Just removed my mufflers!! WOW!!

Denny Wagner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi, Viper Bros!!
Just wanted to pass this along to all of you who HATE the way your Viper sounds. I had my shop remove the sidepipe mufflers and replace them with new staight pipes. Left the stock cats in place. Man, what a great sound, especially at WOT !! The car seems faster, but that may be just because now it doesn't sound like a Voyager minivan with a pinched tailpipe anymore! It's amazing how different the car seems to drive, now that it sounds like it looks....FFFFAST (my licence plate) I also had a 4 wheel alignment done, because the front tires were wearing a bit on the inside. It certainly feels and handles better now! It's amazing how spending just a couple hundred bucks made such a big difference in driving the beast. Now, I'm off to find something to eat (corvettes, 911's, etc.) KEEP THE FAITH, BROS!!

Retired (at 50) in Northeast Pa.
93 RT/10 red (what else)loaded with goodies
"Some days, I spend a lot of time thinking about the hereafter....I open the refrigerator door and then wonder what I'm here after"

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Retired,

Did the same thing with my 94 when I had it. Immediate and vast improvement over stock!!! Six months later I put a Borla cat back on it and was very pleased with the deeper and richer exhaust note. Have fun.....Kurt

Side sills are MUCH cooler now, right??!!
smile.gif

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pro-tip from ol' maxx..

Open your Jegs catalog. Order 2 of the 3" in/out 4" dia Dynomax bullit mufflers (or 2 1/2 if you want to keep stock pipes). Aprox cost is 80$ shipped.

Cut the old rear muffler off, and cut the intermediate pipe (between the pipe that exists the side sills, and the muffler) at it's first bend. Also cut the tips off the stock muffler if you plan on re-using them (2 1/2 system works well, will need a reducer to run them on the 3")

Weld in the new mufflers at this point. They will be run the lenght of the undercariage, and end right before the rear fasica cutout. Put your tips on.. place them how you want then weld them on. Make or have someone make a exhaust hanger for the rear (Aprox 3$ for the steel at lowes).

Violia.. KILLER sound and stock apearance from the rear. I spaced my tips out more than factory, and also polished them.
No resonance, plenty of good lopey idle.

For more grunt.. gut the cats OR put the same mufflers (2 more) in place.

These are the mufflers the Belanger system uses.

MM

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
J Smith and MaddMaxx,

Just FYI, 92-95 RT's were side exhaust and not rear (no rear muffler)!!
smile.gif

I agree with MaddMaxx, put some nice race mufflers and it will really wake up the exhaust note
smile.gif
smile.gif

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like nothin' but pipes... no mufflers or cats.

On a rear exhaust Viper, the result will shatter the enamel off your teeth... which is just what a Viper should do in my book. I also like how it will flap your pant legs when idling and you stand 5 feet behind it!

Quiet Viper should be an Oxymoron...

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Max, that sounds like a great idea with the Dynomax. But why do people spend over a grand on the Corsa and Belanger systems. I know they are 3 inch and stainless steel, but I cant imagine the performance would be much greater. Do you have any idea what the hp difference would be. Like I say, I cant imagine it would be worth the extra $$$.

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hint Hint... this is why i'm going to making our own in-house exhaust system (3" in both mild and stainless) for much less
wink.gif

Just give me time... working on so many projects at once! I have started scouting for a building and mandrel bender......

MM

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>But why do people spend over a grand on the Corsa and Belanger systems. I know they are 3 inch and stainless steel<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Corsa is stainless; the Belanger is aluminized.

Ronnie

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went to a local muffler shop with a GOOD reputation and asked to have my muffler cut off and straights ran. My Viper was the first they had ever worked with and the owner personally did the work. He removed the muffler and pipe assembly from the clamps out. Custom fabbed the straights welding a hanger on them and after he finished I was handed my stock muffler assembly/pipe unit. I can replace the stock system in minutes should I decide to. The sound is fantastic and I'm happy I did it!! The work looks factory and the pipes are perfectly flush with the contour of the car.

The job cost me $106 (including 3" slash cut tips that are gorgeous). I had another shop quote me $90 just to cut off the muffler!

I am so impressed with the respect he gave my car that I think we are going to do Hi-Flo cat's and 3" pipe all the way.
He estimates the job including all parts and labor to be MUCH less than what the corsa cat back cost in parts alone.
Of course pics will follow, and I think I'll get some pics tonight to post of the work he has already done, cause it's that nice.
yesnod.gif

Any GA Viper owners that may be interested in having exhaust work done try this guy and I think you will be impressed by how you will be treated, the quality of work, and the fairness of his pricing.

Cherokee Muffler in CANTON GA @ 770-479-1801 ask for JAMES.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Kurt,

Hows that new "cage"(GTS)running?
Now you dont have to worry about suncreen anymore, Hah, Haa!!!!

I took Kurts advise and a local shop cut off mufflers at a cost of $250. We used straight pipes. I like the noise, but would not mind if it were even louder. I agree with Tom, more noise is always better!!! (I dont care if I gain any HP with it or not.)
I had a old shovelhead that woke up all neighbourhood when I kick started it. It idled above 1000 and sounded like it would handgrenade any second. And it did quite ofter. I loved that bike.
Viper should sound the same way.....

Lauri

MtHam ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maxx, Tiepilot, Lauri,

I'm really interested in this mod, it's simple, clean and if done right can maintain an ability to move back to the stock setup (so I can run Laguna [a sound restricted RACE TRACK] at WOT]. Any comments about the long term? A guy in my area says he went back to stock from the muffler delete because he didn't like the way it sounded. Do any of you have an idea what he was talking about? Thanks,

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Max stole his idea from me. I did the dynomax thing over a year ago. The sound is great, it has a real cool burble when you lift off the gas. BUT, drive for 2 hrs with the top off at about 70 on the high way. My ears rang all night!! I am going to charge my AC and leave the hard top on for the next long drive!

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MtHam ACR:
I'm really interested in this mod, it's simple, clean and if done right can maintain an ability to move back to the stock setup<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am "rear muffler delete" as well as Roe 2.5" Round 2 1/2" High Flow cats...love the sound and the cost...this is not as loud as the GenI side exhaust "muffler delete"...so you could probably still run at the "sound restricted" tracks without having to put your stock muffs back on...Definitely a cost effective alternative to the aftermarket...Really sounds nice...ditto on the downshifting notes...

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He probably couldn't deal with the resonance.

If your going w/ a muffler change only, then you will have some res around 2500rpm. Ya got to live with it.. it's never going to sound like a V8. It has it's own unique sound.. and BOY does it sound GOOOOOOOOOD around 4K! Pure music.

If you want the sound w/o the drone, then your probably going to have to step up to a 3" system (corsa), but this will cost you at least a grand.

MM

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MtHAM ACR,
The guy probably likes a quite car and didn't like the "rawness" of the exhaust note. I however do like the exhaust note, especially when you put your foot in the gas!

Have your work done so you are able to replace the stock pipes/muffler if you decide it's not what you wanted. I do like it and really don't think its that loud, I was susprised that it wasn't louder.