Is the coupe DOA versus the Z06??

OP
OP
V

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One question for you vipah : Why are you posting here ?

I mean, it's very obvious you don't like GEN III, so why do you torture your self ? :shocked:

First of all that is two questions. But perhaps in your world math is a bit different.

I like the Gen III. Its a nice little run of the mill car. A bit over priced for the performance though.

I guess I like to reminisce about the old days when Viper was king of the hill, and posting here helps.

Why do you like to post here? Were you looking for a place where everything is happy and your Viper is the best of the best of the best and its the bestest car ever, and all your friends could tell you that, and you could tell them that, and life would be great? LOL

:D :2tu:

Vperluver

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree, I don't think Dodge was expecting this from the ZO6 and I know I wasn't. I still say that the real test is going to come out soon with the ZO6 and the new Viper Coupe going head to head. I'm mad at Chevrolet because I was so close to purchasing a new White SRT-10 Mamba and now they come with the ZO6 which will be pretty exclusive because a lot of the Chevrolet Dealerships can't even get the car and they're selling them 15-20k over MSRP. One dealer stated that a guy paid 100k for one. Time will tell but they way they're talking, it's going to get that same attention as a Viper. Especially if it beats the Viper in the road test.

ViperLB

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Didn't Lutz not join GM until late 2001? He's really the guy behind the Z06 development and leadership push. Forget what they did in the 1990's. As long as he is there, I don't see them falling behind. He is set on having an image car, second to none.

If DC introduces a more powerful Viper in the future, he'll just drop the Blue Devil and stay one step ahead.

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i completly agree with you viperLB. bob lutz knows what hes doin.if the viper makes a move so will the vette. if you noticed hes taken all of his ideas from chrysler to GM. like the like the new Z06 is like GMs viper and the HHR is GMs Pt cruiser. if only we had somebody like bob lutz at chrysler :(

safireviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've said this before and I'll say it again. When MB merged with Chrysler, there were 12 Americans on the board of directors and 12 from Germany. It is now 23 Germans and 1 American. You guys think these guys really listen to you? Ha ! Look what they did to the Charger after the ' 99 concept! Cars with co-efficient drag numbers matching loaves of bread are the future in Chrysler. You are asking for American performance from guys who openly ridicule " American Muscle". Good luck on getting a Viper that dominates a Vette anytime in the near future. In fact, this is probably the end of the Viper with these guys running the show.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The charger doesn't look so bad in person. Imagine what the average Japanese citizen thinks of Nissan being owned by the French. They are starting to export Quest minivans from America to China....!

It's a global market now and the entire industry knows that image, substance and price all sell cars. Who would buy a C-class Mercedes when a Honda Accord is a bigger better cheaper quieter smoother etc car? Image. WHo would buy a GM employee discount car when they know it will be worthless on trade-in in two years? Price. Who would buy a C6 Z06 Vette over an SRT-10 Viper coupe? Brand loyalty, image (vette owners generally think they rule the world) and substance!

Bottom line (to me) is that the average American thinks the Viper will blow the doors off the vette. Once the image is reversed (next months auto rags test the production version) DC better be ready with a counter-punch!

I'm only talking factory bragging rights here, we all know what mods can do to the competition.

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:

"One question for you vipah : Why are you posting here ?"

Quote:

"I guess I like to reminisce about the old days when Viper was king of the hill, and posting here helps."

OK, That makes sense. but hurry up and buy a GEN III Viper soon, this way you'll get a chance to drive king of the hill again and not only read and reminisce about it.... :p

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Actually, the ZO6 is a whole new car for Chevrolet. I love Viper's too, but Corvette is coming strong with this ZO6. It's considered an exotic also, it's handmade just like the Viper, it only weighs 3,130 and it has 505 HP, and 0-60 in 3.7. It looks amazing in person, it doesn't look the way it look in magazines. I can't stand Vettes but I'm just telling the truth, I'm giving credit where credit is due. Also Sween, the brakes on the ZO6 are awesome. It's a great car, just waiting on the test between it and the Viper.

The engine of a Z06 may be hand made, but the CAR certainly is not. It will roll down the line next to whatever other Corvette is in the lineup.

Also back to original post, unless you plan to race it, I don't know why anyone would buy a coupe when you can buy a convertible for less money. I've heard security mentioned as why to buy a coupe but the "security" of a coupe is shattered by one broken window - an operation that takes no more time than vandalizing a convertible top.

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Vipah,One word.....Prozac.......Please correct me if I'm wrong. But I thought Viper sales for 03/04 where higher than for 01/02

The main reason the earlier Vipers were NOT overproduced was that the one piece hood limited production-that is why production stayed behind demand - it was NOT because there were more buyers for the earlier Vipers.

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am amazed that people have not gotten your point about how tweaked the Z06 is. If you want more Viper power it is relatively easy to get. You will not get anhy reliability out of a turbo 427 with a 11:1 compression ratio.

Also the Viper's torque advantage MEANS that there is much MORE POWER in over a wider RPM range than found in the Corvette Z06. In the real world the Z06 will generally be caught out of it's powerband as compared to a Viper which is virtually ALWAYS in the power band.

Interesting point that just got glossed over.

The Z06 is a highly tweaked vette. Even their engineers admit there will be little room for enhancement from the aftermarket.

We have seen these supervettes before, just from tuners, not from the factory.

On the other hand the Viper can go toe to toe with the Zo6 in stock form, and has LOTS of room for enhancements.

Think I will stick with the Viper.

It is unreasonable to try to compare a car, that has not even come to market yet, with our developed SRT's. Lets see what Chevy comes to market with before we start shaking in out boots.

Even if the vette finally rises to the level the Viper has set. The Viper still has room to raise the bar further.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also back to original post, unless you plan to race it, I don't know why anyone would buy a coupe when you can buy a convertible for less money. I've heard security mentioned as why to buy a coupe but the "security" of a coupe is shattered by one broken window - an operation that takes no more time than vandalizing a convertible top.

I hate convertibles. Not for the security reasons, but the simple fact that except for maybe a total of ten days in the whole year when you have perfect conditions (here in the northeast) you are either freezing your ass off or sweating like a dog. There is nothing quite as fun as being stopped in traffic with the hot summer sun beating down on you, sitting in a pool of sweat driving you car while the cheap interior plastic parts are melting. Nooooo thanks...

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:

"I hate convertibles. Not for the security reasons, but the simple fact that except for maybe a total of ten days in the whole year when you have perfect conditions (here in the northeast) you are either freezing your ass off or sweating like a dog. There is nothing quite as fun as being stopped in traffic with the hot summer sun beating down on you, sitting in a pool of sweat driving you car while the cheap interior plastic parts are melting. Nooooo thanks..."

Driving with the top down on the beach is priceless, and when it gets too hot(lately), at least with the convertibles you have the option of becoming a coupe when you feel like it, and if the soft top doesn't do it for you, a hard top will.....
You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
V

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:

"One question for you vipah : Why are you posting here ?"

Quote:

"I guess I like to reminisce about the old days when Viper was king of the hill, and posting here helps."

OK, That makes sense. but hurry up and buy a GEN III Viper soon, this way you'll get a chance to drive king of the hill again and not only read and reminisce about it.... :p

I think you meant to type Gen IV since the Gen III is no longer the king of the hill. Too bad the increased performance Viper is just a dream.

I guess I'll go back to reminiscing about the good old days when the Viper was the undisputed champ.

:rolleyes: :2tu:

vviperr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It seems like somebody makes this post every day. Enough already!!!!!!!!!!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, the ZO6 is a whole new car for Chevrolet.

Then why does it look like every other Corvette?
Looks like every other 50 corvettes I see on my daily drive. But wait, it's DIFFERENT! It's got gill vents!!I"m upgrading!! ;)

And don't forget that brand new 427...well bored and stroked 350. Why totally redesign something that has worked for 60 years?

vviperr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It seems like somebody makes this post everyday. Booooooooooooooring. Enough already. Try to think of a new topic.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So GM finally maxed out a Vette to just catch up to Dodges the Viper. It’s about time. But the Viper will always be the name that come to every ones mind when they think muscle car.
If horsepower vs dollars was all that mattered, I don’t think they’d ever sell a Ferrari.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At a list price of nearly $25k more, and perhaps equal performance, who will buy the coupe?

How much more did your GTS cost vs say a 01 or 02 Z06 ? That Zo6 had very similar performance (maybe better on the track) and the price difference was probably near the same (I'm not familiar with exact vette pricing)

I've never worried about what any car could do stock....if I was worried about getting beat my car sure the hell wouldn't be stock.

Great, another absurd comment. Compare same year cars, not a new car and one that is older.

When DC saw the Z06 catching up they should have done something, but they didn't. And most of you don't seem to care. It is truly laughable.

Actually your comment back is the absurd one. I don't know when they started making Z06's and I don't care. If they did not make them in 99 to match your year, it's not really a stretch to compare an 01 or 02 GTS to a SAME year Z06. After all, if you really think about it, (if that's a possibility for you) you will realize your car is almost just like a later GTS...duh. Compare the pricing and performance then vs now and it's not much difference today. Granted, the "now" we are argueing about isn't here yet.

Could we get some "flip off" smilies please :D

OP
OP
V

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems like somebody makes this post every day. Enough already!!!!!!!!!!

And it should be made more often if needed, until DC does something. Beyond winking and nodding of course.

:2tu: :2tu: :D :D :p :p

OP
OP
V

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually your comment back is the absurd one. I don't know when they started making Z06's and I don't care. If they did not make them in 99 to match your year, it's not really a stretch to compare an 01 or 02 GTS to a SAME year Z06. After all, if you really think about it, (if that's a possibility for you) you will realize your car is almost just like a later GTS...duh. Compare the pricing and performance then vs now and it's not much difference today. Granted, the "now" we are argueing about isn't here yet.

Could we get some "flip off" smilies please :D

Wow, more absurdity from you.

When the Z06 first came out it should have been a wake up call. It didn't quite match the GTS for those years, but it was getting darn close.

Today is here, and it is different. The new Z06 is beating the performance of the SRT, and since the coupe is no different it will beat the coupe. Apathy and denial are dangerous things my friend.

:2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :D :D :D :shocked: :shocked:

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipah go buy your king of the hill Z06 TODAY. Oh you can't! Guess it will not be king of the hill until they sell one.

Then, when the real thing is on the streets and being tested we will know who is king. Until then it is all talk. I hope to see one soon :) and I bet that the owner/driver will not be happy with the result.

OP
OP
V

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipah go buy your king of the hill Z06 TODAY. Oh you can't! Guess it will not be king of the hill until they sell one.

Then, when the real thing is on the streets and being tested we will know who is king. Until then it is all talk. I hope to see one soon :) and I bet that the owner/driver will not be happy with the result.

Great, another person in denial.

Perhaps you can all get together and get some group counseling.

:D :D :2tu: :2tu: :headbang: :headbang: :p

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or you. When I purchased my SRT in 2003 what was King of the Hill (for US in a reasonable price range)?

Answer me on that batman.

Next, next year, after the Z06 comes out, what will be the King of the Hill in the convertible market (as I have no desire for a hardtop)?

BTW, who will be the horsepower leader in 2006 when the coupe comes out? Bet you don't know the real answer (but I DO).

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Today is here, and it is different. The new Z06 is beating the performance of the SRT, and since the coupe is no different it will beat the coupe. Apathy and denial are dangerous things my friend.

Now wait a minute.... let's see... you posted this TODAY, and TODAY, there are NO "Z06's beating the performance of the SRT".

So far, we have speculation and mule cars testing at GM selected tracks.

Hmmm... on another bowtie site.... I did actually see a video, of more than one NEW Z06 at the dragstrip very near bowling green (at least it looked like the one we visited in that area... just prior to a VOI) ... and the BEST time that could be mustered by GM's drivers was......

Very impressive... but surely NOT the best time we've seen with our Gen3's or even Gen2's.

Our VCA site, and this forum especially, is for SRT ENTHUSIASTS, and we clearly enjoy discussing SRT related facts, AND comparisons... but if you'd like to discuss the competition, please come to the table with real world facts of LIVE PRODUCTION UNITS on the track at the same time and place as our Vipers.

OP
OP
V

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or you. When I purchased my SRT in 2003 what was King of the Hill (for US in a reasonable price range)?

Answer me on that batman.

Next, next year, after the Z06 comes out, what will be the King of the Hill in the convertible market (as I have no desire for a hardtop)?

BTW, who will be the horsepower leader in 2006 when the coupe comes out? Bet you don't know the real answer (but I DO).

Great, more winking and nodding. Get a grip friend.

I guess we can try and create a very narrow view on things and spin it into a Viper advantage. How about convertibles, named after reptiles, with push button starters, and red calipers. Now in this niche Viper is stil king!

LOL

:2tu: :2tu: :2tu:

OP
OP
V

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Now wait a minute.... let's see... you posted this TODAY, and TODAY, there are NO "Z06's beating the performance of the SRT".

So far, we have speculation and mule cars testing at GM selected tracks.

Hmmm... on another bowtie site.... I did actually see a video, of more than one NEW Z06 at the dragstrip very near bowling green (at least it looked like the one we visited in that area... just prior to a VOI) ... and the BEST time that could be mustered by GM's drivers was......

Very impressive... but surely NOT the best time we've seen with our Gen3's or even Gen2's.

Our VCA site, and this forum especially, is for SRT ENTHUSIASTS, and we clearly enjoy discussing SRT related facts, AND comparisons... but if you'd like to discuss the competition, please come to the table with real world facts of LIVE PRODUCTION UNITS on the track at the same time and place as our Vipers.

Your denial runs deep. Many said the same thing about the Ford GT. Wait for product, they won't hit those numbers. Well, they did. And the Z06 is going to be no different.

I want DC to get back to the day when there were no discussions, when it was an undeniable FACT that Viper was king. If you were a REAL Viper enthusiast you would want this to . But instead you would rather look for loopholes.

Truth hurts.

:D :D