IT'S ALIVE........

SVS Turbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IT\'S ALIVE........

We started tuning the SVS TTRS last week and have more time slotted to complete this V10 MONSTER. We have the foundation set for the map and have tested our ability to sequentially tune each cylinder. We have independent control of all the cylinders with no communication errors. The wiring, the engine build and our initial tuning was a success. Although we didn’t complete the overall process because we ran out of fuel delivery for the power we were starting to make. We were able to make 30+ pulls and gathered an enormous amount of data. Since we utilize other shops dynos, it makes it more difficult to freely tune at will, especially in the winter.

It’s interesting to see a 20-30% degree differences in the EGT’s across the board. Next we will begin tuning the A/F for each cylinder and bring the engine into the best possible harmony that we can. Once the EGT’s are in harmony and the fuel is consistent then we will increase the boost and go after the power. At this time we have made above 1100hp on low boost and I can tell the engine hasn’t even begun to breath. This is very exciting stuff considering our goal to make it to Bonneville this year. 300mph is out in the stratosphere but I believe the current record of 264mph is a very realistic goal.

This is definitely the most intense, custom, actually running, V10 TT engine system I have personally ever witnessed. But then again I haven’t witnessed Chad’s Viper yet. :bigsmile: We are happy to be sitting where we are after 3 months of build time. The next system we are building will take much less time. This will be the first Motec sequentially tuned, dry sump V10 TT ever produced. 1700Hp and Tq is our goal and with the boost we have left I can’t wait to get a number on the table.

We will have the SVS TTRS at the Chicago World of Wheels this coming weekend, Jan. 28th, 29th and 30th. We will be located in the Illinois VCA booth with 10 other Vipers including a few Comp Coupes, GTSR’s and many race prepared snakes from the club. If you can make it this weekend please stop by and say hello, throw a few votes the booths way and admire the hotties at the show.

SVS TTRS - Tuning on the Dyno

You must be registered for see images

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: IT\'S ALIVE........

Sweet setup SVS!

There's no argument that front mounted turbos on a Viper offer several advantages - and any savy prospective customer will be able to see visually what those advantages are likely to be.

I like the ignition upgrade too.... that's a trick motor, look forward to hearing the results at more serious boost.

May I ask the boost to make 1100rwhp?

Great to see another new design out there - good luck breaking 265mph+ :2tu:

throttle

Enthusiast
Reaction score

man, ima work my ass off so i can save money for that setup when i eventually get a viper, i hope dc gets their act together and makes a better lookin viper than the concept, and just wow, that is so gorgeous

OP
OP
S

SVS Turbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Curious, how much extra horsepower do you get from the wrench on the wheel well ?

:D

Thanks to all for the support ! ! !

running out the door, very busy and will post some info tonight :2tu:

Thanks again. :usa:

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Curious, how much extra horsepower do you get from the wrench on the wheel well ?

Andrew,

The wrench is a typo! :lol: That car is an amazing piece of Art/Work!! My concern is that Buzz Aldrin has reported a Rocket Motor missing from Cape Canavral(sp?) and that reports have it surfacing somewhere in West Chicago!!

Doh!

Jr. Sr. and Co. Congrats again!

Jay K.

OP
OP
S

SVS Turbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sweet setup SVS!

There's no argument that front mounted turbos on a Viper offer several advantages - and any savy prospective customer will be able to see visually what those advantages are likely to be.

I like the ignition upgrade too.... that's a trick motor, look forward to hearing the results at more serious boost.

May I ask the boost to make 1100rwhp?

Great to see another new design out there - good luck breaking 265mph+ :2tu:

Just curious,

hypothetically speaking of course......

If you were making 950rwhp at 10psi do you have a formula that you could explain here on the board....

if all things stayed exactly the same in the engine from the point of measurement I have given....

that you could exstrapolate how much power you would make for every lb of boost increase all the way up to..... lets say 25psi???????

Thanks for the compliments Barry :2tu:

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

You guys at SVS are in a class of your own....

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jr there is a simple formula that is simply a rule of thumb. It assumes no change in efficiency as boost changes.

Consequently the figures calculated may compare to actual results that are (in most cases) less or in some cases greater.

10lb boost + 14.7 atmospheric = 24.7psi total

24.7/14.7 = 1.68

950rwhp / 1.68 = 565rwhp

What we've done is work backwards to get a baseline - it shows your baseline engine makes around 565rwhp on ZERO boost... that's a good strong engine to start with.

If we add 25lb boost to that and experience no loss of efficiency you should get 25 + 14.7 = 39.7 / 14.7 = 2.7..... 565 x 2.7 = 1526rwhp or over 1700hp at the crank - so you can potentially realise your goal at 25lb.

Some prefer the hp/lb of boost method - but my way I have found works better for me. Hp/lb of boost doesn't really tell a meaningful story, because the real impact of boost should be fairly predictable... and the above formula is.

You might even exceed the formula prediction (perhaps by 5%) if the efficiency improves at higher boost.

Cheers
Barry

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

any idea when this will be available to the public??

and any idea of an est price?

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

Wow, thank you Professor Torque!

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jr there is a simple formula that is simply a rule of thumb. It assumes no change in efficiency as boost changes.

Consequently the figures calculated may compare to actual results that are (in most cases) less or in some cases greater.

10lb boost + 14.7 atmospheric = 24.7psi total

24.7/14.7 = 1.68

950rwhp / 1.68 = 565rwhp

What we've done is work backwards to get a baseline - it shows your baseline engine makes around 565rwhp on ZERO boost... that's a good strong engine to start with.

If we add 25lb boost to that and experience no loss of efficiency you should get 25 + 14.7 = 39.7 / 14.7 = 2.7..... 565 x 2.7 = 1526rwhp or over 1700hp at the crank - so you can potentially realise your goal at 25lb.

Some prefer the hp/lb of boost method - but my way I have found works better for me. Hp/lb of boost doesn't really tell a meaningful story, because the real impact of boost should be fairly predictable... and the above formula is.

You might even exceed the formula prediction (perhaps by 5%) if the efficiency improves at higher boost.

Cheers
Barry

you forgot to carry the 1

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score

you forgot to carry the 1

lol

really?

Actually the above results are as accurate as any estimate can be... maybe I just wrote it out in a way that was hard to follow.... if so sorry...

here it is simply - 25lb boost should make 270% more power than no boost

OR 25lb boost = 170% on top of baseline - which is the same thing said another way...

got it?

:2tu:

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

SVS, that is VERY ****, made my night seeing your months of work, thank you for the post and pics; can wait to see your motors running results, all the very best.

You are heros at currently 247 MPH huh, go take that further!

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ah, but the efficiency is not a constant. Added back pressure, timing and f/a to name a few. Also c/r if the c/r is reduced to allow such boost. These may add up to quite an efficiency drop, but the power gain should still be phenomenal!

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ah, but the efficiency is not a constant. Added back pressure, timing and f/a to name a few. Also c/r if the c/r is reduced to allow such boost. These may add up to quite an efficiency drop, but the power gain should still be phenomenal!

ah grasshoper - the formula tells you what in THEORY is the max you can make by boosting the air charge. The baseline takes cr into account because it starts with the boosted power and works backwards.

Yet a good system will IMPROVE on the formula....

The reasons why most fall short is for specific reasons - you mentioned one.

Efficiency is NOT constant correct - but this can work in our favor.... but I'm too tired at 3am to spell it out

hint: the good systems improve efficiency as boost climbs and peak at the intended maximum operating boost

A good system is functional as well as looking pretty where the intake and exhaust plumbing etc all balance correctly. No point in a 6" intake and a 3" exhaust for example - one will limit the other.

:D

OP
OP
S

SVS Turbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Barry,

Thank you for the formula. I understand it is based on all things staying the same at inception.....I had a similar formula from a friend but never wrote it down and had to always keep asking him to figure it for me :2tu:

Thanks everyone for the support. We definitely will try our hardest to achieve an actual RECORD at the Salt Flats for the Viper in 2005. 264mph feels attainable and realistic. Everyones kind words and support will keep positive energy coming our way and believe me when I say we will soak up every drop of it :cool:

On a side note:

I just wanted to plug the Illinois VCA once again at the World of Wheels in Chicago. Dodge graciously brought out the GTSR Viper concept and a White/Blue recently finished Comp Coupe that is for sale at the show and has working SRT-10 headlights :2tu: The GTSR Viper concept......OH yEAH :cool: SVS also has an S/C custom V10 on display that is badass! Bill Sampangnaro and Tom Shapiro represented Viper on Channel 9 WGN this morning at the W.O.W. The booth is awesome and all the members did a fantastic job putting it together.......Check out our website next week and I will have full coverage of the show......