is it better to buy a later production '08 since it is 1st year of Gen 4 ?

dwhitt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am considering buying the 81st car built or the 976th car built. I noticed the TSB #5 for the computer reflash applies to cars built in the run of the first 200 or so cars. Seems like they have to refine the build process and identify and fix small "bugs" like the reflash as they work thru the production runs and hear feedback from early customers, especially in a 1st year run.

Any reason to lean towards car 976 due to its build date much later in the production cycle?

NHL2133

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do you what number they are in production? The VIN numbers are not sequential as far as I know. Both of them may have been in the first 200 or well after 200.

OP
OP
D

dwhitt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How do you what number they are in production? The VIN numbers are not sequential as far as I know. Both of them may have been in the first 200 or well after 200.

I was told last 3 or 4 digits in VIN are the sequence - seemed to make sense to me since the venom red car was so low in sequence and the black car was fairly high in sequence - I know they made venom reds early in production and black cars were made later

This was something I saw in a post on the Internet from a guy that had 14,000 posts or so on a particular website - that is my only source for the info though

SSG CHIC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Buy the car you like. I got my car in February so I think it's safe to say that is was a pretty early car and I've had no problems. However, the dealer can flash the car for you in any case.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper vins are absolutely NOT sequential. 81 could have been built after 976. And while black cars did start later Venom red was added back in also. Day/month code is on the drivers door, that's the real way to know when it was produced. It is LIKELY from the vin sequence that the Venom Red came first though as that is a wide variance in numbers.
One other factor if you like both colors is that there are a lot of Venom Reds on the market, three times as many as black. Many dealers ordered Venom red thionking it was bright red. And dealer reps pushed the dealers to order Venom red rather than snakeskin green as they were afraid it would not sell. Boy, were they wrong. And GTS blue was the only other color available at the onset.
Buy the color you like, the flash is a well know, easy deal if necessary to do.

Last edited:

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everything LEE says is the truth... not that he needed me to confirm it but it is good advice..... also the flash is not limited to the first 200 produced .... mine was produced in april and needed the flash and as LEE says it was an easy deal......

BTW u'll love the car.. i don't know if it is the clutch,transmission, diferential or whatever but i'm so much more in tune with this car than i was with my generation 3

Vypr GT2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reflashes

Do all cars that need a reflash go into limp mode and make it obvious that the reflash is necessary? My car (February build date) doesn't ever go into limp mode, but it doesn't "seem" to be developing as much power as I had expected....could that be a sign that a reflash is needed (or just that I am too power-hungry?):dunno:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4