Is Imitation the Sincerest Form of Flattery?

elanderholm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're right, the front 3/4 view looks good, as viewed from the top of a twelve foot ladder, LOL. From the other angles, I see Pontiac Aztek combined with Nissan GT-R. Two epic styling fails, in my book.

You are welcome to your opinion I think the new C7 looks great. Every car has angles that make it look bad. The viper, to me has never photographed well, but is stunning in real life. I'm not going to judge the car yet. At this point it looks great and should be a great drive. I would love one to go along with the viper. I was never really a fan of the C6. GM needed to do something with that boring, plastic fantastic and I think they made a good effort.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are welcome to your opinion I think the new C7 looks great. Every car has angles that make it look bad. The viper, to me has never photographed well, but is stunning in real life. I'm not going to judge the car yet. At this point it looks great and should be a great drive. I would love one to go along with the viper. I was never really a fan of the C6. GM needed to do something with that boring, plastic fantastic and I think they made a good effort.

I couldn't pass up taking a shot at it for grins, LOL. Agreed, I really don't think it's a bad looking car, I'm just having some fun. I'm glad to see the Corvette advancing. Still, I thought it would have something to differentiate it from the C6 as far as performance or weight, but it's a pretty minimal bump in HP and nothing impressive on the weight. Looking forward to the future Z06 or ZR1.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow. Maybe it will grow on me over time. So many conflicting designs can be seen in it. Personally I prefer the old Z06 look way more than this. That rear end slaughtered any chance of me warming up to the car quickly. Some angles it looks good like that high up front 3/4 view.

On the other hand, as Bushido mentioned, it comes with top of the line Viper GTS brakes on their "base car". One can only imagine what the upcoming Z06 and ZR1 will be given as far as brakes. You have to give Chevy credit. Ever since the C6 they have been outfitting these cars with really stellar equipment for the price. Im pretty sure this thing will perform.

I dont see how this new Vette will beat the old C6 Z06 around a track since its both much heavier and a good bit less powerful than it. Cant wait for the track numbers.

Also it looks like they took a page from Nissan not only in the GTR-ish styling but in the throttle blipping on gear shift from the Nissan 370z's transmission. Interesting.

Last edited:

Smokin' 2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did I read correctly that along with 'auto blipping' the throttle it will come with a diff and trans cooler? With a dry sump this could be a great track combo here in Texas.

I like it in a 'let me see it in person first' type of way. Can't argue with bang for the buck.

Now if the gen V Viper looked like this I would not be happy....

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I watched the reveal. That car looks amazing except the rear. It has a very muscular stance and looks exoctic from side. I think I would buy one if it were not for that damn Camaro rear. I think the aftermarket is wide open for modifications to that rear. Lots of money to be made for the company that can bolt on a different back end. Other than that it looks like a fantastic car.

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow. Maybe it will grow on me over time. So many conflicting designs can be seen in it. Personally I prefer the old Z06 look way more than this. That rear end slaughtered any chance of me warming up to the car quickly. Some angles it looks good like that high up front 3/4 view.

On the other hand, as Bushido mentioned, it comes with top of the line Viper GTS brakes on their "base car". One can only imagine what the upcoming Z06 and ZR1 will be given as far as brakes. You have to give Chevy credit. Ever since the C6 they have been outfitting these cars with really stellar equipment for the price. Im pretty sure this thing will perform.

I dont see how this new Vette will beat the old C6 Z06 around a track since its both much heavier and a good bit less powerful than it. Cant wait for the track numbers.

Also it looks like they took a page from Nissan not only in the GTR-ish styling but in the throttle blipping on gear shift from the Nissan 370z's transmission. Interesting.

Besides the Brembo brakes. this car is suppose to be lighter,and with 450hp 450tq. Along with MR shocks new lighter suspension,Michelin tires. I think there's a decent chance that this car is as fast, or quicker around the track. I also can't wait to see some lap times too..

Ev1E9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Besides the Brembo brakes. this car is suppose to be lighter,and with 450hp 450tq. Along with MR shocks new lighter suspension,Michelin tires. I think there's a decent chance that this car is as fast, or quicker around the track. I also can't wait to see some lap times too..

According to Edmunds, the C7 is going to be heavier than the out-going C6:

Despite the mass reductions above, the C7 Corvette will be heavier than the C6 due to its laundry list of new hardware and improved crashworthiness. GM was not specific about curb weight other than acknowledging that, yes, the C7's curb weight will be higher than the current car. Our guess is that the new car will gain about 100 pounds over the C6. Weight distribution is not yet finalized, but we expect a slight rearward move to 49/51 percent front/rear.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Despite the mass reductions above, the C7 Corvette will be heavier than the C6 due to its laundry list of new hardware and improved crashworthiness. GM was not specific about curb weight other than acknowledging that, yes, the C7's curb weight will be higher than the current car. Our guess is that the new car will gain about 100 pounds over the C6. Weight distribution is not yet finalized, but we expect a slight rearward move to 49/51 percent front/rear.

I think they were bluffing on that. The reveal announced the new spec at 99 lbs lighter than the C6.

commandomatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wonder if GM will release performance figures before taking orders or if they will follow the SRT lead and leave their customers guessing.

Matt

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Yeah that's why I said " It's suppose to be". Yup nothing is confirmed until the car is out for the reviewers..

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wonder if GM will release performance figures before taking orders or if they will follow the SRT lead and leave their customers guessing.

Matt

Yea, they already soft talked it ... 0-60 well under 4 secs, and top speed in the 180-190 range. I don't think GM will be giving not ready for prime time test mule beaters to mags to review. They even said they themselves were driving the first cars off the production line for testing. I think they'll do their numbers and send "real" cars for reviews.

Wondering how the mags will respond to the 7 speed manual, love it or hate it. I hadn't heard one leak on that, caught me by surprise.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah that's why I said " It's suppose to be". Yup nothing is confirmed until the car is out for the reviewers..

The C6 is 3208 lbs per the official Corvette website.
The C7 is 3350 lbs according to the just-released reveal video.

Last edited:

bcmarly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gears 5-7 are overdrive which means acceleration beyond 4th gear will be sloooowwww. The optional Z51 will have more aggressive gearing.

Yea, they already soft talked it ... 0-60 well under 4 secs, and top speed in the 180-190 range. I don't think GM will be giving not ready for prime time test mule beaters to mags to review. They even said they themselves were driving the first cars off the production line for testing. I think they'll do their numbers and send "real" cars for reviews.

Wondering how the mags will respond to the 7 speed manual, love it or hate it. I hadn't heard one leak on that, caught me by surprise.

Last edited:

stingray23

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The HP and TQ numbers are estimated at 450 each. The official numbers are not out yet. And the weight has not been officially released yet either. We do know that the chassis is 99lbs lighter and 60% stiffer then the C6.

bcmarly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wish they would stop with this nonsense, they know the weight and hp/tq numbers.

The HP and TQ numbers are estimated at 450 each. The official numbers are not out yet. And the weight has not been officially released yet either. We do know that the chassis is 99lbs lighter and 60% stiffer then the C6.

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
top corvette engineer states car is overall ~100lbs heavier than C6 in video interview.

mjf6175

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The info about the C7 being 99 pounds lighter than the C6 refers to the FRAME only, not the total weight of the vehicle. So yes weight was taken out of the frame but obviously added back in through other areas.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I think they hit the jackpot on that one. Given it is only the base model and there will be future ZO6 and ZR1 versions, for the money that is one beautiful car. It is no Viper, but I predict many garages will sport both side by side. Good on them.

ferraritoviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love it...like the Viper, a complete makeover. The inside adjustable exhaust notes should be awesome, and looking forward to seeing the Z07 and it's enhancements...good chance I'll double up with one for Florida. As for the base model, you won't find a better ride on this planet for $50k or so. Viper(flowing lines)/Corvette(straight lines and angles)= USA's answer to Italy's Ferrari/Lambo :D

TonyCool

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I give it an 8 out of 10.

You would have to be blind to think this new vette looks like the new viper. Not even close, not by a long shot. The only thing slightly similar is the shape of the front but only from that particular view in the picture of the OP.

I have mixed feelings about this new Corvette. Not thrilled about the rear end and it's not only about the headlights. It looks like they ran out of material and decided to leave half of the rear end unfinished...

You must be registered for see images attach

They just sort of painted the side of the fenders so people didn't realized when looking at it from the side.

The rear is ok when you are not looking directly at it:

You must be registered for see images

Some clever painting might fix that. But honestly it would just be better to slam a C6 rear end on it and then the car would look like a million times better.

Still it's definitely better looking overall than a C6 base and probably the best NEW car you can buy in it's price range. Though for near 60K I would prefer a used well cared for Gen4 Viper :drive:

You must be registered for see images

The front end looks pretty good. I would have to either color match the roof pilars.

^^^^
This makes me think the convertible will look pretty good.

Or color match the roof.

I think what I'm saying is that they riced out the car too much for my taste...

The interior is plenty good enough but not on pair with the new viper as it should be considering the vette is almost 3 times cheaper (when considering taxes and options).

Performance increase MEH...

Cylinder deactivation :crazy2:

Fuel injection :2tu:

Bottom line is the corvette will never be a viper. Well may be in it's dreams :rolaugh:

Last edited:

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wow. Very informative vid. Carbon fiber, aluminum, those trick shocks and magnesium on the BASE Corvette. Chevy has really gotten serious. No doubt the C7 Z06 and ZR1 will be even more focused and eminently more capable than the outgoing models. With the budget Chevy has available it will be harder here on in for SRT to compete with them with the Viper.

Think about it. The base Vette uses CF and magnesium like the GTS, has the same brakes as the GTS, has better shocks than the GTS, upgraded leather interior almost like the GTS etc. you have to give credit where it's due. I'm not overly fond of the design but technically speaking this base Vette is incredible. I can only imagine what the upcoming Z06 and ZR1 will be like, especially performance wise, since the outgoing ones are still top dogs.

SRT will have to step it up big time in the near future IMO.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Overall I think the new car looks great with a lot of options to personalize the car by painting the roof panel, color matching the intake ducts, etc.

Having said that, I would not buy the first year model for the simple reason that I don't expect all the new technology to have the kinks worked out of it. Cylinder deactivation, direct injection, etc is going to be a headache knowing GM....they very often come out with new products that take a year or two to perfect. Just look at their history with the Vette and every new generation. I think one of the marketing videos posted up claimed that the car has multiple million hours of computer time testing. That is the kind of marketing BS that makes me laugh.

Hopefully the car will look as good in person as it does in the photos. Might make an interesting touring car if it comes out with 500 plus horsepower and an automatic.

Cheers,
George

strykergts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree and another win for the home team. We live in good times when we have a choice between 2 fabulous 2 seat sport cars that continue to thrive despite all of the outside forces that would just simply like to see these cars disappear.

Agreed, its nice having a choice in american sports cars again. I've been fortunate enough to sample all the different flavors of sports cars, and I can not get enough of the good old American brute force. While I do appreciate all sports cars, its tough to beat the large displacement v8's and v10's

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow. Very informative vid. Carbon fiber, aluminum, those trick shocks and magnesium on the BASE Corvette. Chevy has really gotten serious. No doubt the C7 Z06 and ZR1 will be even more focused and eminently more capable than the outgoing models. With the budget Chevy has available it will be harder here on in for SRT to compete with them with the Viper.

Think about it. The base Vette uses CF and magnesium like the GTS, has the same brakes as the GTS, has better shocks than the GTS, upgraded leather interior almost like the GTS etc. you have to give credit where it's due. I'm not overly fond of the design but technically speaking this base Vette is incredible. I can only imagine what the upcoming Z06 and ZR1 will be like, especially performance wise, since the outgoing ones are still top dogs.

SRT will have to step it up big time in the near future IMO.

Excellent points. The other thing that caught my attention is Tadge Juechter said that this base corvette is going to have AT LEAST 450hp so who knows. We could see 475-480hp..

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Excellent points. The other thing that caught my attention is Tadge Juechter said that this base corvette is going to have AT LEAST 450hp so who knows. We could see 475-480hp..

Yep. Whatever the hp/weight ends up being it pretty obvious this new base Vette will be fast.