomorrow... .

Glad it was parked!

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK what the hell is going on here???? So your windows were both down 1 inch? So the whole window blows because of the up pressure is def not the problem! Im really worried about this crap what is wrong with vipers and their windows/regulators??? Dodge/SRT needs to investigate this crap right now and fix these problems.

Chelseasnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dodge thinks the problem will go away. it will go away when there is no more vipers left on the road.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From all the evidence it appears to be two problems, one with regulators and another with actual defective window glass that might shatter regardless of conditions or window placement.

I feel that these are two different issues and that they may not even be related.

I think that most people understand that sometime $hit happens, it's how the issue is resolved that really matters and gains brand loyalty.

Even for cars out of warranty, Dodge should step up to the plate when either well documented issue is brought to their attention.

George

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My situation is unlikely related to a window regulator or tension. I had driven from a viper event in Riverside at K&N to our friends' house in Palm Springs. It was about 93F. We cracked each windown about 1-1.5" to keep things ventilated, exited the car and went inside the house for a tour. There were video cameras recording the area as part of the home security. We came out to get our bags and saw the shattered window on the passenger side and the video did not show any intruder, etc. (motion activated). No evidence of impact and no history of the window hesitating or having issue with indexing. Just bizzare!

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been following this topic for a while now. These are really fd up situations. Chrysler/SRT has to know *** is up with this. It is obviously not an isolated case.

Lespauldude

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have been following this topic for a while now. These are really fd up situations. Chrysler/SRT has to know *** is up with this. It is obviously not an isolated case.

Once again, it's a question of Dodge stepping up and taking ownership of these obvious (and not so infrequent) issues.....................

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After the Dealer gave me some blow-back today on the window, I called Dodge and opened a Case. I offered to send this thread and my photos to them. They will contact me tomorrow... .:usa:

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Props to Dodge for stepping up to handle this matter! Dodge took care of the window replacement, subject to a $100 deductable. Still not as good as no imploding window, but much better than it could have been!

RCC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My drivers window shattered yesterday as I was cruising down the freeway. Scared the crap out of me when it happened. My car is a 2008 Coupe. I've already got another one on order but am really curious to know why it happened and if my max-care warranty will pay for it.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My drivers window shattered yesterday as I was cruising down the freeway. Scared the crap out of me when it happened. My car is a 2008 Coupe. I've already got another one on order but am really curious to know why it happened and if my max-care warranty will pay for it.

Holy crap RC! Glad you're alright man.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Psych <---------proper spelling

Epic fail.... :rolaugh:

"Sike" is the proper street way of mispelling it...
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sike

Definition: The immediately preceding statement is false and was told to mislead.
Proper use: I really miss that show Blossom ... SIKE!

P.S. Everyone knows only GEN1's and GEN2's are real Vipers. Everything else needed more HP to cover over their other shortcomings.
i.e. Exploding Windows :lmao:

Last edited:

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds to me like nobody would be talking about the regulators except for the failure of the glass.
Good glass with the regulators might be a story but no one is talking about. :dunno:

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Epic fail.... :rolaugh:

"Sike" is the proper street way of mispelling it...
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sike

Definition: The immediately preceding statement is false and was told to mislead.
Proper use: I really miss that show Blossom ... SIKE!

P.S. Everyone knows only GEN1's and GEN2's are real Vipers. Everything else needed more HP to cover over their other shortcomings.
i.e. Exploding Windows :lmao:

Excellent...you go girl:lmao:

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sounds to me like Dodge needs to step up, figure this out and start replacing window motors/door modules.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score

RC, Dodge is aware of the issue. I contacted Bernie when mine imploded and sent him the same pictures I posted here. Within a couple of days, my car was at Tomball, and Morgan was replacing the window under warranty. He also adjusted the regulator's on both windows.

Glad your ok.

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, which dealership did you go to?

First went to OC Dodge and was not warm and fuzzy so I called Dodge to open a case and then went to HB Dodge. HB Dodge looks to be making some good changes so I may try them for a bit. OC Dodge was ok in the past and is also making some changes.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wow, you just got me thinking. What if you're doing a standing mile event and you're approaching 190 mph and the window blows out.... besides scaring the hell out of you, could the sudden change in aerodynamics make the car unstable?? Sounds like it could be a very dangerous situation. If traveling at a high rate of speed and the window shatters, does it blow outward or inward? If it blows inwards at high speeds it may have energy behind it that the pieces could puncture your face and or eyes. That's a damn scary thought at those speeds.

George

RCC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow, you just got me thinking. What if you're doing a standing mile event and you're approaching 190 mph and the window blows out.... besides scaring the hell out of you, could the sudden change in aerodynamics make the car unstable?? Sounds like it could be a very dangerous situation. If traveling at a high rate of speed and the window shatters, does it blow outward or inward? If it blows inwards at high speeds it may have energy behind it that the pieces could puncture your face and or eyes. That's a damn scary thought at those speeds.

George

I was traveling at decent rate of speed, the window shatttered( sounding like a shotgun) and blew out landing in the freeway.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R