Install of VEC2

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a VEC2, and I was wondering what the is slickest install that has been done ... I'd like the performance gain, but wouldn't want something staring a dealer tech in the face if he opened the hood ... also don't want something that is too difficult to do ...

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
LOL... I think I may hold the record for the most complicated VEC-2 install known to mankind, as part of the VS-1500TT project. It is enclosed in a waterproof box (lights and card accessible), hardwired into the OEM harness for MAP limiting & Crank Signals, has dual selectable inputs ranging from IAT, TPS, Dual WB O2, & Dual Knock Sensing. Implemented into the selector box is two DB-9 connectors, One for Firmware Update and Logging, the other for Firmware Update only. I also have utilized large 25-watt aluminum resistors for low-impedance injector driving, and they are heat-sinked to the intake manifold. The resistors will allow the use of the most insane injectors imagineable, even at 100% DTC with no fear of overheating resistors and increasing their Ohm-load temporarily or permanently (lean condition possible, or failed injector firing) I also have an enclosed PWM control wire wired to the VEC-2 which runs to the secondary fuel pump in the rear of the car. (I have to say, bending that Stainless tube which houses the control wire was the single biggest Pain In The Ass I have ever had. Picture a stainless tube which runs from the rear of the engine area to the rear bumper. Now, add 22 bends to it. I think you can see why its a pain! Oh well...the price you pay for OEM-looking installs...utilizes all of the OEM brake-line mounts.

I will post a few pictures when I have a chance.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What???????

Funny - when I step on the gas, it goes.

Joking aside, that sounds impressive but just not sure what it means.

OP
OP
Vipermann

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
LOL... I think I may hold the record for the most complicated VEC-2 install known to mankind, as part of the VS-1500TT project. It is enclosed in a waterproof box (lights and card accessible), hardwired into the OEM harness for MAP limiting & Crank Signals, has dual selectable inputs ranging from IAT, TPS, Dual WB O2, & Dual Knock Sensing. Implemented into the selector box is two DB-9 connectors, One for Firmware Update and Logging, the other for Firmware Update only. I also have utilized large 25-watt aluminum resistors for low-impedance injector driving, and they are heat-sinked to the intake manifold. The resistors will allow the use of the most insane injectors imagineable, even at 100% DTC with no fear of overheating resistors and increasing their Ohm-load temporarily or permanently (lean condition possible, or failed injector firing) I also have an enclosed PWM control wire wired to the VEC-2 which runs to the secondary fuel pump in the rear of the car. (I have to say, bending that Stainless tube which houses the control wire was the single biggest Pain In The Ass I have ever had. Picture a stainless tube which runs from the rear of the engine area to the rear bumper. Now, add 22 bends to it. I think you can see why its a pain! Oh well...the price you pay for OEM-looking installs...utilizes all of the OEM brake-line mounts.

Holy cr_p!! I was looking for more of a "red-to-red, black-to-black" kind of install, but just well hidden ... I need the "VEC2 For Idiots" book.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wow.

04 SRT10 Owner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Believe you me Dan is the man when it comes to pure innovation and originality. He installed my VEC2 with finesse.But honestly, ask me to explain what he said forget it, I'd rather be working on the human body because it's easier for me to understand.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Jerry- Thats why you are going to be here when the engine is reassembled! I am going to turn you into a wrench-turner if its the last thing I do.

Here is a picture of the VEC-2 head-unit, box, input selector, and update/logging connectors. And lets not forget my most favorite tube in the whole world...

About 50% of what you see is covered by the winshield wiper assembly and cowl when installed.

3115Revised_Controller_Selector_Box-med.JPG