Just off the Dyno With Mark Golinos Viper

JANNETTYRACING

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A special thanks to Mark for letting Us Tune up his Baby.
We equipped it with American Racing headers, High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat Back exhaust and My JRE custom Tune Via SCT.

Made 472 RWHP and 479 RWTQ

Here is the Dyno Sheet Before and After the Mods.

Attachments

• MARK GOLINO JRE TUNED W ARH & CORSA.jpg
    MARK GOLINO JRE TUNED W ARH & CORSA.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 86

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very cool, Mark must be stoked. I'm curious, with my mods listed in my sig GenII made 448RWHP and 479RWTQ on your dyno during our dyno day. I was little bit rich and left some power on the table but I'd expect a GenIII with those mods to be making more peak power and torque than my GenII considering it's a GenIII (not that peak numbers matter as much as a great power curve).

Do you know what causes that dip between between 2,500 and 3,500rpm? Can it be tuned out with the SCT? Also, do you have a version of the graph that shows the AFR?

Ted, can you elaborate what your JRE tune consists of? We have several members interested in your SCT Dyno tuning package as well as another dyno day.

Last edited:

Richie7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Great numbers congrats. One question I have though... I am not familiar with the Superflow Dyno, how does it compare with the numbers you would see from other dynos? Mustang, Dynojet, DynoDynamics??

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A Superflow Dynamometer produces higher numbers than a Dynojet Dynamometer.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gotta say that regardless of the numbers, the curve is "beautiful"! Nice job.

The first thing folks notice about Ted is that he's not about bench racing. He's about getting your car running really good. I'm excited to have Ted and his crew 8 miles from my house. :) Another member, lbstone, had his '05 tuned by Ted back in May and Ted was able to create a really nice power curve for him and move the power up earlier in the RPM range. http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-srt10-coupe-discussions/625869-just-got-my-05-back-dyno-tune.html

BTW, Jannetty Racing is one of our NY/CT Regional Forum sponsors. :2tu:

OP
OP
J

JANNETTYRACING

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very cool, Mark must be stoked. I'm curious, with my mods listed in my sig GenII made 448RWHP and 479RWTQ on your dyno during our dyno day. I was little bit rich and left some power on the table but I'd expect a GenIII with those mods to be making more peak power and torque than my GenII.

Do you know what causes that dip between between 2,500 and 3,500rpm? Also, do you have a version of the graph that shows the AFR?

It is just a characteristic of the engine.
I worked with timing and fuel and could not change the shape of the curve.

Ted, can you elaborate what your JRE tune consists of? We have several members interested in your SCT Dyno tuning package.

You get the SCT hand held Flash Device that can store up to 3 different tunes, you get a full dyno tune with printouts.

Ted.

OP
OP
J

JANNETTYRACING

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great numbers congrats. One question I have though... I am not familiar with the Superflow Dyno, how does it compare with the numbers you would see from other dynos? Mustang, Dynojet, DynoDynamics??

All Dynomometers should read the same if calibrated correctly and the current Weather information is entered correctly.

The car Produces the numbers, the Dyno Records them.

There are quite a few dynos in CT so we get to see Same cars on several dynos, and for the most part they are all with in 2 hp, but there have been exceptions to that, where 1 particular dyno near by (Dynojet) kept recording 10% higher numbers than all the rest, I suspect it was Operator Error.

There have been many recorded cases across the country Where Dynojets record 10% higher than others but I can only speak from my personal experience.

The Superflow is the Standard by Which all others are compared, mine in particular is a fully optioned version that has it's own built in weather station.

Ted.

Last edited:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
According to my experience comparing dynojet to dynapack to superflow to my mom's dyno is a waste of time.:)

The only numbers you should be looking at is the Change is Power from stock(baseline) to to aftermarket tune. (assuming they are done on the Same dyno) In this case, the increase in power with the tune is pretty impressive. Good stuff:2tu:

I too would like to see the A/F Ratios for each chart:2tu:
please

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
According to my experience comparing dynojet to dynapack to superflow to my mom's dyno is a waste of time.:)

The only numbers you should be looking at is the Change is Power from stock(baseline) to to aftermarket tune. (assuming they are done on the Same dyno) In this case, the increase in power with the tune is pretty impressive. Good stuff:2tu:

I too would like to see the A/F Ratios for each chart:2tu:
please

I just got back from Jannetty as I had them SCT tune my Viper too. I will post charts later today but I agree with your statement in that PICK A DYNO and stick with it so as mods are done you can actually compare Apples-Apples. BTW, it also help to have a dyno operator and tuner that kinda knows what they're doing. :D

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Today I had the pleasure of tuning my Viper at Jannetty Racing. I opted to have an SCT/Dyno Tune. I opted to remove my Vec3 in favor of an SCT tune for various reasons but most important is simplicity and the fact it tunes Open & Closed loop as well as control fan turn on/off temps, skip shift, etc. For my NA, mildy-modified '01 RT/10, it's a good match. My mods are Belanger Headers, Catback and Hi-Flo cats, T&D Rockers, tubes/filters.

My goal was to have the SCT do what the Vec3 did for my Viper, at least on WOT. I pretty much knew what my Viper was going to produce peak HP/TQ so I wasn't expecting insane power gains.

Here's a dyno pull with Vec3 installed on Ted's SuperFlow Dyno (449rwhp, 476rwtq):

JRE-05-30-09-Dyno-Vec3.jpg

Here's today's pull, VEC3 removed, SCT JRE tune (450rwhp, 477rwtq):

JRE-08-11--09-Dyno-SCT.jpg

As you can see Ted was able to clean up the AFR and match the peak numbers and curves of the Vec3 though he wasn't intentionally trying to accomplish that (I was). In addition, we turned on the fans sooner, eliminated the skip shift and whatever else Ted was able to squeeze in. The temps were around 90 and very humid today. The Viper was heat soaked by the last run. Amazingly, there was only a 3 HP difference in the last couple of pulls. I will post up the baseline "Stock PCM" tune we did initially this morning before the SCT was introduced. I don't have the sheet with me but I will say that the AFR was at 9.7, pig rich with the stock PCM!

We noticed that during the last couple of pulls of the day, the engine was missing a bit between 5,500 and 6,000rpm. It seemed to be more pronounced as the engine got hotter. Overall, I'm pleased with Ted's tune and service today. I recommend paying him a visit and looking into his tuning options for your Viper.

Note About Different Dyno's
As Dom eluded in his earlier post, comparing dyno's is a waste of time. I've been on a few different dyno's over the last few years. I can personally say they are all "different" be it the operator, calibration, gremlins, who knows. Here are a few of my dyno pulls on 'other' dyno's/facilities:

Dyno Notes: Mustang Dyno, Borla Headers, B&B Catback/Cats NO TUNE, STOCK PCM 448rwhp, 479rwtq:
XX-01-04-07.jpg

Dyno Notes: Belanger Headers, Catback/Cats, Tubes/Filters + Vec3 Tune NO ROCKERS 480rwhp, 525rwtq:

Paddock-06-14-08-Vec3.jpg

You may be asking why I just don't got back to these dyno's...they're out of business. One thing that puzzles me is that with my current mods...I expected to be making somewhere near this last dyno sheet's numbers. However, that last dyno sheet looks suspect to me but for some reason some good numbers were made that day. :dunno:

In the end, pick A dyno and stick with it through your modification journey.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you said your stock tune was rich in the 9's but from what i see on the mustangdyno with the stock tune you were looking good at 12.5

??? which is it ???

thanks for posting all the charts tony:2tu:

Another thing to add is that even though you cant compare dyno A to dyno B, you should for the most part compare AFR's from dyno to dyno since the wideband O2 sensor has nothing to do with the machine/measuring power. Just make sure that your shop replaces their sensor within the reccomended ussage interval so that it will read as accurate as possible:2tu:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
had an appointment to run my baseline on a dynapack yesterday but they didnt have the 6-lug adapter for the viper.:(

Wish i had a shop like DC around here, their shop looks amazing for tuning... DC Performance: Proven Performance

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you said your stock tune was rich in the 9's but from what i see on the mustangdyno with the stock tune you were looking good at 12.5

??? which is it ???

I did not post the "stock" i.e. non-Vec3/non-SCT dyno chart yet. I was refferring to that missing chart. I just got a bunch of files from Ted so I'll post up more info. These guys are great to work with.

thanks for posting all the charts tony:2tu:

Another thing to add is that even though you cant compare dyno A to dyno B, you should for the most part compare AFR's from dyno to dyno since the wideband O2 sensor has nothing to do with the machine/measuring power. Just make sure that your shop replaces their sensor within the reccomended ussage interval so that it will read as accurate as possible:2tu:

Except for the dyno charts from JRE, all of the other charts have AFR taken at the tailpipe. So, I really can't compare those Mustang Dyno AFR's taken at the pipe vs. Ted's AFR taken with WBO near the header collector.

Ted actually welds in a **** for his WBO sensor and also reads fuel pressure from the schrader valve on the manifold.

I also have my Vec3 logs whereby I logged AFR with my wideband but it's TMI to post here. :)

Dom, see above for answers. Sorry I wasn't more clear but I think I posted around 2am after a very long day at work. :D

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When is Ted planning to break the code to enable an sct tune of a gen 4? ;)

Yeah, no kidding. I hope SCT tries to crack the GenIV controller sooner than it did with the GenII/III's. That was what 2007? Almost 15 years after the initial Viper was released.

OP
OP
J

JANNETTYRACING

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Tony,

How does the car drive comparatively?

I would like to take the rockers off and dyno it again, I have my suspicions.

Ted.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Tony,

How does the car drive comparatively?

I would like to take the rockers off and dyno it again, I have my suspicions.

Ted.

Ted, I was thinking the same. The Viper drove fine....until the water pump went yesterday...Viper was barfing coolant through the overflow bottle in the fascia. The throttle seemed snappier to me though. Compared to 'stock', the Viper certainly woke up with your tune. Once I clean up the mess and get the pump replaced I may re-dyno with the stock rockers/pushrods. It would be good to know.