Just Wondering Out Loud.............

Spook120

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you were in the market for a Gen 1V (2008/2009) say a couple of years from now and both cars were in identical condition, color, mileage and price, which would you have a tendency to purchase first: A bone stock car or a car with the upgraded ECU, rear gears, Balangers/corsa exhaust? Just wondering out loud and would appreciate your opinion. Oh one other caveat all original equipment was included with the modified car. Thanks in advance for your replies. *****.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Loaded question. Still depends on what the owner(s) did WITH the modded car (Heavily tracked?)...but if OE came with modded car, that's a shoo-in for me...I'd take the modded if the choices were as similar as you stated. You can always put the OE back on if you don't track the car. Just my .02~! ~juli

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exact color, mileage, price, I'd pick the lightly modified one as long as the OEM parts came with it. The only cars that scare me on the used market are the ones with internal engine mods or nitrous.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you were in the market for a Gen 1V (2008/2009) say a couple of years from now and both cars were in identical condition, color, mileage and price, which would you have a tendency to purchase first: A bone stock car or a car with the upgraded ECU, rear gears, Balangers/corsa exhaust? Just wondering out loud and would appreciate your opinion. Oh one other caveat all original equipment was included with the modified car. Thanks in advance for your replies. *****.

Depends on where you live and what the smog laws are like at that point... I know people in CA that brought out of state cars in with non-CARB parts on them, and before they could get the car registered they had to remove everything. Several states are talking about adopting CA emissions regulations, and if you're in one of them, it will be a big pain in the butt to deal with any modifications that don't have a CARB number clearly stamped on them. Trust me. And, join SEMA to join the fight against the proliferation of CA's stupid smog laws...

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Original car! Just look at the collector car market today. An original '69 Z28 is worth more than one with some mods or restomod. Ferrari's, worth way more in original configuration than modified, Shelbys as well. It will be the same for Vipers, the thought being you can always modify them, but they are only original once. Even if you save the original parts, eventually something goes missing, plus the work to put them right. Also, chances are a modified car had been used a little harder than all original, exceptions do exist of course.

OP
OP
S

Spook120

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies. Appreciate your insight. *****.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i'd buy modded (the mods you listed) b/c i drive mine as much as possible, no return on mods at resale

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Exact color, mileage, price, I'd pick the lightly modified one as long as the OEM parts came with it. The only cars that scare me on the used market are the ones with internal engine mods or nitrous.

:2tu:

Agree the only thing I stay away from are blown/nitrous cars unless I have been around the car and know the history. Bolt on cars are fine with me.

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mods won't bring you much in $$$$. Like everyone is mentioning here is how I see it

Modifications basicaly become a neutral for a perspective buyer and here is how (boltons anyway). The upside is they are an additional performance feature and or look but with that brings questions for a new buyer. We all want that Viper that grandpa bought but never drove much or hard. Modifications generaly say the opposite and bring questions to the buyer. I suspect that modifications will bring a fish to the bait so you will have more perspective buyers but in the end the buyer has to decide between his fear of mods or stock without and not as good a deal. I wanted an unmoded Viper when I bought my first one. Now look at my sig:D and I wouldn't have any issue with a modded one now. my .02:2tu:

albinonile

Enthusiast
Reaction score
places like carmax actually deduct money from the offer if you even as much as change the wheels. Personally, I love to buy like new slightly modded vehicles, for the same exact reason--usually you can get them for less and somethings that I would have done are already done.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang