Installed: Kicker KS600 6.5" Speakers

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I saw a thread on here asking about speakers, and then I got the bug to install new speakers myself. 30 minutes and $100 later, I have new speakers! :D

Kicker KS600 - $129.99 (Crutchfield). I picked these up locally from Circuit City for $106.99.

Specs on the Kicker KS600's:

2-way 6-1/2" speakers (pair)
polypropylene woofer cone with Santoprene™ surround
3/4" Kaladex dome tweeter
power range: 6-65 watts RMS (195 watts peak power)
frequency response: 43-21,000 Hz
sensitivity: 90 dB
top-mount depth: 2"
warranty: 1 year

What is great about these is that they have a very good low frequency response, so they should produce bass very well. All things considered, a 6.5" speaker doesn't produce great bass, but a little is better than none.

I had originally picked up a set of Boston Acoustics SX65's for $150 from my local car audio store, but unfortunately they didn't fit. They are 3 hole mount speakers, but they are too big to fit in the door panel, and the grille doesn't fit either. That's too bad as Boston Acoustics makes some of the best speakers you can buy.

Since I had already removed the factory speakers, I went to Best Buy to see if they had any speakers that fit. I brought the grille inside with me and I tested it on all their 6.5" speakers. They only had one set, Sony GT25A - $69.99 speakers, and those didn't seem any better than the factory speakers. Then I went too circuit city, which had the Polk DB651, but only the Polk DB651s - $99.99 has a three hole mount, which Circuit City doesn't carry. I looked at the Kicker's, tested my grille and it fit, and I purchased them and went home. Also, there is plenty of room in the door panel for a deep speaker, so there is no reason to use a "shallow mount" speaker.

The whole install takes about 15 minutes - it's painfully simple. The only thing to remember is that on the wiring harness for the speakers, GREEN is negative, not black. Why this is - I have no clue. Logic doesn't prevail here.

Anyway, the Kicker speakers come with wire and butt connectors, so all you need to do is cut the factory harness off the stock speakers (leave some room to crimp these back on to the stock speakers if you want to use them again), and then use the butt connectors to attach to the wiring provided:

You must be registered for see images

With that out of the way, connect the harness to the connector inside the door panel (when removing and connecting the harness inside the door panel, remember there is a clip in the center of the connector that needs to "click":

Side by side:

Rear of the speaker (look at the huge magnet!):

Test fitting the speaker:

All finished:

The results are great, especially for $100. Theoretically we don't need a coax speaker, but rather a component speaker where we just use the woofer. We have a mid range speakers behind our heads, and tweeters in the dash, so we don't need a two way. However, component 6.5's are double the price, so using this setup makes sense, and it doesn't hurt anything.

When I was driving around from store to store looking for speakers, I was using the stereo with just the sub, mids, and highs, as the 6.5's were removed. None of those speakers get distored, and they sound great at high volumes. Before when I would turn the stereo above "20", it would start to sound a little messy. Near 25 and it was bad. Now when I turn it up to 25 with the Kicker's installed, you get good bass, clear response, and good quality sound. Any higher than that and you start to see where the inferior quality of the factory wiring and amplifier come into play. Remember, it's not volume that blows out speakers, it's distortion.

Without spending more money and going to a full component setup, a standalone amplifier, and a different head unit, you aren't going to get any better sound than these Kicker KS600's.

I highly recommend this to anyone looking to increase the quality of the stereo without spending a lot of money.

- Anthony

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so in a nutshell....it's worth pulling the stock door speakers out and putting these kickers in?

OP
OP
A

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so in a nutshell....it's worth pulling the stock door speakers out and putting these kickers in?

I'd say so. However, if the factory stereo is adequate for you, then you may not care to spend the money to do this upgrade. I wanted more from the system, but didn't want to rewire and go all out, so this was the right upgrade for me. I amd happy with the results, especially for the price.

Also one thing to note, speakers that have 4 to 3 adapter plates won't work, as they are too big to fit in the recessed opening in the door panel.

- Anthony

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can assure you anything is better than those crappy stock door speakers. I did the polks years ago and was very happy with the $100 upgrade.

Nice write up adg44.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nice write up!!! Glad to know there is another option. Before it had only been the Polk that people were using and the 650 was hard to find. I may have to stop by Circuit city and grab a pair of these.

OP
OP
A

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice write up!!! Glad to know there is another option. Before it had only been the Polk that people were using and the 650 was hard to find. I may have to stop by Circuit city and grab a pair of these.

Oh, I forgot to mention... since you made fun of my previous write up, you can't use this one. Oh, and nice to see you make a post that is somewhat relevant to the topic at hand. ;)

But yes, I saw that some people were using Polk's, and I wanted to try something else. I knew that there had to be another speaker that fit, and although it took me about two hours to find a speaker that works, now we have ones that can be picked up locally.

The spec's are pretty much the same for the Kicker's and the Polks, although the Polk's have a little higher sensitivity (2db), but they don't have as low of a frequency response, and they don't handle as much power (however that is somewhat irrelevant with the factory amp).

- Anthony

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you guys aware that there are several posts that refer to this upgrade (either the Polk 651s or the Kicker ks600) and ALL of them represent different opinions as to the green and black leads!!!

The prior post starts off saying that green is - , then does an about face and states (after actual testing) that green is + (in phase). Now green is back to - again? I wish there was a declarative statement here.

Anyway, I'm considering this upgrade too. The Polk is only $52 (+shipping) on eBay so I wonder if the $50 difference is worthwhile?

Here's the original thread if you want to see the green/black lead turnaround. http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-srt10-coupe-discussions/578167-100-1hour-howto-must-do-speaker-upgrade-pics.html

OP
OP
A

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you guys aware that there are several posts that refer to this upgrade (either the Polk 651s or the Kicker ks600) and ALL of them represent different opinions as to the green and black leads!!!

The prior post starts off saying that green is - , then does an about face and states (after actual testing) that green is + (in phase). Now green is back to - again? I wish there was a declarative statement here.

When I was at my car audio shop, I mentioned to them that the Green was negative and black was positive. Since I had already removed the factory speakers, they tested the leads and infact green was negative. Perhaps this changed on later models, but mine was definitely green for negative.

- Anthony

OP
OP
A

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing to note about eBay and other online retailers - most aren't authorized dealers, so that means you won't have a manufacturer backed warranty. Not that it really matters for a $100 set of speakers, but I figured I'd throw that out there.

Well that's good info! :2tu:

If they are both the same price (effectively), is one preferable over the other?

They seem to be very comparable. As I said above, the Kickers have a lower frquency response (good for bass), but the Polks have a 2db higher sensitivity. I'd say their higher sensitivity ties to the lower power handling compared to the Kickers.

Just get whichever speakers you can get your hands on easiest. I only listen to a CD for about 5 minutes last night before I posted this, so I don't have long-term knowledge of the Kickers, however it was a night and day difference over the stock speakers. I haven't heard the Polk's, but Polk makes a decent speaker.

It's also important to note that audio sounds different to everyone. Considering these are just speaker replacements for a factory system, I doubt one is going to perform much better than the other. Just get whichever is cheaper/easiest to pick up.

- Anthony

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Scott, I did not follow the link, but there is an east way to determine which color wire is pos. All it takes is 1 D-cell battery.

You just need to get 2 short (6" or so) wires and the battery.
Hook up the wires to each end of the battery.
Touch each wire to the terminals of the speaker.
Watch the speaker cone.
When the speaker cone moves outward, that is pos. (pos battery wire to pos lead on speaker)

Now just see what color wire is factory.

Edit: should have read the link. There is a variation of what I said in there.

Anyway, I'm considering this upgrade too. The Polk is only $52 (+shipping) on eBay so I wonder if the $50 difference is worthwhile?

Here's the original thread if you want to see the green/black lead turnaround. http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-srt10-coupe-discussions/578167-100-1hour-howto-must-do-speaker-upgrade-pics.html

Last edited:

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice write-up!Also, smart to put the photos in as well. I may have to do the same to my '08

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The black wire goes to the negative terminal of the speaker

I installed the DB651 model in my 08 but i had to drill my own holes in the speaker.. i think i mistakenly cut one of the domes while i was drilling the holes as i am getting that vibrating blown sound ... i do like the polks as i had the DB650 model in my 03 BUT i'm gonna give the kickers a try and just ordered them

VAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice write up. I believe I will do this mod as well. Has anyone changed the speakers between the seats?

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is getting confusing. Some say its positive, its negative...... Im just going to buy speakers and wire like pic adg44 posted and pray it works. One thing I dont know well, among many, is car audio. Oh well, I'll give it a try tonight and see how it sounds tomorrow when out driving.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think i'll just do a sound check once i have the wiring done before i screw them in ... i do believe though that running a speaker out of phase doesn't hurt it. It just cancels out the sound of the other speakers running in phase.... so doing a sound check would involve making sure there is still audio coming from the other speakers which are pretty worthless anyways

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, I looked at speakers. On my 2005, The factory speakers have a -/+ sign and the black wire goes to negative. So maybe some years are different. Anyways, I'lll add my feedback on speakers tomorrow.

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is great info.

Thanks for taking the time to research, write it up and post.

I'll be looking in to these speakers very soon for my 2005.
:drive:

OP
OP
A

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think i'll just do a sound check once i have the wiring done before i screw them in ... i do believe though that running a speaker out of phase doesn't hurt it. It just cancels out the sound of the other speakers running in phase.... so doing a sound check would involve making sure there is still audio coming from the other speakers which are pretty worthless anyways

Running a speaker out of phase doesn't hurt it, it just kills all your bass.

OP
OP
A

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
has anyone put in componets instead of the coax?

That is actually really what we need. I noticed that with the two-way speakers in the doors, I'm getting a lot of treble. It sounds good still, but I had to crank the treble on the head unit down to -1 otherwise it was overpowering.

What would be the best way to do it is to run a set of components and just use the woofer/speaker (unless you want to swap out the tweeter as well). I had mentioned this in my first post.

- Anthony

OP
OP
A

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I looked at speakers. On my 2005, The factory speakers have a -/+ sign and the black wire goes to negative. So maybe some years are different. Anyways, I'lll add my feedback on speakers tomorrow.

Interesting...

Did you install the speakers? How do you like them?

- Anthony

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Be interested to see what you think between the Polk and Kickers...

The black wire goes to the negative terminal of the speaker

I installed the DB651 model in my 08 but i had to drill my own holes in the speaker.. i think i mistakenly cut one of the domes while i was drilling the holes as i am getting that vibrating blown sound ... i do like the polks as i had the DB650 model in my 03 BUT i'm gonna give the kickers a try and just ordered them

Fast Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just purchased the KS600's at circuit city, came home, and installed it within 15 minutes. The sound quality is VERY noticeable, and it's definitely very good. While I was doing the installation, I was on my iphone looking at the installation pics on this thread. Everything adg44 wrote was perfect! Kudos to adg44 for finding this set. :2tu:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21