iPhone kit?

Viper007Bond

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought a kit for my Mustang that pretends to be an external CD changer and allows me to play music off my iPhone over my car's speakers.

The only kinds of kits I'm finding for a SRT-10 though is the wired FM transmitter kind though (you tune the radio to a certain frequency).

Does anyone have any better alternatives? While the Viper comes with built-in music ( ;) ) for short trips, long trips can be rather boring and require music and I'd rather not burn CDs. :)

Reaction score
Mopar had a kit that allowed you to use your factory Viper head unit with a wired system to your iPod (2003-2010). There are some instructional posts on installing them somewhere around these forums. The original supplier to Mopar is no longer in business, but there is still some stock available.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would be very interested in this as well, the FM transmitter systems are sketchy and not that great.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another option is if you want a better head unit, buy one with a front mount USB port. Plug up your Iphone via its USB charging cable, tune the radio to the USB setting and you can control the songs on your phone from your radio.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mopar had a kit that allowed you to use your factory Viper head unit with a wired system to your iPod (2003-2010). There are some instructional posts on installing them somewhere around these forums. The original supplier to Mopar is no longer in business, but there is still some stock available.

I see that unit on the VPA site, but it doesn't mention use with an Iphone?
What's involved with the install anyone?

Silver04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good ?. I will continue playing my tunes through the crappy iPhone speakers as I am hesitant/reluctant to run wires as the other great, detailed thread showed.

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I looked into adding an iPod adapter on my '04, I could never get a clear answer as to whether or not it would actually work. It seemed to be hit and miss, and installation often caused very strange electrical problems.

My solution was to spend a small fortune and have an after market double DIN navigation unit installed.

At first I didn't want to cut up the car and lower it's value, but then I decided its true value comes in the joy of driving it. Music, hands free phone, and navigation really make the car more enjoyable.

~Jay

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree Jay....blasting some tunes makes the whole ride even better.
Would have been nice if the stock radios had an auxiliary port...

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know a few guys did them here in Kansas City on their SRT's with no problem. You control the iPod from the radio controls (even provides voice prompts for some non-Viper radios) and just leave it in the glove box. Buy a 160GB iPod Classic at Sam's for around $200 and never hunt for a CD again... :D

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think about doing this a lot but I've heard the stories about electrical issues afterwards and that scares me off from doing it.

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Terk XM Radio adapter, which has an extra RCA Port to plug in any input you want. You put it to XM and just play the music off your iPod.

I've since upgraded and play my music over bluetooth, but this was a great way to go. I have it laying around if you want to try it for a cheap alternative. It will not control the iPhone though.

OP
OP
V

Viper007Bond

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Another option is if you want a better head unit, buy one with a front mount USB port. Plug up your Iphone via its USB charging cable, tune the radio to the USB setting and you can control the songs on your phone from your radio.

I'd prefer to stick with the stock unit if I can, both for economics and because it fits in. Aftermarket radios always look out of place.

I know a few guys did them here in Kansas City on their SRT's with no problem. You control the iPod from the radio controls (even provides voice prompts for some non-Viper radios) and just leave it in the glove box. Buy a 160GB iPod Classic at Sam's for around $200 and never hunt for a CD again... :D

Is this the Mopar kit? This is exactly what I'm looking for!

cweaver22

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i just bought the Mopar kit.

i have an 05 with the 6 disc in dash cd changer, no nav radio. i'll let you know how it works out

OP
OP
V

Viper007Bond

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i just bought the Mopar kit.

i have an 05 with the 6 disc in dash cd changer, no nav radio. i'll let you know how it works out

I hear the Mopar kit works well for 3rd gen cars but I'm hearing conflicting reports about it working on the 4th gen. Some Googling on the kit says it doesn't work, that thread says it may, and VPOA's listing says it does but says no refunds. Not sure I want to take the $200 gamble.

I have the standard radio, not the navigation unit.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think about doing this a lot but I've heard the stories about electrical issues afterwards and that scares me off from doing it.

What sorts of electrical issues? I had considered trying the adapter, but went all in and replaced every last piece of stock stereo equipment in the car with aftermarket stuff...head unit, amp, speakers, and ran new wires to all of it. I had to have my iPod.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What sorts of electrical issues? I had considered trying the adapter, but went all in and replaced every last piece of stock stereo equipment in the car with aftermarket stuff...head unit, amp, speakers, and ran new wires to all of it. I had to have my iPod.

The exact issues escape me at the moment but I remember it making me think more then twice about doing it but now I am kinda leaning towards doing it.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The exact issues escape me at the moment but I remember it making me think more then twice about doing it but now I am kinda leaning towards doing it.

Well, the way I figure it, if anyone would have had electrical problems, it would have been me...both connectors going to the amplifier are unplugged, and one of the two connectors going to the back of the head unit is also unplugged. No issues to speak of, so I can't see how an adapter would cause any problems...I guess Mr. Murphy pops up every now and again though.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Please do post up actual results - especially with the Gen 4. I had it in my Gen 3 and it worked perfect. Also - if your head unit has SIRIS - does that muddy the waters? While my unit does have SIRIS - I do not plan to use it and would like to add the Ipod adaptor.

In my Gen 3, I placed the Ipod in the back portion of the center console and then built a cover so that you could not even see the Ipod.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Reading through some old post's I discovered that with the GEN IV's the issue appears to be when you try and hook up the radio, satellite radio, AND iPod adaptor. You have to either do the radio and iPod or Satellite a radio but not all three unless you buy a separate cable.

OP
OP
V

Viper007Bond

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Reading through some old post's I discovered that with the GEN IV's the issue appears to be when you try and hook up the radio, satellite radio, AND iPod adaptor. You have to either do the radio and iPod or Satellite a radio but not all three unless you buy a separate cable.

Fine by me! Your own music > someone else's choice of music. :)

JKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a kit for my Mustang that pretends to be an external CD changer and allows me to play music off my iPhone over my car's speakers.

The only kinds of kits I'm finding for a SRT-10 though is the wired FM transmitter kind though (you tune the radio to a certain frequency).

Does anyone have any better alternatives? While the Viper comes with built-in music ( ;) ) for short trips, long trips can be rather boring and require music and I'd rather not burn CDs. :)

I bought the Mopar Ipod Integration kit for my 06 and it worked perfectly with the stock radio(I think it's the RBQ model). I highly recommended it.

OP
OP
V

Viper007Bond

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I spent this evening installing the kit. My radio's model number wasn't listed as one of the compatible radios but it's model number was only slightly off the older RAH model that was listed (my model number was higher, so a newer unit than the one that was out when the ancient kit was sold).

The good news: it works! Displays the track on the radio, etc. It think it's a Sirius radio input, heh.

The bad news: it only works in dumb mode. That means you can only control the music via the radio controls. The disc buttons allow you to cycle through playlists, artists, albums, and I think genres. You cannot select music via the iPhone. For the kit I bought for my Mustang, you can hit one of the disc buttons to toggle between dumb and smart modes. Shame really.

The really bad news: it doesn't charge my iPhone. This means on the really long trips, I'll have to take a break from listening to it in order to charge it back up using the cigarette lighter.

I took lots of pictures of the installation and where I mounted the box and I'll post them on my personal blog soon.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I spent this evening installing the kit. My radio's model number wasn't listed as one of the compatible radios but it's model number was only slightly off the older RAH model that was listed (my model number was higher, so a newer unit than the one that was out when the ancient kit was sold).

The good news: it works! Displays the track on the radio, etc. It think it's a Sirius radio input, heh.

The bad news: it only works in dumb mode. That means you can only control the music via the radio controls. The disc buttons allow you to cycle through playlists, artists, albums, and I think genres. You cannot select music via the iPhone. For the kit I bought for my Mustang, you can hit one of the disc buttons to toggle between dumb and smart modes. Shame really.

The really bad news: it doesn't charge my iPhone. This means on the really long trips, I'll have to take a break from listening to it in order to charge it back up using the cigarette lighter.

I took lots of pictures of the installation and where I mounted the box and I'll post them on my personal blog soon.

Hood to hear you got it working. :) Post lots of pics of the install. My kit is on the way and I want to get lots of ideas on how to get my setup going. :)

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have a Panasonic head unit in my truck with this type of cable and same thing. No charge (but iPod will!?? Explain that!) and no non radio controls. :(

I think it is an Apple thing and not a Mopar thing.

OppositeLock

VCA Member
Reaction score

Take a look at the 'CableJive dockStubz Charge Converter and 30-pin Pass Through Adapter for iPhone, iPod, and iPad' or similar device on Amazon. It plugs in between the iPod Integration Kit's connector and your iPhone and should resolve the issue with the charging while still allowing all other iPhone functionality.

OP
OP
V

Viper007Bond

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll check that out. Someone else recommended something similar. I didn't realize that was an option.

The other thing worth noting is that since it operates in radio-control mode only (not iPhone interface), I believe this means you can't play Pandora and such over the radio. For example I had my father call me and it only rang my phone and not my speakers. I'll confirm this weekend.

Viktimize

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Being how ugly the stock head unit/dash is anyway in the Viper, I'll be just going to a nice aftermarket unit. Flawless ipod integration, charging capability for iphone/ipod, sirius, better CD player should you ever use it, and better overall sound from the stock speakers as well. Seems like a no brainer.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Being how ugly the stock head unit/dash is anyway in the Viper, I'll be just going to a nice aftermarket unit. Flawless ipod integration, charging capability for iphone/ipod, sirius, better CD player should you ever use it, and better overall sound from the stock speakers as well. Seems like a no brainer.

What's a good quality replacement unit with no fitment issues that does all the above?