is this a problem on 08 vipers?

eagles

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trying to decide between 08 or 09 to buy

Those of you with 08's please chime in regarding your experience with drive by wire vs conventional throttle cable[pre 08's].

I am hesitant to buy an 08 due to some complaints on this board of sluggish responce [throttle tip in] under 3000 rpm of the new drive by wire throttle compared to the previous throttle cable system though I am told the 09 will be improved in that area.

I understand any 08my changes must go through new epa testing to resolve any drive by wire issues so it isn't likely to happen any time soon, if at all

Any responces appreciated. *** ok

eagles

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really can not tell much difference, I still have a GTS amd I had an 06. I think this is really been blown all out of proportion. Now that the cool weather is here I think we are very close to seing a bone stock 08 go in the 10.'s at the drag strip, and many track rats have reported no issues. Chuck drove one and I believe reported back that it was a non issue.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I noticed it for the first 500 miles. Far less now that I've reached 2,000. I'd agree with Lee. If you're going to own 2 Vipers, you'd notice it...but not if you're not comparing it on a weekly basis, you'll notice ALL the benefits of the '08 rather than the DBW.

EZ 2B Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no experience with prior gen Vipers. I did think that the throttle response was a little slow (nothing that would make me think there was a problem) when I first took delivery of my 08. Now that the engine has some miles on it, the response seems faster and I have no issue at all with the electronic throttle. I wouldn't hesitate to get an 08 over an 09 if I liked the 08 color equally or better.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a 96 & 03. Just drove an 08, and the clutch and throttle were definitely different. Not bad, just different. Gen II & III felt like they had a heavier flywheel/clutch. New car felt much lighter on its feet.

Would not use this as a reason to not buy an 08. They are much improved Vipers.

cobrapilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got my 08 and have been driving my 06 weekly. There is a huge difference in the throttle response! I almost sent the 08 back. You can floor it and let up on it before it even revs the engine. It comes down slow too making shifting different. I don't like it but maybe it will get better after some miles. My SC 06 is much more reponsive. I guess I'm spoiled. I would much rather have an SC 06 if i had to choose. Its way faster.

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since I've never owned a Viper before this 08 ACR I don't know the difference. I can say it's comparable in response time to my 06 Z06 though.

Hayabusa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had an 04 and got an 08 last month. DBW is fine in my 08. There isn't a lag or any appreciable difference to the 04 on the street. Can't speak to the track. Shifts much better, actually feels refined in comparison to Gen 3.

I test drove several 08's and some felt "stronger" than others. All had under 40 miles on them and I didn't pound them but did accelerate with some gusto.

Suggest you drive the specific car you are considering for purchase. I have flown out of state to do this and made no go decisions based on how an individual car drove or based on the fit and finish. I consider it a requirement to drive before I buy, that goes for everything :D

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an '04 Vert. and an '08 ACR. The throttle is WAY better in the '04. I've become used to the throttle on the '08 but I still prefer the '04 as far as throttle pickup goes.

When I'm driving either one I just drive and don't notice it much but back to back there's a big difference.

I wouldn't pick one over the other based on this. After a few miles it's hard to notice.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it's really only noticeable when u r cruising at a constant speed and decide to accelerate then there is a lag...as far as driving thru the gears then there is no delay whatsoever

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im on my 5th viper and my 08 kicks ass,best viper built imo.the 06 runs out of balls at 5000 rpms where the 08 just wakes up

fastmd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 06vert and and 08ACR, the throttle on my ACR is much more responsive. I don't know if that is due to the mods, but I have not driven a stock 08.

Westxsrt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just got my 08 and have been driving my 06 weekly. There is a huge difference in the throttle response! I almost sent the 08 back. You can floor it and let up on it before it even revs the engine. It comes down slow too making shifting different. I don't like it but maybe it will get better after some miles. My SC 06 is much more reponsive. I guess I'm spoiled. I would much rather have an SC 06 if i had to choose. Its way faster.

My 08 acted just like yours at first...had the dealer "flash" it and saw a 50% improvement. I've noticed the more miles on it the better it runs.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had an '05 until Feb. and got my '08 in May. The throttle is not the least bit sluggish in the '08. On the contrary, I think it is too sensitive or has too short of a throw. It does'nt seem to be as linear in response as the old cable systems was, almost as if it's an "all or none" throttle, as opposed to a rheostat like on a light dimmer.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Owned all generations on the GEN 4s slight sluggish initial throttle response but you get used to it .Power wise there is no comparasion as the GEN 4 much, much faster truely in a league of its own(watch out esp on cool days ).The Gen 4 also more refined than my Gen 3

cobrapilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love my new VV 08 ACR. It is a nice looking ride but my Paxton 06's with TC is a way more enjoyable cars to drive. With the TC I have become a little comfortable and have not worried as much about the cars rear end getting away. On the 08 I have to drive a little different. The Paxton 06 cars will leave the 08 in the dust power to power though. I like the sound of the Blower too. I will they had this stuff for 08's

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang