KEYS LOCKED IN, CAR RUNNING!! NEED IMMEDIATE HELP!!

VipeRx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay folks, I feel like an idiot here. I closed the door getting out of my '00 RT while it was running and for some reason, the doors locked as I got out. My spare keys were inside. Can someone please send me a reply or PM ASAP, as my car is still running!

HEEEELLLLP!!!!!

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you pop the hood and disconnect something that will cause it to cut off without harming anything?

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have heard that if you conect and diss the conection under the hood a few times as well as trying the door at the same time it can open..But your ignition will be on.. Get ready with the keys for the alarm..

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have an RT but just looked in my 00 Manual, covers both models. Says to unlock the rear window, turn key 1/4 turn either way tilt window in and reach thru for door mechanical release lever. Having said that I'm sure the key that unlocks the window is on your key chain inside the car, but maybe something else will turn/force that lock. Even if it breaks I'm assuming you could get a new lock cylinder for that.

OP
OP
V

VipeRx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car is still running, does anyone have the instructions to PM me? I have a cliffnet alarm on my car and do not want to disconnect the battery until I actually need need need to.

OP
OP
V

VipeRx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not have my rear window keys outside of the car.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
sorry, but I think that is going to be the only way you are going to stop your car is from disconnecting the battery.

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remove the rear licence plate light and open trunk then pull fuel pump relay left side bottom...

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can tell you *********** the engine, then you could disconnect the battery cable. Your still going to need to get in anyway though.........call a locksmith.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you can slide something under the rear window to unclick the three window snaps, then wiggle the glass out of the rubber weatherstrip, then your 90 lb skinny friend can slide in and get the keys...

Same for sliding something under the rear of the softtop and undoing the rear clips.

On the '94 there is a huge gap above the soft top side frame rails that you could pass a wire through.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Should be easy enough.

Pop the hood.

MAKE SURE YOU ARE NOT GROUNDED

Remove the positive battery cable on the drivers side, this should kill the car.

When you plug it back in the doors should unlock automaticaly.

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Should be easy enough.

Pop the hood.

MAKE SURE YOU ARE NOT GROUNDED

Remove the positive battery cable on the drivers side, this should kill the car.

When you plug it back in the doors should unlock automaticaly.

Sounds good, I tried it on my 99 GTS and it doesn't work. Has anyone else tried it?

Reaction score
Someone help me here.....

If the battery is, for the most part, ONLY needed to START the car.....then the Alternator takes over all of the electronics and runs the motor.....what good is disconnecting the battery?

Serious! Are you banking on the fact that the mighty V10 draws so much power that the alternator can't keep up?

BTW...I hope you get (or already got) into your car!! As I sit here and imagine myself in the same situation I have absolutely no clue what I would do!

BEST of luck!

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're right Vipermad, If it were a prius maybe disconnecting the battery would shut it down (grin) but in normal circumstances I don't think disconnecting the battery when the car is running will shut it down.

OP
OP
V

VipeRx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I pulled the Auto Shut-Off Relay to shut the car down. I will call a locksmith to get into the car. I do appreciate all of your insights. Thank you so much for your quick responses.

VipeRx

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys are right, dont know what I was thinking the car does just continue to run of the alternator.

With that in mind I just spent the last 5 minutes trying to get my car turned off without actualy unplugging things and nothing worked.

Blocking the idle motor almost does it but not enough, so what I had to do was also pull the hoses from the air intake and block them as well. That shut the car off.

If you dont have the tools or dont know what I am talking about then you can just start pulling injector plugs. I am not sure if this can cause any damage to the injectors(doubtful) but please dont blame me if it does. That is what I would do if I had no tools, just pull enough injector plugs to make the motor die.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I pulled the Auto Shut-Off Relay to shut the car down. I will call a locksmith to get into the car. I do appreciate all of your insights. Thank you so much for your quick responses.

VipeRx

Try disconnecting the battery now for 15-20 minutes. That should unlock the door.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before you call a locksmith just unplug the power cable and plug it back in a few times. That always unlocks my doors, it may have something to do with the fact I have an AEM unit though. Cant hurt to try.

Reaction score
Now that you have the problem solved, I'll ask this. I didnt want to ask while you were still stressed out. You said it was a 00' RT/10. Was the top on or off? :)

There's one in EVERY crowd!! LOL!

That was good, though!!! Very timely! :)

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is probably too late, but, you could pull pcm plugs, at least that would shut down the motor. Maybe someone knows, but, when does the car lock the doors.

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I hate to be a PITA (pain in the a**) but wouldn't it be better to take this to *** or move it to the VCA forum where this discussion isn't public? This thread is basically telling someone how to get into a locked Viper, is it not? I've grown partial to both my car and my stereo equipment, if you know what I mean ;)

Santo

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you have the soft top on why dont you stick your arm in and open the door from the emergency lock which is uptop?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate to be a PITA (pain in the a**) but wouldn't it be better to take this to *** or move it to the VCA forum where this discussion isn't public? This thread is basically telling someone how to get into a locked Viper, is it not? I've grown partial to both my car and my stereo equipment, if you know what I mean ;)

Santo

anyone who is gonna steal a viper, already knows how to do it for sure. we are NOT gonna teach them anything.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I thought the battery completed the curcuit. Pull the cable,
the curcuit closes, the engine stops. I know that jump
starting my other cars always required the dead battery to
be in place.

Reaction score
Walk out and try it Bonks.....This is a good way to field test your alternator. Get it started and the disconnect the battery. If it dies within a short period of time, or the whole thing falters....the alternator is not putting out enough. :)

Trust me...I may not be an electrician...but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsmu4