It still won't start. Any ideas why?

97 B/W GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
  • The car sat for 10 months in storage. On a trickle charger. Dead battery though.
  • Installed a new battery. The car just cranks over and over. Won't fire up.
  • Reset the alarm. Ign OFF-ACC-OFF-ACC, four times. Got all the beeps confirming everything.
  • Next, was going to pull a spark plug and ground it to the block to check for a spark. But my spark plug socket didn't fit in the heat shield.
  • So, I shot some ether into the throttle bodies. Still wouldn't fire up. Tried this about 5 times.
So it would seem that this is ignition related. It has never had a problem starting before this 10 month stretch. It seems like it should be related to just the fact that it sat for so long.

Before I put it on a stretcher and send it to DC Performance, any ideas on some easy things to check?

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds ignition to me...but Chad's idea...probably cheaper and easier to troubleshoot...

OP
OP

97 B/W GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I thought alarm too. I want it to be alarm.

Do you know if the alarm cuts off fuel or ignition? I thought fuel. If so, then it should've at least coughed when I shot the ether in there, right?

To reset the alarm I did this: key in the ignition, OFF-ACC x 4; open/close both doors, rear hatch, and hood...2 beeps followed each; pushed both buttons on the key fob...followed by a few beeps and all of the gauges blinking.

Should the gauges have been blinking after this whole reset proceedure?

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you turn the key to start, do you hear the fuel pump prime? When I replaced my battery last time, I forgot to connect some harness down there by the battery and when I went to crank the car it wouldn't start. I can't remember if it cranked but wouldn't fire up or if it was completely dead, but I know I didn't hear the fuel pump prime. I double checked the battery and found that loose harness. I connected it and car fired right up. I have a Gen 1, so a Gen 2 may be different, but its something I just thought about that may help you.

OP
OP

97 B/W GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Chad. To be honest, I've never paid attention to any fuel pump sound before this probem. So not sure if this GenII has a noticable fuel pump sound. But aside from that, all I took off the old battery was the pos & neg cable. I am sure that no other cables were disconnected. But I'll go see if there is a noticable fuel pump prime sound. Thanks.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Sorry to see that you do not have your e-mail listed in your profile...feel free to call me...BUT, remember the time zone difference! :)

OP
OP

97 B/W GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve,
I think I enabled my email address in my profile. If not here it is: [email protected].

And, I couldn't find your ph number. I would like to talk with ya. Can you PM it to me? I'm leaving my office here in about 15 minutes. I'll can call you on the way home...

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
There is a small two wire plug connection next to the battery that may have been disconnected when you changed the battery. This could cause this problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery