Install crossover on new tweeter & door speaker?

Clifton Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am going to be replacing both the tweeters and door speakers next weekend in my 02 RT/10. Looking at the wiring diagram, it looks like both the tweeter and door speaker have the same feed from the amp (tweeter is a simple splice off of the door speaker).

The speakers I ordered come with a separate "crossover" to feed the high frequencies to the tweeter and the lower frequencies to the woofer.

I would like some advice on whether or not I should install the crossover or simply connect the new speakers like the old ones.

I am a complete neophyte when it comes to stereos... any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks - Charles.

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe you HAVE to use the crossover. It will separate the high & lows & send them to the right spkr.

What kind of spkrs are they?

Andy

OP
OP
C

Clifton Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The speakers are Rockford Fosgates (FNX2614U).

I would have thought the existing speakers would require it but unless the wiring diagram is inaccurate both speakers are fed with the same feed without any sort of cross over.

Thoughts?

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is most likely a passive crossover in the OE setup. In the wiring diagram there might be a symbol that looks like this -||- which is a capacitor and is used as a high pass filter. It's usually placed before the tweeters and after the wire split.

OP
OP
C

Clifton Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You're right. There is a capacitor on the lead immediately before the tweeter.

I guess I should delete the capacitor and install the crossover?

The crossover also has overload protection in it (although little risk of that happening with the OEM Alpine AMP :D ).

Thx

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Install crossover on new tweeter & door speaker?

Run the single wire from the head unit into the input on the x-over. Run 2 new wires from the x-over to the speakers (one each to the tweeter and mid-bass).

Make sure you mount the x-over in a spot you can get the door panel back on. I had to mount mine all the way across the door towards the outer door jamb.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Charles,

You do need to use the cross over since the amp is sending a full range signal through the wires you will eventually burn out your tweeter if you don't filter out the low range frequencies. The midrange is not as sensitive but will sound better if you use the crossover. Besides the crossovers that come with the speakers are usually optomized to work with the components so they need to be used together.

So what are you doing for your low end? Subwoofer in the passenger footwell?

OP
OP
C

Clifton Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score

So what are you doing for your low end? Subwoofer in the passenger footwell?

Don't know yet. I want to see if switching out the paper speakers in the doors makes a noticeable difference (with the roof off at commuting speeds).

If it improves, I'll probably swap out the amp, head unit and the woofer. My better half is not crazy about eating up the footwell area so I was thinking of a bazooka/tube-style woofer immediately in front of the passenger seat (kind of where alot of people place extinguishers).

I'd love to find a solution where I can still use the existing woofer location without building a custom enclosure.

Thanks for the advice.

Viperbass

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I installed Boston Acoustic Pro's in both doors with separate crossovers for each door. It does make a difference, but you may have to attenuate the tweeter due to the axis it is on as it can sound a bit harsh with EQ set flat.

Believe me, I have tried many situations for a Viper, but bottom line is it was not designed for a great stereo system due to the inner acoustics and cockpit layout. You can make it sound better, but never will it sound as good as other vehicles.

Good luck with the install.

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score

cliftonviper,

could you please tell me how it sounds i am thinking about getting the same speakers but using aftermarket amp. is it a direct fit

thanks

OP
OP
C

Clifton Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score

SBKIM -

Sent you an email.

Rockford Fosgate components speakers were a big improvement over stock. There is much less distortion at higher volumes and the highs are much clearer. I'm sure the Boston Accoustics and MB Quarts would be even better.

I agree with the comment that a head unit with an equalizer would allow for an even better sound. I'm installing one this weekend along with a replacement sub-woofer. Nothing fancy on the subwoofer, just making the existing compartment airtight and upgrading to a Rockford Fosgate 6.5" sub-woofer. (We'll see what it sounds like...)

Charles.