KEYS LOCKED IN, CAR RUNNING!! NEED IMMEDIATE HELP!!

Pictureman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Back in my auto mechanic days (80's) we were told not to disconnect the battery with the engine running because it would tell the alternator to go full tilt and start to spike the voltage output and start doing bad things to your electrical system. It was an easy way to test the alt, because if the car died that meant the alt. wasn't working, if it keeps running the alt. is working. So if someone trys it lets us know if it causes a meltdown of some sort.

4B Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate to be a PITA (pain in the a**) but wouldn't it be better to take this to *** or move it to the VCA forum where this discussion isn't public? This thread is basically telling someone how to get into a locked Viper, is it not? I've grown partial to both my car and my stereo equipment, if you know what I mean ;)

Santo

Anyone can get into a locked car if they want. it's called a BRICK!

All kidding aside, the battery disconnect method doesn't work on all Vipers. I'm not sure if it actually does, or if people just thinks it does. Regardless of knowing how to open the doors though, good luck to any non-Viper owner to figure out how to open the hood.

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know I am a little late but I'll throw this in here just for future reference.

The cutoff relay is the best.

Next to best:
Open the Air cleaner and put a piece of wood or something over the air intake hole. This will cut off all air and will choke the engine. Use something strong, not paper or cardboard or anything which may get sucked in.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pull the relay; otherwise if you simply kill the engine by choking, etc..the ignition will still be "on" as well as all the other supporting components. I suppose after the engine stops by whatever means, you can pull the bat relay cable to kill any ignition/components...but do not leave the juice on to a non-running engine.

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Walk out and try it Bonks.....This is a good way to field test your alternator. Get it started and the disconnect the battery. If it dies within a short period of time, or the whole thing falters....the alternator is not putting out enough. :)

Trust me...I may not be an electrician...but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once. :)

Tell me this, how is the motor going to run with the fuel pump relay disconnected?

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Instead of calling a locksmith and potentially ruining something, why don't you get a new key cut at your local Dodge dealer for under $10 in 10 minutes? Unless of course your wallet and both proofs of registration are also locked in, but we'd have to label you as an official 'idiot' at that point, and maybe a time-out from the Viper would be best. :)

But seriously, if you're that bad with all your spare keys, get a 1st Gen and you won't have this problem. But I guess a thief would have two or three easy ways (laying on the seat, in the ignition, or in the glove box) to run off with your car then.
:bonker:

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This has already been mentioned, but, the ASD relay is probably the best and easiest way to shut the car down. You can shut the car down at the engine compartment fuse block by pulling either Relay #6 or Fuse #15.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960