Jon B saved my butt last night

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:2tu: backatcha...even though you're WRONG!

:)

HAHAHA :D ...On a lot of things...but not this one... ;) ...IMHO :D

But then I'll argue that your opinion is also right...IYO...

I will say one thing. Your opinion, however skewed ;) , is your right and I will fight to the end to defend your right to speak out. :2tu:

LI, apologies for the major hijack...to get things back on track...yeah, I agree, JonB is an asset to the Viper community. :2tu:

Kiaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
when I do the above I seem to just get a warning 9 out of 10 times.

9 out of 10 times??? No way. Prove me wrong. Go out and try to get a ticket this weekend. Get pulled over 10 times and show us the warning slips and the tickets. If the ratio is 9 to 1 I'll pay the ticket for you.

Yeah, I'll be ignorant enough to go out and TRY to get a ticket... And if I was stupid enough to try that, you'd have to pay for more than the ticket, you'd have to pay for the insurance hike over the years (probably would add up to thousands).

The 9 out of 10 times is not an exxageration in the slightest. I don't know how it is in Florida but in Texas a lot of the cops are the "good ol' boys" type and as long as you keep the cool and don't act like an ass they are understanding (or just give you a break).

Kiaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, pull over, roll the window down, and turn the car off. Place your hands on the steering wheel, and wait for the cop to ask for your license, registration, etc.. If they are going to warn you, it will be difficult when you are handing them the things they need to write a ticket.

I've never been pulled over and the cop NOT ask for these things, whether they are going to warn me or not. Most want to have these things to run a scan on your record for previous violations and to see if your car is legit. I've also found that keeping the number of violations on your record low (using defensive driving or other means) also make the cop want to give you more of a break. I've had quite a number of times a cop tell me that since I have a relatively clean record they'll just let me off with a warning.

Kiaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remembered something from a long time ago that this thread brought my attention back to... Some of my old buddies have become lawyers. This was years ago but I remember a discussion between a few of them where they talked about probable cause and it's basis. They said that in no legal documentation they've seen or studied (this was just after they completed law school) that they've seen an absolute definition of probable cause or the legal right to use it. I figured they were ripped off by the university because I'm sure it's wrote down and explained somewhere in some legislature, and my buds do drink quite a bit so they tend to "shoot the sh*t".

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have a front tag on my viper either, however,writing tickets for no front tags is not something that I normally do unless an arrest comes from the stop(Shows Probable Cause).

Niiiice, but as an officer, you don't have to worry about getting eyed by a cop, getting pulled over and hassled, and getting a ticket, because you are a cop! So you don't get it.

gthomas

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Peoples Democratic Republic of New Jersey
Yes, pull over, roll the window down, and turn the car off. Place your hands on the steering wheel, and wait for the cop to ask for your license, registration, etc.. If they are going to warn you, it will be difficult when you are handing them the things they need to write a ticket.

I've never been pulled over and the cop NOT ask for these things, whether they are going to warn me or not. Most want to have these things to run a scan on your record for previous violations and to see if your car is legit. I've also found that keeping the number of violations on your record low (using defensive driving or other means) also make the cop want to give you more of a break. I've had quite a number of times a cop tell me that since I have a relatively clean record they'll just let me off with a warning.

The least I have been asked for was my drivers license. And I gave it to him after he asked for it. He ran it, and that was it, gave me a warning. I have always been nice to them, 'Yes Sir', 'No Sir' kinda stuff, and not being an ass to them, but I only give my papers when asked. I had a really bad record in the late 80's to the early 90's, and got pulled over while driving a friends car because she was trashed. My license was also suspended. I was cordial, and when he asked for it, I said 'To be honest with you, it is suspended, this is why I was driving, etc.' and he let me go without taking me to jail. I have been given warnings with both good and bad records. So, I think it is more about how your attitude is at the time.

Kiaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree the attitude is the most important part. Unless you get a cop that has already made up his mind and is having a bad day (which is inevitable) your attitude will ALWAYS play at least a little part if not almost all of it.

trainville

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Here we go.....UNREELVIPER, right on brother! I too have made "significant" arrests that all started with a "no front plate" traffic stop. For those who don't get it......sorry. It is known as a pretextual stop and is PERFECTLY legal. In essence it means you intend on stopping a particular vehicle for whatever reason AND you stop it for whatever CS reason you can find. And YES, I know of Viper owners that have been stopped and arrested (mostly DUII).

The "making a pet project" comment refers back to that attitude issue. If you flick a cop a bunch of crap over something stupid he probably would have warned you about anyway, you can bet you'll dig yourself a hole. And if you give him that attitude, guess what he's gonna' do next time he see's you without that front plate on......and let's say he's bored???? You bet.....he's going to scratch you for it. Maybe I should add that I don't display my front plate either. If it became an issue and my coworkers/local cops made a stink, I would have to put it on.

Next, how about addressing the PURPOSE of the front plate. You're right, it's not a serious offense, that's a given. Here in Oregon, we have cameras hooked up to stop lights and high-traffic areas to catch 'speeders'. The photo-radar units depend on that front plate to identify the vehicles they have photographed.

It pi$$es me off to hear you call cops a$$holes for making the 'no front plate' stop. I personally only use that excuse to stop a car when the circumstances are suspicious and I have no other reason to stop the car...kinda like failing to have a license-plate light. Goofy, but it works. They are TOOLS and you would have to look VERY hard to find a cop that REALLY gives a damn about your front plate. We're not all a$$holes, so lighten up. :usa:

headturner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with a lot of you, that the no front plate and tinted windows laws are crap. I have been given three tickets for tinted windows, 1 the cop pulled me over just for that(lame) and the other two while they were giving me a speeding ticket and they wrote me up for no front plate at the same time. The tint on my windows is the lightest smoke colored tint you can get, so light that you can see all the way through the car from 500 feet away. Now the two I got together, I don't know what I did to piss the cops off so much, but one put me down for doing a 110 when I was only doing 95, and the other one was so sure I was on drugs that he took my pulse and searched my car. I told him I had 2 44 oz cups of Mountain Dew that day, but that didn't convince him. The front license plate ticket on a Viper is a bunch of crap. Is anyone really going to be in front of us long enough to see the front plate? But the real question is the reason why I started reading this... anybody know where I can get a front plate to borrow or buy to get rid of this ticket?

gthomas

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Peoples Democratic Republic of New Jersey
and the other one was so sure I was on drugs that he took my pulse and searched my car.

Just say no to searches. If he says what are you trying to hide, respond that if he had propbable cause he would have a search warrant. You do not have to allow them to search your vehicle. The only warrantless searches(without a crime) are visual, as in what he can see from outside the car.

AJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have yet to drill my front facia to install a front plate. i keep mine behind the windshield in the passenger side lower corner. if you bend the plate a bit to follow the curvature of the windsheeld it fits nicely.

i have not have had any problems.

alex
few cars

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looked over and never stopped for no front plate.Course my hair is bright grey and makes me look like Bill Clinton(So I am told).Guys ask me How's monica? and women swoon,My wife makes a nasty look.In previous years I was followed for sport in various cars and it was suggested that I buy tickets to various police charity events which of course I did promptly.BTW in NYS there is an electronic EZ pass that you can carry in vehicles and pay tolls on the interstate and various bridges with this pass in special drive-thru lanes.No ticket exchange,no money handled,electronic transaction to account.Multiple vehicle use.Drive thru in the Viper and it says call E-Z pass!Probable reason no front plate recorded.When I get around to calling they say"Were you driving the Viper?" (no front plate)and using your pass?Yes I was.Ok,No problem.Wanted to make sure the useage was legit. Bruce