Is Imitation the Sincerest Form of Flattery?

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Cormaro --- there are some nice lines , but baby got some "Back" and they need to give it back to the Camaro, where it came from. Don't want the NB version ( Nasty Butt ) , and changing that could give the car a pretty good look, just awfully hard to get over such a gaffe in the rear!!

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Round taillights.... What a brilliant idea. Has anyone ever done that ? Sometimes is tough to see the forest through the trees:rolleyes: The only problem is that the C7's taillights somewhat resemble the Camaro's:dunno: Yes round would have been so much more exclusive... That car looks killer. I will say that it looks a lot better now than it will this time next year when everyone has one.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow. Very informative vid. Carbon fiber, aluminum, those trick shocks and magnesium on the BASE Corvette. Chevy has really gotten serious. No doubt the C7 Z06 and ZR1 will be even more focused and eminently more capable than the outgoing models. With the budget Chevy has available it will be harder here on in for SRT to compete with them with the Viper.

Think about it. The base Vette uses CF and magnesium like the GTS, has the same brakes as the GTS, has better shocks than the GTS, upgraded leather interior almost like the GTS etc. you have to give credit where it's due. I'm not overly fond of the design but technically speaking this base Vette is incredible. I can only imagine what the upcoming Z06 and ZR1 will be like, especially performance wise, since the outgoing ones are still top dogs.

SRT will have to step it up big time in the near future IMO.

I agree that some of the pieces of the puzzle are impressive, but were they able to put them together to complete a winning design? Agreed that they are using ingredients like carbon fiber and magnesium, but their engineer said the C7 is 100 pounds heavier than the C6. I would've been really impressed if Chevy had hit the 3,000 pound goal, which seemed challenging but doable since the outgoing based car is 3,208 lb. We don't know the actual C7 weight yet, but based on this, it probably won't impress.

Their all-new LT1 with it's direct injection and other advances produces less HP per liter than the Viper, so again not an earth-shattering design. And what diameter are their Brembos? I wouldn't be too quick to compare the base C7's brakes to the Viper's quite yet. How well are they cooled? Lots of questions to be answered. It's a good value for the price, as I'm sure performance on the track will show. But with what many feel is a styling blunder on the rear of the car, I'm not seeing that they've come up with anything impressive. I really wanted to like the base C7, but I think they swung and missed.

I do agree with you that the Z06 and/or ZR1 will surely be forces to be reckoned with on the track, and I hope SRT has something for them. Competition is healthy.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Corvette can drop a lot of CF into the product because, well, economies of scale. Ordering 20,000 roofs in CF is infinitely cheaper per unit, than 1,500.

I don't really expect to see CF inserts in the base model Corvette - I think that will be the top tier interoir package option. Remember: we saw the tricked out, premium optioned out, C7, not the one with no boxes checked.

I like the C7 more than I did on Sunday. It is growing on me. The base does nothing for me at all. It will be interesting to see the Z06/ZR1 replacement, if it ever occurs...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drock187