keys stolen

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A local owner had her keys/fobs in another vehicle that was stolen. I know fobs can be found $30-50 (yes, I searched), but what are options for getting new keys cut?
Is the VIN all that's needed? Dealer only? Locksmith? etc. And will alarm need to be re-set/programmed since there is an extra set of keys floating around out there in who knows whose hands.
Thanks Y'ALL !:D
-chip

Copperhead133

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Chip, Dealer would be the best place to go with vin # and proof of ownership registration or title. What a bummer would not wish that on anyone, hope all goes well.

OP
OP
U

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Any idea what an average cost might be? There's a couple of dealerships here that don't exactly have a great rep with the Viper community. (imagine that) :D

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Are you worried about the car potentially being stolen now that somebody has the keys to the car? Is it worth having the actual key to the car changed to a different key?

OP
OP
U

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
She doesn't have either. Both key and fob were stolen (if that's what you're asking). She's looking for alternative to going to local dealership.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you worried about the car potentially being stolen now that somebody has the keys to the car? Is it worth having the actual key to the car changed to a different key?

Agree with this. I would see if you could get the lock itself changed sine both sets of keys were stolen.

OP
OP
U

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SUV was stolen at a different location. Although, I think all her personal info may've been stolen as well, the Viper was also in a different/undisclosed/safe location. Would original keys still start the car even if alarm has been re-set? Let's say she gets new keys/fobs with same ignition switch and alarm re-programmed (if possible by dealer). Car thief miraculously finds the car and tries to enter through hatch with original key. Would alarm go off and or go in to shut-down mode if tried to start? (for all you car thieves out there following this) :D