Installed: Kicker KS600 6.5" Speakers

OP
OP
A

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, that is a lot better! But still not perfect.

So I was in the car for a while the other day and I said something is definitely wrong. I'm getting way too many highs (I had the treble down at -5) and the bass was weak. I went and checked the factory speakers, and sure enough those indicate that black is negative and green is positive. I tested with a 9v battery, and sure enough with black as negative and green as positive, there was positive exursion of the cone.

So, this is why you should always check things for yourself, and not listen to what other people tell you. I didn't bother to double check as the stereo shop tested it and said it was the other way around (which was what I read on here previously, too). I probably should have triple checked before I posted a thread about it, but oh well. :D

So I reversed the wires, the phase is now correct, and there is much better bass and considerably less highs. The stereo sounds balanced again.

One thing I do want to mention is that the proper crimping tool is a must. I had one of the really cheap crimping/stripping tools, and I decided it was time for an upgrade. The good crimping tools have a notch on the bottom crimper which puts a little "V" in the connector. This is a much better connection and is the proper way to crimp. The tool was only $15 from Home Depot, so I highly recommend it.

You must be registered for see images

And here you can see a close up of the crimping:

You must be registered for see images

I will go and update my first post so that people don't get confused...

However, I still have an issue with the drivers side speaker. When bass hits, the speaker distorts and it definitely seems like there is something defective with it. The passenger side one doesn't do it, so it's not the way it's supposed to be. I am going to go and swap them out for another set today and see how those work.

I also noticed when playing with the stereo with the door speakers removed, that the mid-level speaker behind my head is completely worthless. I have no doubt that the cone or surround is torn, as I could hear it "cracking" when the volume is turned up. I think it will be hard to find a speaker to fit in there, however. Finding a replacement for that, and a 6.5" sub to replace the factory one will be what I work on next.

- Anthony

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would be interested in what you find for the rear sub. it definitely could use an upgrade. If you can find a decent replacement i would think we should see a similar improvement like the doors.

Keep us posted. Great job on this...

1fastviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
However, I still have an issue with the drivers side speaker. When bass hits, the speaker distorts and it definitely seems like there is something defective with it. The passenger side one doesn't do it, so it's not the way it's supposed to be. I am going to go and swap them out for another set today and see how those work.

- Anthony

I also have a problem with the driver side speaker distorting at high volume after the install.Let us know if the swap helps.It may just have something to do with them not getting eneough juice.:dunno:I wonder if there are any direct amp replacement with higher watt output?Does anybody know of anything.:confused:

08viperviolet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well i just ordered some diamond components instead will let you know how it goes after install is completed. I dondnt know of any drop in replacement amp.

OP
OP
A

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I returned mine today... was still getting a 'poppping' at high volume levels. It seems that they can't handle all the bass, or at least my set couldn't.

I am going to call Crutchfield tomorrow and order these:

You must be registered for see images attach

I'll test fit them and let you all know how it goes...

- Anthony

08viperviolet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the big problem is the door speakers are really 6" not 6 1/2" and this is not a size that all manufactures produce. So far only ones I was able to track down are : Diamond, Kicker, JL, Polk audio.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the big problem is the door speakers are really 6" not 6 1/2" and this is not a size that all manufactures produce. So far only ones I was able to track down are : Diamond, Kicker, JL, Polk audio.

Do all those four have the identical mounting screw configuration?

08viperviolet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know that the polk db650 and kicker ks 600 have the same holes. The JL and the diamond have multiple holes so should fit. Local stereo shop recommended the diamonds and JL. I just bought the diamond and they are being shipped to me can give you a definite answer on them when they show up.

VAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone removed the sub? I removed the speaker cover and from what I can tell their is no way to remove the speaker through the front. Do you have to remove the whole rear panel? If so how do you remove the roll bar to get the panel all the way off?

OP
OP
A

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All the JL speakers I saw only had 4 holes...

I ordered the Polk/Momo MMC650's today, and they will be here tomorrow. Only problem is that the car goes in for the transmission replacement tomorrow, so I will most likely not be able to fit them until next week sometime.

- Anthony

OP
OP
A

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the JL vr and tr 6" have a multi hole design. Good luck with the Polks.

Joshua

Here is the JL TR600:

And the JL VR600:

Both a four hole design. Perhaps the older models were 3 and 4 hole?

- Anthony

Last edited:

08viperviolet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
here are the diamond speakers i ordered D363 components which are multiple holes to mount. They will be here on Friday. Will let you know how it goes.

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, I am now completely confused on the + and - wires.

On my Gen II GTS, which speaker wire is + and which is -?:dunno:

TIA

OP
OP
A

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, I am now completely confused on the + and - wires.

On my Gen II GTS, which speaker wire is + and which is -?:dunno:

TIA

If your speakers aren't marked positive and negative, then you will need to test. It's probably good to test anyway.

Cut the wires to the harness for the factory speaker. Strip some of the insulation away, then hook up a 9v battery. When the speaker cone has positive excursion (meaning it protrudes outward instead of inward), then you have the phase correct. Take note which wire is going to positive and which to negative, and then you are set.

- Anthony

OP
OP
A

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On a side note, my Polk MMC650's came today, and the box is huge! The speakers look amazingly well built, and it seems like you can detach the tweeter, as it looked like they provided crossovers for running it as a component set. I didn't get a chance to dig around though, and I can't install them as my Viper is at the dealer getting the transmission checked, but I will be able to report back in a day or two.

- Anthony

OP
OP
A

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update: The Polk MMC650's don't fit. The bolt pattern is correct, but the frame of the speaker is just a hair too thick to fit into the opening. Sure I could trim the factory opening a bit, but I don't want to modify anything.

And the search continues...

Dustman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Anthony,

you need the Polk DB651s in the doors ....... those will fit ! ;)

It used to be the DB650 but they discontinued those.

OP
OP
A

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anthony,

you need the Polk DB651s in the doors ....... those will fit ! ;)

It used to be the DB650 but they discontinued those.

Yes, I know. But the Polk/Momo MMC650's had the correct bolt pattern and they are a better speaker, so I wanted to give them a try.

I may do the DB651s, or I might just try anothe set of the Kicker's again. Not sure yet...

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My GTS rear speaker wires are Light green and Dark green (factory harness), no black wires. :omg:

So which one of those are postive and which is negative?:dunno:

vipervegas

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys,
FYI, I just ordered 2 sets of the Polk DP651 for my GTS from Circuit city with a special they are running of buy one get one 50% off. Total of $150 plus tax. I hope they fit my GTS front and rear. I hope that it is not too many highs.

VAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My GTS rear speaker wires are Light green and Dark green (factory harness), no black wires. :omg:

So which one of those are postive and which is negative?:dunno:

Get a cheap meter from radio shack or autozone. Take the wires off the speaker make sure there not touching. Turn the stereo on. Take one wire at a time and test for voltage. The wire showing voltage will be your hot wire. :2tu:

VAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just installed the kickers:headbang:
They are just what the system needed, next will be the rear sub and mid between the seats. As for which one is positive for the 08's at least, green is positive and black is ground. That I'm 100% sure of:2tu:

08viperviolet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My diamond audio speakers showed up. They do not line up with the holes. But speakers fit in great. I'm haveing new holes drilled in these speakers and install them in the next couple of days. I also bought a JL 6w0 4 ohm to replace the center sub. In earlier posts it will fit in with a little sanding modifications. I will let you know how it ends up:2tu:

VAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My diamond audio speakers showed up. They do not line up with the holes. But speakers fit in great. I'm haveing new holes drilled in these speakers and install them in the next couple of days. I also bought a JL 6w0 4 ohm to replace the center sub. In earlier posts it will fit in with a little sanding modifications. I will let you know how it ends up:2tu:

Let us know how the back piece that the sub sits in comes off.:confused:.
Take some pics if you can.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ar Tee Ten