Increase Rev Limiter or not? If yes, to what point

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I got all the possible bolts on the car: Headers, HiFlo Cats, 3" Corsa, XMetal TB, AB Wires, K&N Intake, Fidanza FlyWheel, SCT. I am hoping to break the 500RWHP with those bolts on. However, the question is with these bolts on and hopefully slightly over 500RWHP what is the safe number to bump up the RevLimiter to? I plan to do the custom SCT tunning on the Dyno to pump as much HP as possible, it would be a good time to do the Rev increase at the same time.

So what do people increase RevLimiter to? How safe is it? Do you take your car to the redline often with the new RevLimiter?

I do take car to the track from time to time and certainly take it to the RevLimit during track sessions as well as sometimes on the street when I play with other cars :). So considering the aggressive driving I do, is it still safe to bump up the RevLimiter?

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I shy away from messing with the rev limiter - they put those limits in place for a reason, and unless you've done a really good balance job to the engine, decreased the rotating mass items, and installed a better valve-train, you could be asking for problems. The forces on those engine parts go up exponentially with engine speed, so just a little increase in RPMs at the top end can really increase forces a lot. I've got the bent pushrods to show for it :) Fortunately those are the weak links and if something's got to go, I'd rather lose those than a connecting rod.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would NOT mess with the rev. limiter. Plus max hp and torque curves are usually just below the factory limit anyway.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know people who have done it and having the extra few hundred rpms made the differenced when racing. I would have to shift and the other car with the high rev limit was able to pull away because he could stay in the lower gear longer.

I agree with Martin though, unless you upgrade the other components in the motor I would leave the limit where it is.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless you have a larger cam and increased intake capacity why in the world would you want to screw with the rev limiter (car will not make any more power above 6k anyway.)

dipapa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont think the stock valve springs or our large pistons will be happy moving that quickly. I think you need at least a premium head assembly to even consider this. Even with thhe heads maybe 200-300 rpm increase the most, and i would almost entirely use that as padding for 6K rpm racing.

If your tracking the car you should consider upgrading the gen3 oiling system to safeguard your motor which i think would allow you to hold higher rpm safely for longer duration.

Which brings up the question of whats the best oil to use?

Last edited:

FEDBYVORTECH

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Rev limiter? That sounds like a nanny. I would rip that sucker out. Go old school when you feel the power drop off shift.

VENOMIS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry to tell you, but your mods will not net you 500 rwhp. I have all your mods plus 708 cam and roller rockers on my 02 and am at 461 rwhp and 499 rwtq. Opps i dont have throttle body, but its general concensus (if i spelled righ)that a lrger throttle bodys on stock or basically stock will slow you down

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The mopar PCM on Gen IV applications raises the bar two hundred RPMs......conventional though from what I have been told by tuners is that two hundred over provides for acceptable tolerance....

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to tell you, but your mods will not net you 500 rwhp. I have all your mods plus 708 cam and roller rockers on my 02 and am at 461 rwhp and 499 rwtq. Opps i dont have throttle body, but its general concensus (if i spelled righ)that a lrger throttle bodys on stock or basically stock will slow you down

are you talking about gen2 or gen3????

he has a gen3 and I hit 459 rwhp sae on a dyno jet with just roller rockers and kn filter...

plenty have hit 500 plus on gen3's with bolt ons...

If your talking about gen2's though..the max is 480ish while the max for the gen3's is 520ish..

You gotta remember these gen3's dyno 440-460 rwhp bone stock

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I got all the possible bolts on the car: Headers, HiFlo Cats, 3" Corsa, XMetal TB, AB Wires, K&N Intake, Fidanza FlyWheel, SCT. I am hoping to break the 500RWHP with those bolts on. However, the question is with these bolts on and hopefully slightly over 500RWHP what is the safe number to bump up the RevLimiter to? I plan to do the custom SCT tunning on the Dyno to pump as much HP as possible, it would be a good time to do the Rev increase at the same time.

So what do people increase RevLimiter to? How safe is it? Do you take your car to the redline often with the new RevLimiter?

I do take car to the track from time to time and certainly take it to the RevLimit during track sessions as well as sometimes on the street when I play with other cars :). So considering the aggressive driving I do, is it still safe to bump up the RevLimiter?

The Viper specialty raises your rev limiter to 6250 rpm's with the canned tune..

the ROE SCT raises your limiter to 6400 rpm's with the canned tune..

many many many people have these ( includeing myself) yet you here of no complaints with it being raised..

The benifit is actually HUGE!!!!

in the 1/4 mile in a srt10 between 119-121 mph in third gear you will require a 3rd to 4th shift..

Since you will trapp dead stock a 118-122 mph this means you will make that shift just before crossing the finish line or as you cross...A shift takes a lil time and thus reduces your et and mph slightly..

have that rpm limiter raised to the 6250 supplied by viper specialty and you will cross the trapps in third gear no problem on a stock vehicle...

Also important to remember is that the srt10 hits 58 mph in first gear...For referance a C6Z06 hits 62 mph in first gear...You ever wonder why some mags got 3.8 or 3.9 0-60 mph in srt10's and some got 4.1 ect??????

Well that shift before 58 mph requires some skill while the Z06 just has to keep his foot in it...

Have your limiter raised to 6250 rpm's and now you can EASILY get back 60 mph in first gear..

To a hard car stats ****** like me these things are very important and I know Dan at viper specialty would not put this into his generic tune unless he was 100% sure it was safe...

1. You can also do the underdrive pulley. Ive talked to 3 seperate people who said they had zero issues with Davies big brakes under drive pulley..

2. You can also do Arrow roller rockers..Again I dynoed 459 rwhp with these rockers and KN filters...So im guessing they are worth 8-12 rwhp

3. You go to a dynojet and youll be around 485-505 rwhp sae...Stay away from mustang dynos and wind dixies and all that other crap as the numbers will be lower..just find a traditional dyno jet

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
YELLOW DRM2..

My wife just gave me the Im disgusted with your obsession but get what you want nod..

Im adding a findanza light weight flywheel and under drive pulley to my car..

so with the current..intake/RR's/exhaust/no cats/sct tune and then light weight fly wheel and underdrive pulley I too am hopeing for plus 500 rwhp..

we gotta compare notes...The only thing I will need after that is the american raceing headers and throttle body

dipapa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
YELLOW DRM2..

My wife just gave me the Im disgusted with your obsession but get what you want nod..

so with the current..intake/RR's/exhaust/no cats/sct tune and then light weight fly wheel and underdrive pulley I too am hopeing for plus 500 rwhp..

we gotta compare notes...The only thing I will need after that is the american raceing headers and throttle body

if you are interested in making more power why would you do flywheel and pulleys before the AR headers, TB, and tune.

I have all those mods already and flywheel WONT add hp and not too many talk about pulleys and if your Interested in feeling "seat of pant" feel a bit more even the rear end gear would be better than a flywheel and pulleys.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I already have the sct tune..

My clutch is worn out and I can barely get into gear..So I figured that I might as well add the lightweight fly wheel..

the underdrive pulley is just cheap at only 225$..

Headers are more pricey..That will probally be my birthday gift

OP
OP
Y

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
YELLOW DRM2..

I will post results once I take car to DC Performance for the custom tune, hopefully in the next few weeks.
While Fidanza not adding any HP it actually helps the car to sprint through RPMs quiclier. Fidanza and MGW shifter should help me on the race track.

OP
OP
Y

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Leave the rev rimiter alone for this application.

Thanks Dan, I was going to run it by you anyway, since I will be taking car to your shop for the dyno tune :).
Dan, I hope to get to your shop in two weeks, I will call you in the next few days to set the date and time.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a light weight fly wheel on my gen2 and loved it..Car felt like it had 3.73 gears the way the rpm's climbed

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery