Just installed NGK IX Iridium 6441

Red Shift

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a question, why Iridium plugs? I just use Iridium in standard engines since you do not have to replace them so often. And in Motorcycles beacuse of the the high revs, but to they really make any difference in a old school viper engine? I use cheap normal NGK - but my engine is blown so i change them more often..

I'm interested in hearing about your setup. What plugs are you running (including gap) and what type of boost are you seeing?

I have a 6.5psi ROE that I just installed NGK BKR7E's on last night. I was too late to start it up, I felt like a kid staring at presents under the Christmas tree; it was tempting! I gapped them to .032", but I'm not too sure where to go with this.

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn! Last week I ran 12.02 at 121 with my 20000 mile plugs in my 03. New ones could have shaved .03 and got me into the elevens. :)
Maybe it was my 2.04 60 ft time.:mad: Anyhow my experience is that changing plugs often on a boosted car is important. Not so much for a car that rarely sees 5k + extended rpm levels like in Vipers. NKG designs their plugs to handle 7k+ for extended periods of time. Excluding the track rats, 10k mile spark plug changes are not necessary IMO, but it wont hurt either.

OP
OP
X

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just a question, why Iridium plugs? I just use Iridium in standard engines since you do not have to replace them so often. And in Motorcycles beacuse of the the high revs, but to they really make any difference in a old school viper engine? I use cheap normal NGK - but my engine is blown so i change them more often..

You pretty much summed it up in your comment. :)

The Viper engine, while being "old school" still benefits from the longevity of the Iridium plug.

More time driving and less time wrenching! :drive: