Installed: Kicker KS600 6.5" Speakers

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i definately have more sound and better quality. Is it night and day, im not sure. But for $100, why not try it. Anything has to be better then stock. So Im pleased with the new speakers.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So MikeR, which wire went to which?

On my 2005, when i removed factory speakers, the black wire was negative. The factory speakers, as well as the kicker have small +/- signs on them. So I wire accordingly. I know people are psoting conflicting stories,but maybe there was a change during model years.

OP
OP
A

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just purchased the KS600's at circuit city, came home, and installed it within 15 minutes. The sound quality is VERY noticeable, and it's definitely very good. While I was doing the installation, I was on my iphone looking at the installation pics on this thread. Everything adg44 wrote was perfect! Kudos to adg44 for finding this set. :2tu:

I'm glad I could be of assitance. :2tu:

- Anthony

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out the difference between the pplks and the kickers. Someone posted the technical difference, but I'm curious to know if one tends to generate more bass response or more treble and if one requires more amplification to genarate the same sound pressure.

I think I put less effort into buying my '08 than I am into this $60 speaker purchase! LOL

OP
OP
A

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out the difference between the pplks and the kickers. Someone posted the technical difference, but I'm curious to know if one tends to generate more bass response or more treble and if one requires more amplification to genarate the same sound pressure.

I think I put less effort into buying my '08 than I am into this $60 speaker purchase! LOL
I posted the technical differences, and I believe I mentioned briefly how they translate into real world differences.

The Kickers have a 43hz frequency response, which is 7hz lower than the Polks. Theoretically, they should have a little better bass. However, a 6.5" speaker can't really generate any bass below 80-100hz. The Polks have a 2db higher sensitivity, which most likely translates into their lower power handling. The Kickers can are rated for 65 watts RMS, and the Polks are 55 watts RMS. Honestly, if the Polks were available locally as well, and weren't a "slim" speaker, I probably would have picked them up instead.

I drove around for a while today, and I'm still on the fence about these speakers. I think it's not a difficiency with the speakers, but rather the fact that they are doing the best they can with the factory head unit and amp. For $100 it's a great upgrade, but I'm going to try and find a 6.5" component set that fits and then just run the driver and see how that works out.

- Anthony

Dustman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Anthony,

how 'bout a 'rear (middle console) speaker upgrade with the SAME nice pictorial like you did on this one ?! (hint hint) ;)... :D

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I posted the technical differences, and I believe I mentioned briefly how they translate into real world differences.

The Kickers have a 43hz frequency response, which is 7hz lower than the Polks. Theoretically, they should have a little better bass. However, a 6.5" speaker can't really generate any bass below 80-100hz. The Polks have a 2db higher sensitivity, which most likely translates into their lower power handling. The Kickers can are rated for 65 watts RMS, and the Polks are 55 watts RMS. Honestly, if the Polks were available locally as well, and weren't a "slim" speaker, I probably would have picked them up instead.

I drove around for a while today, and I'm still on the fence about these speakers. I think it's not a difficiency with the speakers, but rather the fact that they are doing the best they can with the factory head unit and amp. For $100 it's a great upgrade, but I'm going to try and find a 6.5" component set that fits and then just run the driver and see how that works out.

- Anthony

Thanks Anthony. I actually think I understood your explaination now that I've read it twice. If "the Polks have a 2db higher sensitivity" does that influence the sound pressure (volume) or only a lower power handling?

OP
OP
A

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anthony,

how 'bout a 'rear (middle console) speaker upgrade with the SAME nice pictorial like you did on this one ?! (hint hint) ;)... :D

See, once you start changing a stereo system in a car, you always look to the next thing to upgrade! :D

I agree, that sub is pretty horrible. I read somewhere that someone used a JL 6w0 sub, and only had to trim the console a little bit (probably for the larger magnet). I think that a sub upgrade would require an amp upgrade, and I don't know that I want to go down that path. I also think that the enclosure for the sub wouldn't be able to handle too much more power.

Besides, I have my other car for my headache inducing bass needs:

You must be registered for see images

- Anthony

OP
OP
A

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Anthony. I actually think I understood your explaination now that I've read it twice. If "the Polks have a 2db higher sensitivity" does that influence the sound pressure (volume) or only a lower power handling?

Sensitivity is a rating of how efficiently speakers turn power into sound. If the number is higher, the speaker produces more sound with less power. This design is why the Polk *should* work better with the lower wattage being fed to it by our amplifier, and why the Kicker's should sound better if they are being fed by a stronger aftermarked amplifier (they have a 10 watt RMS higher power handling than the Polk's).

For just dropping in speakers and leaving everything else the same, they both are going to work just fine. With the lower frequency response of the Kicker's, I'd be inclined to say they are going to "hit" harder than the Polk's. That is also what Kicker speakers and subs are known for - Bass.

- Anthony

OP
OP
A

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, I just spent an hour in the car and I am 99% sure that my drivers side speaker is defective. When a song with bass plays, I can hear it destorting and it sounds like there is a tear in the cone or surround. I'm going to take them out and exchange them for another set and see how those perform.

- Anthony

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, I just spent an hour in the car and I am 99% sure that my drivers side speaker is defective. When a song with bass plays, I can hear it destorting and it sounds like there is a tear in the cone or surround. I'm going to take them out and exchange them for another set and see how those perform.

- Anthony

Why is it always just when it seems like an easy task.... :mad:

Last edited:
V

Venomiss

This one should go in the illustrated section when you join. Sounds like that will be soon!
Your oil thread is a good one for that too.

Peter Nielsen

Viper Owner
Reaction score

It means that when your amp is outputting 55 watts of power, the Polk will be 2dB louder than the other speaker at the same wattage. (The other speaker will need 80 watts of amplification to achieve the same sound level since it is 2dB less efficient).

A difference of 3dB consitutes an audible perception of "doubling the sound level"

In essence, the Polk will play somewhat louder. Not a big difference, but...

Sound level calculator: Peak SPL Calculator

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It means that when your amp is outputting 55 watts of power, the Polk will be 2dB louder than the other speaker at the same wattage. (The other speaker will need 80 watts of amplification to achieve the same sound level since it is 2dB less efficient).

A difference of 3dB consitutes an audible perception of "doubling the sound level"

In essence, the polk will Play somewhat louder. Not a big difference, but...

Sound level calculator: Peak SPL Calculator

Thanks Peter. Sort of like "feeling" an extra 30 HP in a 500 HP car. ;)
I still don't know which (Kicker v. Polk) to buy for an '08.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
mine got damaged by fedex and returned to shipper....will be another week before i get my kickers

OP
OP
A

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will research the center speaker... I may go swap out my Kicker's for a different set tomorrow to see if they work better. I think mine may be slightly defective. I'm also going to look for a component set that may fit (in the doors).

CaptainDavid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Read this thread, got on the net, found the Kicker 600ks speakers at Millionbuy.com for $45 + shipping ( totaled $62) Installed them yesterday. Vast improvement in sound.
Thanks for this and what a great forum

:drive::drive:

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was at ILLSMOQ's yesterday doing some flushing of all my fluids. Well, we both turned on our radios and listened to same station. ILLSMOQ didnt notice a big difference at first, he was looking for alot more bass.

But I noticed a BIG difference in sound. Not only can you turn it up louder without distortion, but there is alot more sound coming from the speakers. I was looking to hear my music better, so I guess more highs. With loud exhaust, I can barely hear stock system on freeway, without cranking up. Now I can hear the music, its more clear.

Im sure there are better speakers out there, but again, for $ 100 or less these are a good buy.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone try these on a GenII? For the price, it seems worth the try at least.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone try these on a GenII? For the price, it seems worth the try at least.

JIMMMYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Sorry, Tony.....you just bring it out in me! :lmao:

Couldn't agree more about this thread. Good point about the road noise. I'm not looking for audiophile sound since I'll never hear it anyway. This inexpensive (alright, CHEAP) upgrade is perfect. I'm about to buy the Kickers. I too would like to upgrade the rear sub-woofer. It distorts a lot with any deep base.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
UPS guy dropped off the kickers at 2pm 2day and by 2.40 they installed

First the kickers are definitely a heavier speaker than the polk, whether that translates into a better speaker i don't know

Now the rest is just my opinion versus the polks

1..they produce a better bass .. i was able to turn up the bass output on the radio which the speakers were able to handle better and this allowed the sub to kick in as well
2..vocal acuity particularly on the top end is better
3..Overall volume output seems higher

so i would give the kickers a slight edge in all categories..thanks anthony for a good find

i also decided to stay with they kicker plastic cover.. the carbon gray matched my carbon dash.. the cover just snaps on ...
The speakers have a thin plastic diaphragm which u install on the back of the speaker if u use the kicker cover.. if u use the stock speaker cover u can skip it and the speaker will sit deeper in the door

k1.JPG

k2.JPG

k3.JPG