It's not your father's V10

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been reading and watching the tapes on the V10 mods. There are some key mods that will result in a much more responsive engine. The reduction in weight in the clutch, the lighter pistons with reduced friction, the steel piston rings with reduced friction, the new, electronically controlled twin throttles, and the light weight valves all contribute to a more responsive engine. It will spin up faster. Add the 3.55 vs 3.07 gears and you will definately get a more responsive car. The flywheel weight reduction itself is said to be worth 0.1 second reduction in 0 to 60 time.;)

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been reading and watching the tapes on the V10 mods. There are some key mods that will result in a much more responsive engine. The reduction in weight in the clutch, the lighter pistons with reduced friction, the steel piston rings with reduced friction, the new, electronically controlled twin throttles, and the light weight valves all contribute to a more responsive engine. It will spin up faster. Add the 3.55 vs 3.07 gears and you will definately get a more responsive car. The flywheel weight reduction itself is said to be worth 0.1 second reduction in 0 to 60 time.;)

You should read and watch some more, it's about making maximum hp whilst maintaining strict emissions regulations.

My father lived in the age of V8 Hemi / max wedge cars back then many decades ago, and compared to today, they would destroy today's modern V10 at the 1/4 mile track, but again, it's the current green generation of the powertrain's handicap having to meet government / federal emissions regulations, this is where the credit is due for the SRT folks **** as Dick Winkles to achieve this accomplishment.

Cheers,
Mike

Last edited:

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
My father lived in the age of V8 Hemi / max wedge cars back then many decades ago, and compared to today, they would destroy today's modern V10 at the 1/4 mile track,

You talking stock stuff, off the showroom floor?

Modified is a whole nuther ball game, apples vs oranges, and is all about how much work you wanna do, and how much you wanna spend.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Modified is a whole nuther ball game, apples vs oranges, and is all about how much work you wanna do, and how much you wanna spend.

Agreed, no max wedge ever trapped 130mph in the 1/4 or set the production car world record at the green hell.

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score

To quote my engine builder "there's no substitute for cubic dollars"

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
CUBIC DOLLARS!!!

Ah hah hahh hah aha hahahhah!!!

Never heard that one!

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ok.... but it takes much less to get them going than the V10 that's for sure.. hang out at the track, and watch the old Mopars or others at the strip.. max wedges running all day long in the 10s on average. 40 year old heavy steel cars on polyglass tires in the F.A.S.T Race Series, think about it.. and that's with cast iron exhaust manifolds, sure there's some tricks like extrude honing, and other stuff.. but without superchargers or turbo setups...

http://fastraces.org/

The point of my reply was that because of today's emission regulations, the engine designs today are handicapped.. that was it, a 7.0 L V8 engine from the factory 45+ years ago putting out 450+ hp, and the OP being impressed with today's technology?

Come on now... it's been 45 years (practically half a century) or so since the 426 Hemi or max wdges... sorry, but I'm not impressed with the hp today, but respect the efforts to achieve the hp having to meet the emissions regulations.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I got respect for that era. It was the best era for performance- up to that time. I see the rules for FAST have no restriction on engine modifications. How do you think any un-modified car from that era would fare today?

One thing you gotta admit about today's technology- You don't have to constantly wrench on it. No carb jetting, balancing jets in 4 bowls, setting spark advance, changing points and condenser, etc.

Suspension, steering, tires, braking, safety, well, that's not even comparable. All things considered, I think we are living in "la belle epoch", (hah hah, that's some French for y'all Muricans out there). "The golden era" is NOW! :)

Last edited:

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's funny.. it really is, but not to go off track / topic comparing all the other aspects comparing old cars to new cars, there really hasn't been much of a feasible, significant advancement regarding hp / displacement in the last 1/2 of the century, yet there has been some advancements in emissions technology.

Last edited:

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I remember when 1 hp per cubic inch was considered great.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's funny.. it really is, but not to go off track / topic comparing all the other aspects comparing old cars to new cars, there really hasn't been much of a feasible, significant advancement regarding hp / displacement in the last 1/2 of the century, yet there has been some advancements in emissions technology.

What I find funny is how glorified those cars are in some people's eyes. They were not that fast compared to today's cars. A super fast car would run a mid 13 second quarter mile, stock. What are viper's running now? GT-Rs? Veyrons? Not even in the same ballpark.

As far as the engines being legendary. Well, for the time but they won't compare to today's cars where there are something like 13 cars available with over 600 hp and 70 something available with over 500. Those engines were rated differently than they are now. Even the "under rated" engines would be over rated by today's SAE net standards. Saying that they were moving heavy cars isn't accurate either. Most of the muscle cars then were a fair amount lighter than today's cars. Take a look for yourself http://www.mymopar.com/vehicleweights.htm

I love the old muscle cars too but today's cars are as fast as they have ever been.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got to race a SuperBird Hemi at the base a couple years ago. That Elephant motor sounded fantastic, but I walked away from him in my 03.

Yes, those iron blocks could be made to go fast, but it took huge money, talent, skill, and constant attention to the program to make those cars run as fast as they did.

Still a stock Viper today could easily put most of those stock from the factory street cars on the trailer early. Now the factory also put out some race only packages with acid dipped bodies, fiberglass bumpers, plastic rear windows, huge slicks, and non emissions compliant engines that got about 5 mpg (on a good day) they were fast, but undrivable anywhere but a track.

We now live in "the good old days".

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ar Tee Ten