keyless entry problem...

Danino

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Let me begin by saying i searched the threads but came up with nothing. I own a 98 gts and for whatever reason the keyless entry does not want to work. I tried a new battery, no dice. I tried to reset it by holding both buttons for a long period of time, again no dice. what worked earlier was to get in (it was already unlocked) and turn the power on without the motor. now when doing that it doesn't seem to want to respond for more than a quick second to lock or unlock once and that's it.:brick: It's my DD so it's a must fix. Anyone out there have an answer for me?

V

Venomiss

Let me begin by saying i searched the threads but came up with nothing. I own a 98 gts and for whatever reason the keyless entry does not want to work. I tried a new battery, no dice. I tried to reset it by holding both buttons for a long period of time, again no dice. what worked earlier was to get in (it was already unlocked) and turn the power on without the motor. now when doing that it doesn't seem to want to respond for more than a quick second to lock or unlock once and that's it.:brick: It's my DD so it's a must fix. Anyone out there have an answer for me?

Did you read this one by chance?

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/577723-alarm-keyfob-does-not-work.html

Mutts02GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you tried an initial reprogram? Treat the keyfob as if it is brand new and program it to your vehicle. I had to program my new second fob twice on my 02 GTS before the programming took. I also learned that if you try to unlock the doors farther than 20' away from the vehicle the fob can forget its programming, was standing in the pouring rain holding both buttons down for 10 seconds HOPING it worked, it did, now I make sure I'm closer than 20' before I unlock the doors. Take care. Jeff

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the above posts should work if the fob is still working

and congrats on dd-ing your viper :2tu:

:drive:

OP
OP
D

Danino

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How do you reprogram the fob, the above link has not helped

DarcShadow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
One other thing you might check. When my key fob has quit working in the past I opened it up and the two little spring contacts were pretty flat, with a pocket knife I bent them back up a little so they would make better contact with the batter. Put the fob back together and all was good.

OP
OP
D

Danino

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't think it's the fob itself. I tried the spare and that was unsuccessful as well. I believe it's going to come to reprograming or going to the dealership.

OP
OP
D

Danino

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just last night. Had a problem before where it wasn't the fob battery.

coupe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What was the other problem before? The EEM (Electronic Entry Module) runs off the IOD fuse circuit...It's a 30-amp green fuse under the hood. Have you checked it?
There is also a smaller micro fuse underhood labeled "door assmebly" (I think fuse #5). That circuit is also involved with the door actuator assembly and the Keyless Entry. Check it next. If it's not one of those, I'm not sure what it could be... but if it was working before, it shouldn't be a terrible issue to fix. :2tu:

OP
OP
D

Danino

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry i was on my phone when posting previously. what i meant to say was that i never had a problem before aside from a dead battery. the situation now is that it it will randomly work after all of my fiddling for about 5 seconds but then quit on me again. really irritating, especially now that I have to bum rides here and there till i get it fixed.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Frustating indeed...and, most of us have been there. Could be fob, antenna, EEM module weak/poorly connected batteries on either end, bad contact on glovebox switch, etc., etc.

If you like, give me a call when you have time AND are by car with fob(s).

OP
OP
D

Danino

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What is a number I would be able to get a hold of you at?

OP
OP
D

Danino

Viper Owner
Reaction score
yea, thanks for the help. such a simple answer that it turned out to be. it just happened to the teeth on the inside were flat, and it happened to both of them even though I never use the second. so it took one the posts above to realize that was the issue. felt kind of dumb for not having thought about it myself...