Keep the ACR or buy a ACR X

MBPERF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm thinking I would like to look for a ACR X, are there any out there for sale?

I caught the Viper " bug" a couple years back when I purchased a 08 Coupe from a member on this forum. Thanks Dan. Excellent car, started going to the track and now I just cant stop thinking about more and more track time. Then my dealer brought in a 09 ACR into the dealership, I grabbed it and started taking this car to the track and enjoyed my time at the track even more, I was very surprised at what I could do with a little more track time along with the various upgrades of the ACR.

I bumped into a guy at SEMA this year that told me about the yellow #35 X for sale at headquarters ( just spoke with Tom Francis 5 min ago on this car as well) now I have a few questions, maybe a some members here can help me out.

1) Are there any other X's for sale out there ( one old listing here in the classified section but its expired) anyone know where there is a clean X ?

2) did anyone get discounted prices on new cars or are these cars holding the asking price?

3) for those who maybe had a ACR and then purchased an X is there a noticeable difference on the track? times, comfort or anything that stands out?

Anyone looking for a super clean 09 ACR ?

Thanks much

MB

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have one and have to say no comparison from a acr to x- 2 differant ball games- yes the x is a monster and better for a trac car hands down, buy it before you cant, if i had spare coin, i would get it and put it in my garage just to look at. i have acr-x 37

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
X is as" Bluesrt" says a whole different beast.

Remember it’s a Factory built race car. It is many seconds faster on a given track the street ACR. The fact that you can buy it from the factory at the price they sell it makes it an amazing deal. I have buddies that pay $200,000 for built Grand Am Camaro's and Porsche Cup Cars for $300,000 plus that are no where’s near as capable as the X.

Remember it’s not street legal . If you want the best Factory engineered race car buy the X................ I wish I had the cash I would have bought that one already.

Good luck with whatever you choose

OP
OP
M

MBPERF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys

Is there a good thread here showing all the differences between the ACR and the ACRX ?

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
X is as" Bluesrt" says a whole different beast.

Remember it’s a Factory built race car. It is many seconds faster on a given track the street ACR. The fact that you can buy it from the factory at the price they sell it makes it an amazing deal. I have buddies that pay $200,000 for built Grand Am Camaro's and Porsche Cup Cars for $300,000 plus that are no where’s near as capable as the X.

Remember it’s not street legal . If you want the best Factory engineered race car buy the X................ I wish I had the cash I would have bought that one already.

Good luck with whatever you choose

I did a thread on which was faster a while back stock for stock ACR-X or Comp Coupe, ACR-X was the hands down winner, someone who owned one of each said the ACR-X was about 2 seconds faster on every track then the CC :headbang:

Here's the thread if anyone wants to read it http://www.viperalley.com/forum/track/90063-stock-stock-acr-x.html

OP
OP
M

MBPERF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the link .... hands down faster according to a few guys that have seen it. Thanks again.

Now does anyone know if there are any X's out there for sale other than the Yellow #35? New or used?

MB

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hate to throw a wrench in your bonnet, but if you can't beat the SRT/ACR times on a track, http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/618485-ACR-benchmarks-on-certain-US-tracks-from-SRT, why upgrade your car? How about some driver coaching with NARRA?

Of course you are having vast improvement every time you go to the track (that's called a learning curve)...but if you aren't looking for tenths yet at a track like Mid-Ohio in the car you have, there is a lot more speed there to find via more skills.

PS-Don't buy a race car thinking its an investment...it is a poor one. This is pure fact. Look at every Ferrari Challenge or Porsche GT3 car ever built...none of them are good collectors, esp garage queens. Do you think a Viper is somehow different? The answer: As soon as a newer faster car comes out (late 012), the race car you just bought is obsolete. So it will be for the ACR-X. There has never been a car in the history of racing that was not beaten by new technology. Be glad you have a car that can be converted back to stock and street use when it becomes outpaced by newer machines.

On the other hand, if you want to contend for the Viper Cup..then you have no choice. ;)

Just my 2c. (and why I haven't bought an X, btw)

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MB

Man. You have it bad! :D:rolaugh:

Yes. A few for sale. Just have to look. As they did not make many.....

The yellow is sweet. I have pics of it in person somewhere. Will see if I can find it.

As you have gone SRT to ACR. And maybe now to an X, why not just go to the top - a comp coupe and call it a day! :hmm:

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep the ACR as its good for the street and excellent for the track. The ACR X is for serious competition and NO warranty.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would question the yellow ACRX #35 too. I mean it is yellow so it is probably slower then every other "more appropriately colored" standard ACR out there. That's because it is yellow. Mopar Boy has proved before that yellow is well sssssslllllllooooooowwwwww!!!!!

Magnus_

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'd only get the ACR-X if it was to compete in some SPEC series.

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys

Is there a good thread here showing all the differences between the ACR and the ACRX ?

MBPERF,

Great to hear that your considering the ACR-X, it's one bad ass factory club racer for sure. Realistically up there with the best in performance for a fraction of the cost, including the annual maintenance it takes to campaign an entire race season such as in the DVC (it's one tough race car). A few major difference's are the cars lighter stripped down trim, factory installed Bad Boyzz Series headers, Borla race mufflers, trans and rear diff coolers, full roll cage, race seat, Michelin race slicks and ACR-X light weight clutch.

As far as performance stats go, let's talk about the Nurburgring run with the ACR's 7:12 vs. the ACR-X's blistering 7:03..:D Just imagine if Kuno had an extra day or so to become more fimiliar with the Ring?? I'd guess Ferrari's 599R times of 6:59 / .58 might not hold today..

Rest assure your in good hands with the crew from Dodge Motorsports, Viper Racing Headquarters and NAARA. Good luck and hope top see you at the track in your new X competing in the Dodge Viper Cup!!

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE, INC.
Toddy

=DISTRIBUTORS OF POWER=:usa:

http://gallery.viperclub.org/showphoto.php/photo/63601/title/428/cat/500

Last edited:

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I had the cash, which I don't, so I can temporarily live through you. Without a shadow of a doubt buy the ACR-X. Truthfully, for a second let's talk about reality. What's the point of driving an ACR on the street, I mean really, just to show off. Your never going to see it's potential on the street anyway, unless of course your a road course type street racer. Are You, well maybe you shouldn't answer that. Any way, an ACR-X is a factory race car. It would cost you over 50K to replicate the X with your car, and it wouldn't be the real deal. Think resale.

Maybe I shouldn't say this, but who cares I'll probably never own one so......................If I had an ACR-X you can bet your bottom dollar it would find it's way on the streets at night as well as the track. Now go get that monster.

As far as old race cars losing their value, sure that's true, but wait till you see how much your going to lose on your street ACR. An ACR-X is a 50K+ head start in value compared to the street car. Ok I'm done, back to reality...............my lowly GEN II ACR...........:)

Last edited:

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dang it, Camfab makes perfect sense....

But, I really think that the ACR is going to be something special in future. It may take 10 or 15 years, but it will be one of the most iconic muscle/sport/track/no nannies/street car to ever come out of any manufacturer. Try to think of any ofther car that comes close to these features... maybe the Ford GT?....close but the ACR blows it away on every track and the Ring. The car is just too cool to not have in your stable.

What I'm saying is if you can somehow swing it, keep the ACR and get the ACR-X :2tu:

Cheers,
George

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What he said!

A buddy of mine tracked my creampuff '01GTS at Mid Oh this past fall, no added HP, just rebuilt suspension, big brakes and Hoosiers...

He was doing around 1:38's for lap times.

Hate to throw a wrench in your bonnet, but if you can't beat the SRT/ACR times on a track, http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/618485-ACR-benchmarks-on-certain-US-tracks-from-SRT, why upgrade your car? How about some driver coaching with NARRA?

Of course you are having vast improvement every time you go to the track (that's called a learning curve)...but if you aren't looking for tenths yet at a track like Mid-Ohio in the car you have, there is a lot more speed there to find via more skills.

PS-Don't buy a race car thinking its an investment...it is a poor one. This is pure fact. Look at every Ferrari Challenge or Porsche GT3 car ever built...none of them are good collectors, esp garage queens. Do you think a Viper is somehow different? The answer: As soon as a newer faster car comes out (late 012), the race car you just bought is obsolete. So it will be for the ACR-X. There has never been a car in the history of racing that was not beaten by new technology. Be glad you have a car that can be converted back to stock and street use when it becomes outpaced by newer machines.

On the other hand, if you want to contend for the Viper Cup..then you have no choice. ;)

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What he said!

A buddy of mine tracked my creampuff '01GTS at Mid Oh this past fall, no added HP, just rebuilt suspension, big brakes and Hoosiers...

He was doing around 1:38's for lap times.

Good points, but if the funds are avaliable I'd still go ACR-X not only for Competition Coupe type performance but Competiton Coupe type safety. If you get a chance to sit in an ACR-X you won't want to go back. They're mean track machines that provide a high level of safety.. There was a pretty serious crash during the DVC 2011 season and the driver walked away and car was repaired back to race spec, now I'm not saying other set ups (Vipers) wouldn't have had the same out come but Dodge Motorsports and Roush Racing know how to build a fast, safe Viper.

As far as racing goes, being involved with and competing in the DVC is quite an experience for these owners. They're racing at the best tracks with a great group of guys, a group of celebrity guest drivers at each venue, ran by a top notch organization, while being televisied is some pretty kool stuff, I'm sure we'd all agree. Many ACR-X competitors not only run the DVC but run NAARA endurance race sessions to hone their skills, better learn the tracks and compete with some fast race cars and aren't getting smoked! The ACR-X factory race program has brought Viper back to the front lines at the tracks again & I really support that way of thinking as a fellow Viper Freak, best said by Ralph at Daytona.

Go for what best floats your boat, but safety always first.

Peace,

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE, INC.
Toddy

=DISTRIBUTORS OF POWER=:usa:

http://gallery.viperclub.org/showphoto.php/photo/63601/title/428/cat/500

Last edited:

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me sum this up... as I am a track rat! Don't consider buying a car a good investment. Consider it fun and your buying a life experience. I'm going to have a full on Roll cage at the end of this year. Not because im racing but because I have seven children and a wife. I want the added safety and I am reaching the Vipers limits these days. If you buy an ACR-X do it to either Race it, Track it or for the added safety but not because its a good place to throw money :) I would love to buy one if I had the extra money. Oh and one side note you might not have thought about. If you buy track insurance you cann't get it on a vehicle with NO VIN number or at least from the companies I have used in the past.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would question the yellow ACRX #35 too. I mean it is yellow so it is probably slower then every other "more appropriately colored" standard ACR out there. That's because it is yellow. Mopar Boy has proved before that yellow is well sssssslllllllooooooowwwwww!!!!!

Wow. That was harsh! :rolaugh:

OP
OP
M

MBPERF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Boxer, Thanks for your comments.

Im always in for some good coaching i have a had several "good " drivers in the car with me on different occasions. I had Kyle Marcelli spent a day with me at Mosport at the end of last year where I was able to learn so much from him. Re "investment" ... I would never look at this car as an investment, comment anout holding its asking price was referring to what price I would have to pay if I found a car to purchase.

Re the Viper Cup ....... I don't know much about it but I would really like ot see if I could run at these events ...... only time will tell there I guess.

spoke with

OP
OP
M

MBPERF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Camfab ... That is exactly why I have the ACR on the track only. With my 08 and then the 09 ACR i was always running way to fast on the street and as a local business guy here driving fast on the roads just isn't cool. Shortly after I started on the track I never took the Viper on the roads again, I have other cars for the street so turning the Viper into a track dedicated car was not an issue.

I see your point on the cost to turn the ACR into a X .... some have done it and done a great job but for me I would rather sell the 09 and get the 10X. one of my main reasons is for safety as well I would have to assume the X is way safer in a high speed crash than the ACR in stock form.

If I had the cash, which I don't, so I can temporarily live through you. Without a shadow of a doubt buy the ACR-X. Truthfully, for a second let's talk about reality. What's the point of driving an ACR on the street, I mean really, just to show off. Your never going to see it's potential on the street anyway, unless of course your a road course type street racer. Are You, well maybe you shouldn't answer that. Any way, an ACR-X is a factory race car. It would cost you over 50K to replicate the X with your car, and it wouldn't be the real deal. Think resale.

Maybe I shouldn't say this, but who cares I'll probably never own one so......................If I had an ACR-X you can bet your bottom dollar it would find it's way on the streets at night as well as the track. Now go get that monster.

As far as old race cars losing their value, sure that's true, but wait till you see how much your going to lose on your street ACR. An ACR-X is a 50K+ head start in value compared to the street car. Ok I'm done, back to reality...............my lowly GEN II ACR...........:)

OP
OP
M

MBPERF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I wish ..... but there is no way I can swing the ACR and the X. Wish I could but since my wife ( and business partner )writes all the checks I don't see these expense getting past her. She is a "keeper " for sure but two vipers inst going to happen. MB

Dang it, Camfab makes perfect sense....

But, I really think that the ACR is going to be something special in future. It may take 10 or 15 years, but it will be one of the most iconic muscle/sport/track/no nannies/street car to ever come out of any manufacturer. Try to think of any ofther car that comes close to these features... maybe the Ford GT?....close but the ACR blows it away on every track and the Ring. The car is just too cool to not have in your stable.

What I'm saying is if you can somehow swing it, keep the ACR and get the ACR-X :2tu:

Cheers,
George

OP
OP
M

MBPERF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Shandon ....Funny how it seems the wife and kids become a big part of racing for me every time I hit the track. In the ACR I'm constantly thinking of them and what would happen if I crashed seriously. That was what got me started thinking re getting a cage built in the ACR.

Let me sum this up... as I am a track rat! Don't consider buying a car a good investment. Consider it fun and your buying a life experience. I'm going to have a full on Roll cage at the end of this year. Not because im racing but because I have seven children and a wife. I want the added safety and I am reaching the Vipers limits these days. If you buy an ACR-X do it to either Race it, Track it or for the added safety but not because its a good place to throw money :) I would love to buy one if I had the extra money. Oh and one side note you might not have thought about. If you buy track insurance you cann't get it on a vehicle with NO VIN number or at least from the companies I have used in the past.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shandon ....Funny how it seems the wife and kids become a big part of racing for me every time I hit the track. In the ACR I'm constantly thinking of them and what would happen if I crashed seriously. That was what got me started thinking re getting a cage built in the ACR.

Good point. I would be waaay faster if I didn't have so much to live for. :drive:

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
as fast as even a slo guy goes on any race track, your takeing a huge risk with out proper crash components,and at that its still a huge risk, just not as big numbered odds.thats why i bought the x. why not have all that saftey and extra heavy duty race components. you need all of them on the trac. the x was a few pennies more than a new acr,and one came available new, and i jumped all over it

OP
OP
M

MBPERF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well it seems there are three Viper X cars ( that I know of ) now for sale that are currently in the Viper Cup Series and one brand new unit at HQ. I'm sure I'm going to purchase one then sell my ACR so its just a matter of which car I end up with. If all goes well I could be a X owner in a couple days. :)

MB

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most guys put a wrap on them anyway so color is fairly irrelevant.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang