Just Changed to Polk Speakers. What to do with the back speakers?

vincent_esq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow, for $100, and 20 minutes, I changed the door speakers and WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!! I can hear the highs, and the bass is MUCH MUCH CLEANER. I can turn on the volume very high now and it sounds amazing....but....the back speakers start to distort so bad, than it sounds much better to fade to the front speakers alone. At lower volume, the back speakers fill in the environment. This means that if I can change the back tweeters and the bass unit in the middle of the seats, the system will sound decent. Anyone tried this before and which components will fit?

OP
OP
V

vincent_esq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No, just the speakers in the front door only. That alone revealed a MARKED improvement already.....the bass are better and the highs are more detailed. It's not perfect yet, but it's a BIG difference for $99.

nevrenuf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are the various sizes of the speakers in the SRT-10? I've got a killer system I removed from my C5 and wonder i I can use some of the speakers in my SRT??

SoFlaSRT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dash speakers: 3/4" silk dome tweeters
door speakers: 6-1/2" midrange
rear fill speakers (behind seats): 2-3/4" midrange
sub: 6-1/2" woofer in ported enclosure between seats

(Courtesy of JimZ)

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vincent:

The Polk speaker model for the doors is DB650 ($99 Circuit City; free shipping). Not certain what others are using as drop-in replacements in the other locations.

Alice

OP
OP
V

vincent_esq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks, Alice. That's the model. I got mine at Crutchfield with a 2nd pair at 1/2 price off for my honda pilot, no tax, free shipping.

redsrt03

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Just Changed to Polk Speakers. What to do with the back speakers?

Bought mine and installed them last night. Music has improved by an order of magnitude. Not bad for 100 bucks.

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score

They are $84 at Circuit City today; a very clean and simple upgrade and clearly audible.

Now...with that in mind...what about the small Alpine speaker and the "woofer" in the rear. Anyone found just as cost-contained drop-in replacements?

Alice

madman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Negative... there are no 6 1/2 sub components available. I tried to find this small sub for my S2k project. I ended up with low ranges in doors, 4inch in dash and 6,5inch behind the seats. Since this sub has enclosure already take it for granted that you can't do better without scratching left ear by right hand.

I went nuts and ordered Focals 165k2p. After adding Corsa Track I figured I will run music on a loud side:). We will compare Focals and Polk with Vince and let you know if extra $500 was worth it.

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have not pulled the current 6 1/2" speaker being used as a "subwoofer". Is it of the same marginal quality as the side speakers...indeed, did they use the identical speaker in that role? If so, a very inexpensive (albeit modest) improvement would be realized by two VCA members/SRT-10 owners splitting the purchase of another pair of the Polk. It should result in cleaner (but not deeper) bass.

madman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey, Alice, speakers are SPEAKERS and subwoofer is a SUBWOOFER. SPEAKERS carry frequencies 50-3500Hz while the SUB does 20-200. So their design and materials are diferent. These two can't be substituted by the other :). The sub is actually good, it has enclosure. Mid tightass bass is what's missing and that's delivered through door speakers.

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Actually, while the frequency of human hearing is usually specified as being from 20Hz-20kHz, the very young can hear well beyond 22kHz, and some organ pedal notes are palpable below 18Hz.

Since the 6.5" woofer in the SRT-10 is of average/questionable material, and since the Polk speaker claims 50Hz low frequency response (the upper end if used as a woofer would be determined by the x-over frequency), then I think it is reasonalbe to try one of the Polks in the role (enclosure) of bass for the SRT-10.

It would not likely extend the bass even to Polk's wishful 50Hz, but it may enable faster transients in mid-bass. Since the Polk seems to provide a less colored sound in the lower midrange, it could be that bass guitar and kick drums would sound a bit less muddy.

In either case, it is worth a try and certainly an inexpensive experiment so I picked up another pair of the Polk to try it later today. Let you know should it not be a positive outcome.

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just checked Circuit City. They were $99. Found them at cardomain.com for $85 with 0 shipping and 0 sales tax.

madman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If I remember well from my audiophil age I think that what you can hear (as a noise) is actually close to 12kHz. All above is considered a 'feeling'.

Maybe there is something on that Alpine badge on sub. This badge is not present on door speakers. I would not put these together when guestimating the origin.

Jim Z

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Since the 6.5" woofer in the SRT-10 is of average/questionable material,

what do you base this on? Is it because the speaker cone isn't painted a pretty color?

then I think it is reasonalbe to try one of the Polks in the role (enclosure) of bass for the SRT-10.

You'll be sorely disappointed. Putting an infinite-baffle speaker in a ported enclosure is bad juju.

Ooomph

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I threw some Pioneer 1680R's into my doors. They're 4-ways and the sound quality improved drastically. I can go MAX volume without distortion, unless I am listening to a song with heavy, low bass. The sub is the only componenet now that gives me distortion but I don't have any immediate plans or desire to change it out. just my 2 cents.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang