Is there a Gen 3 " most desirable year " ?

CarGo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all, my first post here, I have a nice 08 Z06 but I wouldn't mind a vert with more of the tactile sensation of the good old days. I really like the look of the Gen 3 vert so I'm lurking for a nice one and reading about forged rods in 03, small crank damper bolts in 04, ( what's the fix for that and how do I check for it in an early 05?? ) etc. So any thoughts on a " best " Gen3 year would be appreciated.

V

Venomiss

This was posted by wormdoggy and he got it from someone else in a search-

Here are some differences :

03 and 04 came with factory 7/70 powertrain warranty
04's possible cam bolt torque problem is built prior to 01/31/04
04's had a different oil pressure and temp gauge
05's had a different factory head unit
05's and up have a slightly diff. valve cover. vent tubes at the front
04's and up came with trunk mat
03's and 04's factory oil fill is 10w-30 while 05's and up 0w-40
no special editions made in 03
2003 have different connecting rod then 04's. they are forged in the 03's and PM in 04. Crank balance is also different
05's have different PCM
crank trigger location moved from the flywheel in 03/04 to side of block in 95.
05's up changed the damper bolt to 3/4" vs the smaller 13mm in 03's and up.
Main bearings changed in 05 to 180 degree mains from 120 in order to address oil starvation issues at rods. this is the reason for the lower oil pressure at idle for the 05 cars
04's up have red calipers
timing cover changed in 05 to incorporate a wire holder for the cam sensor. old covers used a bolt on clip.

Hope this helps. I printed this off from some other post and have had it ever since. Thanks to the writer for some great information.

Patrick

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
05's and up also have knock sensors. They usually make less hp / tq bone stock than the 03's / 04's if you plan to stay stock.

Tuning can also be a bit more difficult on the 05's and 06's due to the knock sensors.

OP
OP
C

CarGo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So is the smaller crank dampener bolt on the 04 anything to worry about? can anybody elaborate?
Thanks,
DanB

V

Venomiss

OP
OP
C

CarGo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But I wanted a vert.
Top down on starry nights, infinite headroom, warm ( 90-96 degree ) Florida air through my remaining hair during summer days..

Can't get that in a coupe.

Last edited:

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe that the 04 Mambas are the most desirable - why? Because I have one! 003 of 200.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
05's and up also have knock sensors. They usually make less hp / tq bone stock than the 03's / 04's if you plan to stay stock.

Tuning can also be a bit more difficult on the 05's and 06's due to the knock sensors.

If you want a vert find an 04 and check to see if it has the 7/70,000 factory power train warranty and pay attention to the above quote.

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wouldn't the knock sensors be a nice safety feature if you're tuning for more power? Especially forced induction, no?

I don't know, that's why I'm asking.:dunno:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960